Rough estimate on a lift gate repair? 2010 CX-9

LordJezo

Lift gate one day decided to sieze up and stop working. The only way I could get the thing closed was to take off the metal lift gate bar and close it manually. That bar happened to also fall into the wheel well when it unexpecidelty dropped.

The dealers wont even give me a figure unless I come in to pay for a diagnosis, I am not looking for a quote I just want to know if I am looking at something in the ballpark of 800 bucks or 8000. I know there are a lot of factors in play with what could be wrong but I want to know if I can at least get some kind of broad range to know what I am getting into.

Does the lift gate move smoothly without the struts attached? (It'll be really heavy.) If so, all it needs are two new struts. Two people at home can do this, or any shop; prepare a piece of wood or other support to hold it open while you do the work. There is no need to make your contribution to the dealership owner's new yacht. Napa Auto Parts lists these "hatchback lift supports" at $38 each.

If the liftgate does not move smoothly, a body shop might be the best place for the fix.

Does the lift gate move smoothly without the struts attached? (It'll be really heavy.) If so, all it needs are two new struts. Two people at home can do this, or any shop; prepare a piece of wood or other support to hold it open while you do the work. There is no need to make your contribution to the dealership owner's new yacht. Napa Auto Parts lists these "hatchback lift supports" at $38 each.

If the liftgate does not move smoothly, a body shop might be the best place for the fix.

Do these struts refer to the ones that help the hatchback go up and down or is this the power arm?

The part that broke is the one that would have been here in this picture:

1672945907770.png

That one locked up when all of this happened and I had to detach it. The motor wasn't moving or something else went wrong, all I know is that when the button was pushed nothing would move and I couldn't close the hatchback trunk at all, nothing would move. Unbolted it, it fell into the hole there never to be seen again. We are able to manually open and close the back there with no problems now that it is off.

I wonder if @Bronco Boy has any insight into this. He had a similar issue with the same part, but it was the balljoint at the top of your picture that failed on his car. I don't know if he had to replace the part that would be circled in red, but before buying any parts I would pull apart the interior panel where the two holes are and see if there are any repairs to be made on that end. The arm itself may be fine, but the attachment point could have somehow failed.

Do these struts refer to the ones that help the hatchback go up and down or is this the power arm?

View attachment 314912

That one locked up when all of this happened and I had to detach it. The motor wasn't moving or something else went wrong, all I know is that when the button was pushed nothing would move and I couldn't close the hatchback trunk at all, nothing would move. Unbolted it, it fell into the hole there never to be seen again. We are able to manually open and close the back there with no problems now that it is off.
First, no matter what, Get new struts at rockauto or Amazon for like $20 each. I've bought from both. That way the manual open/close will be alot lighter and easier to open. Once the power liftgate is fixed, the new struts will also ensure it doesn't strain/break the motor. You don't want to fix/replace the power gate only to have it break from trying to lift all the weight by itself. Replace the struts.

Even though CX9 are rare, not too many people want/need that part.
Go to junkyard and get the part you broke/lost for cheap like $20 or less. While there, notice how everything with the lift gate and motor works.

Did those older models have a reset function? If so, try reset
Check your fuses.
Make sure the actuator is working.
Also check the liftgate motor and make sure it's working.

The actuator, motor or fuse could prevent it from closing.
You can get actuators and motors from junkyard for cheap.
Depending on the junkyard, you may be able to accompany them. Tell then you want to see if it's similar to yours.When they pull it ,you can watch how they take it apart. A few hours/weekend of your time will save you alot of $$$. Dealer will probably want a few thousand to fix.

Worst case scenario disconnect the power motor permanently.
Put on new struts and maybe use a junkyard actuator if yours is broke. Then just use manual open/close. Save all that cash for newer used car or new car.

Oh and the struts are the black gas tubes with blue sticker on them. There should be two.

EDIT: also to check the lock actuator, lock your car using the keyfob or front door buttons, see if the liftgate locks and listen for it to click. Likewise, make sure your keyfob can unlock the actuator as well. If it's lock and unlocking then your actuator is ok .

