2023 CX-5 Turbo vs Premium Plus

Mazda is going to an 8-sp with the new CX's. I wonder if it will be used in the CX-5 and 50?
Any links for that info? I wonder if the 8-speed auto Mazda is going to use is from Aisin used by the Citroën C4 or developed in-house?

I seriously have never gotten anywhere near that low. I would be disappointed if i did. I hand figure every tankful ie miles driven divided by gallons used. This usually gives slightly better than the car computer shows. Most recent fill up was 250 miles took 7.5 gallons. Heading home tomorrow from a trip and will try and remember to take a photo of mpg and pump

returned from a ~1800 roadtrip traveling with a 2017 cx5 and I consistently got slightly better mpg. best tank was just over 33mpg and worst 28mpg. there were 4 adults in mine and 3 adults in the other. did a tour of Washington wine country and came back really loaded down with wine.

Links for what info? The new CX-90 and CX-70 are using an 8-sp.
As stated, more detailed info, such as is it a brand new transmission developed by Mazda itself, or an available transmission made by a third party like Aisin, on this 8-speed auto Mazda is going to use.

It seems they did the 8-sp on their own....

"New eight-speed multi-clutch automatic transmission
Mazda has done away with the Aisin-developed six-speed transmission in its front-wheel-drive cars, and developed an all-new gearbox in house for the CX-60."

Mazda has done away with the Aisin-developed six-speed transmission in its front-wheel-drive cars, and developed an all-new gearbox in house for the CX-60."
Oh OK. For some reason I alway thought the current 6-speed SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission is developed in house by Mazda.

I'm not that excited about some of the new models. More expensive and more problems.

Also many critics and owners have complained about noise, vibration or ride quality, which is not the case (the opposite, actually) with the CX-5 which is half the price. Some of this is because of the low profile tires, but not all of it. The suspension tuning needs work for a vehicle with a luxury pricetag.

I'm not that excited about some of the new models. More expensive and more problems.

Also many critics and owners have complained about noise, vibration or ride quality, which is not the case (the opposite, actually) with the CX-5 which is half the price. Some of this is because of the low profile tires, but not all of it. The suspension tuning needs work for a vehicle with a luxury pricetag.
Do people still remember the promised SkyActiv-X / SPCCI / HCCI 2.0L? Isn’t it supposed to be the future of the Mazda with break-throuigh technology on BOTH performance AND efficiency?

yes the price is now near the luxury cars territory pricing. Even for cx5 top trims. And the CX90 pricing ... no comment. For that price there are better choices.

returned from a ~1800 roadtrip traveling with a 2017 cx5 and I consistently got slightly better mpg. best tank was just over 33mpg and worst 28mpg. there were 4 adults in mine and 3 adults in the other. did a tour of Washington wine country and came back really loaded down with wine.
2017 is clearly not a Turbo, so can't compare

Speaking of which I have to admit that Turbo filled with 93 becomes a completely different beast.
As 93 gets closer to $4 I switched to it.
Just returned from a NYC-Washington roundtrip, mostly at 74mph but with some city driving and congestions, and couldn't believe my eyes - the trip averaged above 28mpg

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 48
Do people still remember the promised SkyActiv-X / SPCCI / HCCI 2.0L? Isn’t it supposed to be the future of the Mazda with break-throuigh technology on BOTH performance AND efficiency?
i think they did offer it, but it didn't sell due to costing a lot more than models with the older engines. they may still have it overseas and in other markets still though.

yes the price is now near the luxury cars territory pricing. Even for cx5 top trims. And the CX90 pricing ... no comment. For that price there are better choices.
speaking of that, saw a cx-90 in person for the first time today. was behind it so saw mainly the rearend and right side. it looked largely (no pun intended) like a big cx-5 to me. this one was black though so may have looked better/easier to see design in another color.

The CX-90 Turbo S has me drooling, but the price, not so much. One of the primary reasons I came over to Mazda because the CX5 turbo checked all of the boxes at a very reasonable price point by today’s market. The 90 is pushing 60K! For that kind of money, there are better choices IMO.

But what choices with a 340hp inline 6 turbo and the equipment it offers for the money? Not many at that price point. Look at an Acura MDX Type S for example, which STARTS at 70k. The CX-5 2.5T is a great car but the CX-90 is in a different class and should cost what it does. I am interested in the CX-70 as it will certainly be cheaper and will also have the 340hp option with less weight to haul around. Just watched a Motorweek road test of the CX-90 Turbo S, and it was not as quick as I had hoped (slower than a CX-5 turbo). The 2024 Mazda CX-90 is a Force to Be Reckoned With | MotorWeek Road Test

Perhaps I should have been more clear. For me, if I am going to plop down 60k+ then I’m going to get back into a pick up truck. I’ve owned them for years, and the F150 2.7 mileage is not a whole lot different than the Mazda. I would get much more use out of one than a 3 row big SUV. However if I were in the market specifically for a big SUV, then the Turbo S would be high on the list.
Just read the Car & Driver review on the top big suvs and the CX90 won. It was a pretty solid review that impressed me.

Back