CX-60 4 Month Owner Review

Hi all from a new member on here,
I've seen some of the CX-60 issues listed and as an early UK adopter I thought I'd give a review of my first 4 months in a CX-60.
For value its unbeatable. I moved from a Jaguar F Pace due to a 15-18month order lead time, spec reductions and a 7% price increase when I ordered a new one. I looked at the BMW's, Mercedes, Audi's, Lexus etc and none compared to the F Pace for me but the CX-60 caught my eye. I read and watched every review then cancelled my F Pace order and ordered a CX-60. The comparable F Pace PHEV, as fully specc'ed as the CX60, would cost £75k+, I got the CX-60 in top Takumi grade with all the packs for just under £50k; a massive difference.
My initial advice would be..
1. If you're worried about depreciation take out a PCP deal so you get some final value price protection.
2. Make sure you've had all the updates
3. Take up the offer of the changed shock absorbers. It made a big difference to ride comfort.
4. By the 3 extra 'packs'. They were an additional £2,500 when I bought mine and well worth it.
5. Get the top spec Takumi grade if you can. The light interior is beautiful, and it was the only one with silver alloys if you don't like black ones.
The specification is amazing. For under £50k the CX-60 has Head Up Display, digital dashboard, heated and ventilated all electric front seats, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, driver personalisation system, gesture tailgate, 360 degree cameras, key-less entry, every safety and collision avoidance system known to man and probably a lot more I haven't mentioned; I can't think of anything it doesn't have. Most of these would be expensive extras elsewhere. Then it has 5 drive modes including Sport Mode, Off Road and Towing Mode. It also has a very short order lead time; 6wks from order to collection for mine.
The only downsides are with battery charging and range. I only get 25-28miles range in the battery using my home charger (something I've raised with Pod Point) and mid-thirties when charging at the dealer, so I'm not going to get the advertised 39miles range when I start driving. Allowing for all the heater, aircon, radio etc I do get pretty much the mileage it says on the dashboard... except in very cold weather which does knock quite a few miles off the range as it heats up the battery, the engine and the cabin, but that's to be expected for all PHEV's.
I've also had the low 12v battery warning but that seems to be a software issue rather than a technical battery fault. I know the Mazda technical team are working to resolve all these issues.
My verdict. Would I buy it again? Yes! My only issues are with the the mileage range I'm getting when charging up the battery but I'm retired with a 25 mile round trip two or three times a week so 25miles range is ok. You may want to reconsider if you need a lot more than that but of course you do have the powerful petrol engine there too as back up. The dealer put half a tank of petrol in when I bought mine; 2 months later I still had just under half a tank left as the pure electric range in EV mode got me wherever I needed to go. I did have to top up when I had some 250mile journeys around Xmas and was getting 35-36mpg on the motorway which isn't bad for a two tonne+ car.
Would I spend an extra 10-25k for a similar fully specc'd PHEV from Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc just for the sake of an extra 10miles of battery range? No, I wouldn't. If you accept the reduced range compared to what was advertised then the value, the very high specification, the safety features and the performance make it a very good buy.

3. Take up the offer of the changed shock absorbers. It made a big difference to ride comfort.
4. By the 3 extra 'packs'. They were an additional £2,500 when I bought mine and well worth it.

Nice review. I have been watching lots of CX-60 video reviews and I found it interesting that some reviews say the ride is too soft and plush and others say it is too firm and sporty.

Can you tell us a bit more about the offer of new shock absorbers and also, what are the packs you talk about?

Nice review. I have been watching lots of CX-60 video reviews and I found it interesting that some reviews say the ride is too soft and plush and others say it is too firm and sporty.

Can you tell us a bit more about the offer of new shock absorbers and also, what are the packs you talk about?
Hi Dougal,
I found the ride too firm, especially on uneven rural roads. There is an option to change the shock absorbers but you need to ask the dealer; Mazda are aware and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on here. I found it made a positive difference and wasn't in any way soft or wallowy after the change. I'd even say the handling was improved.
For the 'packs' go onto the Mazda website and the 'Build Your Mazda' section for hours of fun fine-tuning your perfect spec! There are 3 optional accessory packs on there depending which base model you choose (Comfort/Convenience/Driver Assistance) plus other more basic accessories. They are all good value and you'd pay a lot more for those extras with so called better marques.
Hope that helped.

