20,000 miles in a CX5 GT-R...

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
How much danger can there be when traffic's only going 10 MPH? ;)

Ironically that's when all the noobs are getting into fender benders..meanwhile everyone is driving like 80-90-100mph in the passing lane during light traffic with no issue

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
2018 Mazda CX-5 Workshop Manual someone posted before.

okay thanks.. after digging, turns out these are the same brakes used since the 2016 cx-9.. and supposedly a direct bolt on. Probably will do an upgrade later.

:
CX5 GT-R
I can tell that you love to make assumptions. I've changed a few flat tires in different scenarios, including on the side of the highway. I know how dangerous it is. I also know that the amount of time it would take for me to swap a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the rear is maybe only a few minutes longer than taking the front tire off and putting the spare on. If you can sit and clench your cheeks while you use the scissor jack to raise the car, you'll survive swapping the rear tire to the front. I'm surprised you aren't condemning all the manufacturers that include scissor jacks as emergency jacks.

We've discussed this before, let's just agree to disagree.

The sports car fanatic in me lives on. I'm the "carry a can of fix-a-flat with sensor-safe good" type. It only has to make it to t he next exit, etc. I do NOT want to be on the side of the highway.

:
CX5 GT-R
2 piston, 320mm floating disc (one piece though). In comparison corksport BBK is 325 MM and some wonkey rotor width. What mods are you gonna do? Corksport pretty much has as full coldside upgrade https://corksport.com/cx5/2017-cx-5/power/

I already listed all the mods I am doing/have done. I have always felt that if you want a faster vehicle you should just buy one. I used to mod the everloving s*** out of my cars (as in, stripped down to the unibody, and built from there, chassis bracing, new transmission, new engine, etc etc etc.) Done with that. If you want a faster car...they make 'em, is my motto nowadays.

:
CX5 GT-R
Hope to have some special promotions or deals with the CX5 soon.

Honestly, and truthfully, if I had a 2017 AWD GT and had all I wanted for features, I'd just pay it off and chill, brother. I'm squarely in my income bracket for vehicle, and I'd rather just have the money than the note. My real reason for upgrade was that I was out of warranty, and the 2015 had $1800 in repairs due, and there was no guarantee it wouldn't break when I drove it out of the shop, and I never really liked it anyways, and I still had a few years left to pay it off, so...I figured the extra $200/mo note (I bought the 2015 used, 2019 new) wouldn't bother me as much as worrying about something truly $$$ breaking on a car I wasn't a huge fan of. but if you have a 2017 under warranty, etc. etc. etc. I'd just keep it. #LifeAdvice

But as an enthusiast...also check out the Stelvio, see what kind of warranty you can get, and if a dealer is nearby. I have no nearby Alfa dealers. I don't trust FCA products. But the Stelvio IS more fun. If not a Stelvio, then yes, the GT-R/Signature will be a lot more "car" and if you don't care about the car note, etc. a whole lot, I'd wait until the end of the year. The 2020's aren't getting any real upgrades as far as I know, so buy you a 2019 NOS and be happy at a discount!

Great, great write up. I wonder if this is the issue with the tranny you were describing ? We have Eternal Blue, also. Who provides the warranty? Mazda????

"Active Adaptive Shift (AAS) automatically controls the transaxle shift points to best suit the road conditions and driver input. This improves driving feel. The transaxle may switch to AAS mode when driving up and down slopes, cornering, driving at high elevations, or depressing the accelerator pedal quickly while the selector lever is in the D position. Depending on the road and driving conditions/vehicle operations, gear shifting could be delayed or not occur, however, this does not indicate a problem because the AAS mode will maintain the optimum gear position."

Last edited:
:
CX5 GT-R
Great, great write up. I wonder if this is the issue with the tranny you were describing ? We have Eternal Blue, also. Who provides the warranty? Mazda????

"Active Adaptive Shift (AAS) automatically controls the transaxle shift points to best suit the road conditions and driver input. This improves driving feel. The transaxle may switch to AAS mode when driving up and down slopes, cornering, driving at high elevations, or depressing the accelerator pedal quickly while the selector lever is in the D position. Depending on the road and driving conditions/vehicle operations, gear shifting could be delayed or not occur, however, this does not indicate a problem because the AAS mode will maintain the optimum gear position."

Yes! Very likely

:
Fmr CX5 Touring
Damn, that's a review.

I posted here a bit a few years ago when I had a 2015. It didn't rattle but it was noisy (wind and road). I got rid of it for an Accord, had all the toys I wanted, but sometimes you need something with just a little bit of ground clearance, and the new Accords don't have it. Mine also has low-profile tires and potholes are scary and hit hard.

You addressed some questions: noise improvement, figured the knob would be terrible and maybe it isn't, but still have a couple.

On my CX-5 there were times, especially in an emergency, where my size 12 hit both brake and gas at the same time. I stopped safely, but it never felt certain that I'd hit the brake cleanly. Still a problem? Never a problem for you?

I use Adaptive cruise extensively and I trust my car, most of the time, because I do hit the brake and sometimes it's too aggressive about stopping, to stop from speed. It sounds like the CX-5 is maybe less confidence inspiring?

Is the center armrest still too far back and too small?

Finally, I remember the handling being fun but not great. By that I mean I'd enjoy cornering but it also felt like it was going to roll if I pushed, something, my current, uh, car, doesn't do. I did drive a 2017 GT and remember it feeling planted, but, somehow, less dynamic, if that even makes sense.

Thanks for any insight.