Aftermarket spring vs. coilover ride differences

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I have CS springs on my car right now, I had H&R Sport on my previous car, but I have never had a proper coilover setup.
Somebody can explain it to me, what it would be the difference with a proper adjustable setup?
It would ride smoother, less bouncy?

I don't know if this will help you out, or if you already know this information. But back when I had my 3000 GT I was interested in a coil-over set-up, but I never got that far into mods.

"Available for the 3000GT/Stealth platform, the STREET FLEX system is just that - flexible! It offers the ultimate in adjustability. The Street Flex offers height adjustment independent from the spring load - so you can lower the car without affecting the springs compression and shock damping. It comes with adjustments for height (slammed to lifted!), spring load, 16-way adjustable damping struts which you can adjust with the twist of a thumb-screw at the top of each strut, upper pillow-ball mounts, and it is compabible with the EDFC so you can control the strut damping on the fly from inside the car!"

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItemBundle.asp?idProduct=31239

I'm the only person here who has made it known they're on coils lol. Dump those cs for a set of bcs or ksports. You can have that same ride height and much better ride and performance. You can set them to full stiff or bouncy but really it depends on how soft you can go without bottoming out on dips when you are at a low setting. For corksport height you would be at a stiffer setting. Also you can adjust the camber on the front strut to neg 1.5 max to help with clearance and cornering. The rear you probably want a camber arm for low operations.

So pretty much, I can lower my car as I want it(slam it) and I will still have the factory ride?

When I was looking at TEIN they didn't have a pillowball mount option priced with competitors. It may have changed. But you want the pillowball for better cornering performance.

I'm looking to lower a bit more and specially to get rid of the rake as well.
So, if the ride will be stiff with the coilover adjusted that low, than what will be different compared to the CS springs? This is what I don't understand, "better ride". What that means?
I'm trying to justify the big price difference. It is worth getting a $1000 setup or not?

So pretty much, I can lower my car as I want it(slam it) and I will still have the factory ride?
That's not what he said. How would you end up with a "factory ride" if you drop it 4" and have to go to a stiffer spring setting to keep it from bottoming out?

We have sent both messages, at the same time. I have wrote that to banjos-n-beer answer.

Last edited:
We have sent both messages, at the same time. I have wrote that to banios-n-beer answer.

I really don't know the answer to your question (post #5). I figured some of the more experienced folks could add some more details about the advantages of a nice coil-over set-up. I sold my 3000 GT before I got to modifying the suspension.

No if you slam your car you will not get factory ride. You would have to ride on full stiff to prevent your wheel hitting your fender, assuming you are using a wheel with a lower than oem offset. Ie 20x8.5 40 or less

If you , went h&r height you could set a softer rebound and have a smoother possibly smoother than OEM ride.

CS stiff, or BC stiff, at the end it will be stiff, no matter what right?
So what is the difference, between the two? The only difference is that the ride height can be adjusted?

I'm fine now, with the camber angles.
Why would I spend $1000 on a new setup, that is my question. What I would gain from it?
I'm even thinking about, cutting off a dead spiral from the rear springs, to get rid of the rake.

Hate to butt in but i love my h&r springs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they are great, that is what I had on my 08' VW.
Now, I want to go as low as possible.
Compact Urban Vehicle.(CUV) Not SUV

Back