I've seen some of the CX-60 issues listed and as an early UK adopter I thought I'd give a review of my first 4 months in a CX-60.
For value its unbeatable. I moved from a Jaguar F Pace due to a 15-18month order lead time, spec reductions and a 7% price increase when I ordered a new one. I looked at the BMW's, Mercedes, Audi's, Lexus etc and none compared to the F Pace for me but the CX-60 caught my eye. I read and watched every review then cancelled my F Pace order and ordered a CX-60. The comparable F Pace PHEV, as fully specc'ed as the CX60, would cost £75k+, I got the CX-60 in top Takumi grade with all the packs for just under £50k; a massive difference.
1. If you're worried about depreciation take out a PCP deal so you get some final value price protection.
5. Get the top spec Takumi grade if you can. The light interior is beautiful, and it was the only one with silver alloys if you don't like black ones.
The specification is amazing. For under £50k the CX-60 has Head Up Display, digital dashboard, heated and ventilated all electric front seats, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, driver personalisation system, gesture tailgate, 360 degree cameras, key-less entry, every safety and collision avoidance system known to man and probably a lot more I haven't mentioned; I can't think of anything it doesn't have. Most of these would be expensive extras elsewhere. Then it has 5 drive modes including Sport Mode, Off Road and Towing Mode. It also has a very short order lead time; 6wks from order to collection for mine.
The only downsides are with battery charging and range. I only get 25-28miles range in the battery using my home charger (something I've raised with Pod Point) and mid-thirties when charging at the dealer, so I'm not going to get the advertised 39miles range when I start driving. Allowing for all the heater, aircon, radio etc I do get pretty much the mileage it says on the dashboard... except in very cold weather which does knock quite a few miles off the range as it heats up the battery, the engine and the cabin, but that's to be expected for all PHEV's.
I've also had the low 12v battery warning but that seems to be a software issue rather than a technical battery fault. I know the Mazda technical team are working to resolve all these issues.
My verdict. Would I buy it again? Yes! My only issues are with the the mileage range I'm getting when charging up the battery but I'm retired with a 25 mile round trip two or three times a week so 25miles range is ok. You may want to reconsider if you need a lot more than that but of course you do have the powerful petrol engine there too as back up. The dealer put half a tank of petrol in when I bought mine; 2 months later I still had just under half a tank left as the pure electric range in EV mode got me wherever I needed to go. I did have to top up when I had some 250mile journeys around Xmas and was getting 35-36mpg on the motorway which isn't bad for a two tonne+ car.
Would I spend an extra 10-25k for a similar fully specc'd PHEV from Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc just for the sake of an extra 10miles of battery range? No, I wouldn't. If you accept the reduced range compared to what was advertised then the value, the very high specification, the safety features and the performance make it a very good buy.
Good review, have you tried the another setting in EV settings, the default setting is charging in relation to the battery charge percentage, the other one and the one I use is charging in relation to range, and set it to maximum, like that before I know at least 45 km 0 degrees.
I can also recommend noise reduction of the doors, which is also done free of charge, it will be a completely different car.

I totally agree with your assumptions about Takumi

Good review, have you tried the another setting in EV settings, the default setting is charging in relation to the battery charge percentage, the other one and the one I use is charging in relation to range, and set it to maximum, like that before I know at least 45 km 0 degrees.
I can also recommend noise reduction of the doors, which is also done free of charge, it will be a completely different car.

I totally agree with your assumptions about Takumi
Hi BWJ, I've checked and can't find any reference in the various screens to charge by 'range', I can only charge by battery charge percentage in the EV settings menu and its set to 100%. Is it possible you could post a photo of the screen where you have that option? It may be that you're in a different country with a different set up.
I'll be checking out the door noise reduction too, thanks.

Welcome @David-CX60! Excellent review and feedback (great to see you’re happy overall with the purchase and love the comparisons), thanks for sharing…I’m sure people will find it very informative.

Looking forward to your updates! 😁

Hi BWJ, I've checked and can't find any reference in the various screens to charge by 'range', I can only charge by battery charge percentage in the EV settings menu and its set to 100%. Is it possible you could post a photo of the screen where you have that option? It may be that you're in a different country with a different set up.
I'll be checking out the door noise reduction too, thanks.
You find the setting in Timer charging, can be changed under limits.
I have attached 2 pictures, one where it is 100% charge and one where it is max km, I don't know if that makes sense in Danish, but the structure is probably the same :)

Attachments

• 100%.JPG
    100%.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 269
  • Charge.PNG
    Charge.PNG
    52.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Max km.JPG
    Max km.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 259
Hey David.

Its almost 5 months since your 4 month review.

Would be great to hear how things have been with the car since then, please.

Assuming you have the new shocks (be they factory or dealer fitted) and have Bridgestone Alenza Tyres, try inflating all tyres to 39 PSI rather than 36 PSI. This seems to make a huge improvement in ride for the CX-60 PHEV. I am anecdotally told that 38 PSI all round is the sweet spot for the lighter diesel.

Back