Last edited:

View attachment 314912

Struts = black gas tubes with blue sticker. One on each side.

I wonder if @Bronco Boy has any insight into this. He had a similar issue with the same part, but it was the balljoint at the top of your picture that failed on his car. I don't know if he had to replace the part that would be circled in red,
On mine, the upper ballmount tore out.

9A1B2CFA-84D0-4ADA-B6E7-51B6AB0ECFAC.jpeg

07F886BA-920B-4A47-8790-AF4D71032003.jpeg

OP's strut must have seized and broke off on the bottom. Pull the interior panel and report back.

On the struts, when I replaced them a year later, I got them from Mazda.

First, no matter what, Get new struts at rockauto or Amazon for like $20 each. I've bought from both. That way the manual open/close will be alot lighter and easier to open. Once the power liftgate is fixed, the new struts will also ensure it doesn't strain/break the motor. You don't want to fix/replace the power gate only to have it break from trying to lift all the weight by itself. Replace the struts.

This part seems easy enough

Did those older models have a reset function? If so, try reset
Check your fuses.
Make sure the actuator is working.
Also check the liftgate motor and make sure it's working

Does anyone have a fuse diagram to show which one would control the liftgate? Not sure about a reset. Recently replaced the battery though so would that reset something?

How do I check the liftgate motor?

EDIT: also to check the lock actuator, lock your car using the keyfob or front door buttons, see if the liftgate locks and listen for it to click. Likewise, make sure your keyfob can unlock the actuator as well. If it's lock and unlocking then your actuator is ok .
Liftgate lock back there works fine, it locks and unlocks using the door lock button in the car, the keyfob, and the little button near the license plate. When you close the big door I hear a motor of some kind going whirr and then clicks each time. So am I good there? Does the actuator do anything with the liftgate motor?

OP's strut must have seized and broke off on the bottom. Pull the interior panel and report back.

Any idea how to start opening the panel? I have no problems with ripping it apart if there is a guide or advice on how to do it. I don't want to just start crowbaring (sarcasm) at the panels and breaking all the plastic clips that hold it in place.

This part seems easy enough

Does anyone have a fuse diagram to show which one would control the liftgate? Not sure about a reset. Recently replaced the battery though so would that reset something?

How do I check the liftgate motor?

Liftgate lock back there works fine, it locks and unlocks using the door lock button in the car, the keyfob, and the little button near the license plate. When you close the big door I hear a motor of some kind going whirr and then clicks each time. So am I good there? Does the actuator do anything with the liftgate motor?

Any idea how to start opening the panel? I have no problems with ripping it apart if there is a guide or advice on how to do it. I don't want to just start crowbaring (sarcasm) at the panels and breaking all the plastic clips that hold it in place.
1.) I have a cx-5 . Check your owners manual for fuse diagram of CX9.
2.) Yes battery reset usually resets liftgate.
3.) Even though you have the liftbar disconnected, push the open liftgate button on your keychain, do you hear the motor running? If you don't hear it, you probably need a new one.
Tailgate lift motors/trunk lid pulldown motors cost @ US junkyards approx. $150 to $200. Canada junkyards $60
3.) no, the actuator controls the locks and latching mechanism.
The liftgate motors provides power to raise and lower the hatch with the assistance of the struts. Struts and motor work together. Old struts place alot of burden on motor and motor may not be able to raise liftgate or motor may break.
4.) Look everywhere for hidden screws and unscrew every one from the rear panel before trying to pry it off. Even look in the handle. Best option is to go to junkyard and look at any CX model(5, 9, etc) to get an idea of where the screws and clips are. Usually at least 1 vehicle is already pulled apart with panels missing so you can see the inner mechanisms.

Last edited:
3.) Even though you have the liftbar disconnected, push the open liftgate button on your keychain, do you hear the motor running? If you don't hear it, you probably need a new one.
Tailgate lift motors/trunk lid pulldown motors cost @ US junkyards approx. $150 to $200. Canada junkyards $60
Try listening to this video, you are going to need to turn the volume up a bit, I tried to be as quiet as possible to capture the sound

I went out and tested it as suggested. After the beeping if you listen closely you can hear a mechanical whirring noise coming out of the hole where the lift gate arm used to be. Tried it a few times after opening and closing it manually. Each time pushing the button did that but then I wasn't making noise when I pushed it again, supposedly to close. The whole gate would need to be manually opened and then shut again to make it make noise again.

I pulled back the panel as best I could and saw this ball joint on a piston shaft, I am guessing this is what does the work?

kwakDNY2kmgi7VnB2JVCOmk6FzbsbJUytctE1UOFrTTpoKwFZxRGNG5tECJYPX3u3phAIXKV4wXVkKh7rx0Ee3xNFbOKpiMKpNw2HTnRzj3rQzqMmKJTc_YsRs-LE97vQR3FBN1L9-FdLoveGnzX9yVIteGhHTs7Y_vftQ6akCoDAzWCeH2jWQAklvk6CPUKFmRBWrMIfUH8oOBVCSzOIdWTDSuK8Vh2epz-_1NnpdtR-TwsrCeQEW6OUo3uFP1SjqEg50uWfzygYOwuHWGaFUpev3gD3TQGHnbYrQtG4kElC2G_jBcNqdNd-2i778o1z2phs1ZWnSyK-Nlqr6vN6kpjziGNHqQ1sDTMvelb8rwJizhMlzn8ByAY--gcS4kLlucrOAZzIy-ZnQqnMp7Ch7JR6GFMlJ6VIuTpq0CWZbwiJGf0y9iuU6h7zpSOXvG8Cgbj2TuMzwoIPRV-l8ZzcYtAPhI6f8aREGaMFtg-9GIKEBuLYjNu0iHWMWpd-PZfVmONCw5quYkMYD8FPnlrePQs-j63EKZLCqM4BWqDhXtmCnjncBkO-hi49j2CQFPfUndiAlDfpzZE7IiuB6_MVE1ub6bFLpA5m6HxTOzBcI4y96AuUGvyAjRv8nb8FIvGCqptmMLAnyY9_nbDBOvjMggPjtNrJX3kO-A_JNpY56Wd5vXwYhOQVvM-rst-6GfN_oSnKdWh8XXXO38TtyFMB1u6-AfeulqopxHEYxxcklnPoGIVUIRYlMmbERFVrxsDRluw_d72KVx4TnYzBoZfZChDrZ_g3NrfplNVVoej-PN4I3pBmZfQDNLx0nmuGG253dMWRtzCllo-u85KXrV9oAVATuDepzJodiXOvhEmKkg_cQ9i6bzMF1yCdurMjlRekQtDp1_AkCnDcDn-btfXKHXgG0w4aA9xeV3rPe4fEoLJZw=w911-h1215-no

nEc9UYb2-PjX5gI2NCu-sAV_LT-Grb9spEgbJaHfKG5u-0hopXCGOHNa9exn1VEFwB_Nn8YFT59k43Fi3UEc42orKFSul7g7iUAlC7VBy88QdcimD7cs6x1zgSUyBqjp1ydgQmjRZ-fTsMVHF6mHy5d53La6eRDoxZtIR7ArMDwmqtD4BBiIOfyAyDV_oxPWOvTRh6-6rALV8RENUnM1-EDaeMebgV9bQbf8KlKfIrc9XHmiRdruqFNnFde8Kcq5nBICeontC9tiSf1gkXtaOWqkypgKBVkBxYY1VNxWbl_VjrEKbLeOGgBeszSlJUvuaBE1QVcvZEd3y5lJZKEBskiPzKCsgz__RXi87JbFGw2dy0w_NMUOFEA9cLSkRIfHSFNpL67CyBPGNCMcWMEalp0cRVMSZobG7KuXAB5FpPzDFLE-_6JU2G5C4WYJe_-oBdtgD-MGJe_W7Qy2u2Zhj91YNSeJcjII0DeaTCXrYj1sXYY3WRhVRYImor5AFghcbNzzwuUtGJbeijMRjYRakSHtGW5bQ4m0nnjUU6T686VKQqFd6KosAZ9SFNYDuqM_RQ0nObJM8jbHHDkkI9P28MWGCR30OiB5CPOLA9KR5qlesTuZUGoFzSnJ28gFTU6tfI3T94ghgTkyBpk1UCJUiH3aT3pblGnSlfZYNgc2wViw8OhL2vOl59uUhsD1jCtKdrVUXG7QwaGWHavNVlyV50HHdJ8IqKPXG4w32ZDcPDemMHyqu3WDouG5GaJTe9cvGy1r_HIYcsc3h9Wtz8SI3PloredOtEzygCnMFcs26Tdmph434H_vVNMvqmWlU-fGS94G7dGBKVQelarxEIjxh0-btmZaPmyfoONkv-c_KygYExGOpwIhpMgTPZ5ynsyxySTnbzo8pD_Wh5_8gj5doYrVNXt4WSC9hL-_Zw8M-fS80A=w911-h1215-no

It looks like it's stuck in the up position, which kind of makes sense as the lift gate locked when it was in the up position itself and we couldnt get it down. Pushing it with our hands when it all happened didnt work either which is why I had to pull off the bar just to get the thing to close. When I push the button I hear some motor in there moving down at the bottom, this inside ball joint isn't budging on it's own, which goes along with what happened when the whole problem started.

Doesn't sound like it's staying on long enough. Here's a pic of motor for your reference. This one's in Michigan if it's close to you. The end of the black rod snaps onto the top of the hatch. Salvage motors are between $150 and $275. Should work fine for you for a few years more. Check prices on new motors..if not too much price difference, then haggle with the junkyard or just buy it new. And get the most recent motor from the newest car that still has similar parts. I've used plenty of junkyard parts including motorized and electronics. They work fine for the remaining time you may keep the vehicle.
EDIT: also as the motor turns, it turns the threads which pulls the hatch down or pushed it up. As you can see how fragile the parts are ,this is why you need good struts. Most likely your struts got old and the motor couldn't handle the weight, thus broke. Or something froze along the threads. Either way, replacing the motor and struts should solve the problem. The struts will prevent the motor from doing the heavy lifting.

Attachments

• CX 9 liftgate motor.png
    CX 9 liftgate motor.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
No reset that I am aware of. The fuse is #12 under the hood.

Fuse_Block_(Interior).jpg

I had to access the back of fuel door, so here is how to get that far. I didn't remove the panel, but had enough room to get in behind. Might be enough for you. And there is a link to a Youtube video showing the whole process; Fuel Door Release Repair

Is this the right part?

Looks like a bunch of them on eBay for around the $200 mark...

Is this the right part?

Looks like a bunch of them on eBay for around the $200 mark...

If you buy from junkyard, you usually get a 30 day return policy on parts, and they will verify proper car years for fitment.
Plus you can look at it before you buy and also get the black arm with it as well. Didn't you break the arm? Plus you can haggle price. Call a junkyard up tell them what you need liftgate motor plus black arm plus wiring harness and ask if they have it and how much and then see if they'll take 20 % less.

Last edited:
I dont know how the junk yard thing works, like how do I even know if one has the car and or the part and how do you get it and look for it and all that.
I had to access the back of fuel door, so here is how to get that far. I didn't remove the panel, but had enough room to get in behind. Might be enough for you. And there is a link to a Youtube video showing the whole process; Fuel Door Release Repair
To get to the lift gate motor you need to remove the fuel door on the outside of the car?

I dont know how the junk yard thing works, like how do I even know if one has the car and or the part and how do you get it and look for it and all that.

To get to the lift gate motor you need to remove the fuel door on the outside of the car?
What state you in?

What years is your CX9?

here ya go at Ocala. call and verify.

drivers side frontal impact. no damage to rear/hatch.

since its a 2008, try to haggle price if over $100. if they say $60 just grab it.

or buy the newer used one online for $200 if you can get like a more recent one(2012, 2013, 2015, etc)

Attachments

• fla liftgate motor.png
    fla liftgate motor.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Back