Bose System Differences?

I recently went from a 2021 GT to a 2022 Signature. Both Bose systems sound very different from one another. I'm sure that they're the same as changes cost $$$. But the bass in the 2022 signature sounds like its coming more from the doors than the sub. In fact the sub in the spare tire doesnt really feel like its putting out a lot of bass at all. There's barely any air coming from it. I feel like I remember the bass in the 2021 GT being much more pronounced from the sub in the spare tire. Could there be domething wrong with the 2022 bose system? I've checked the connections and they're all good. Any thoughts or ideas?

I recently went from a 2021 GT to a 2022 Signature. Both Bose systems sound very different from one another. I'm sure that they're the same as changes cost $$$. But the bass in the 2022 signature sounds like its coming more from the doors than the sub. In fact the sub in the spare tire doesnt really feel like its putting out a lot of bass at all. There's barely any air coming from it. I feel like I remember the bass in the 2021 GT being much more pronounced from the sub in the spare tire. Could there be domething wrong with the 2022 bose system? I've checked the connections and they're all good. Any thoughts or ideas?

Have you checked to make sure the audio settings are the same? Maybe the bass/treble/fade settings just need to be adjusted.

Have you checked to make sure the audio settings are the same? Maybe the bass/treble/fade settings just need to be adjusted.
I checked the audio levels and i set them to the same positions as the 21 GT. I took the sub cover off to check it and the speaker does move. However if i unplug it i don't notice that much of a difference. I remember the 21 GT's sub moving more air out of the port...Maybe it's just me...

I'm pretty sure Bose has updated the sound processing to Centerpoint2/AudioPilot2. Previously it was just Centerpoint/AudioPilot.

Or it could just be the cable is disconnected from the sub. Might want to check that out. One of my biggest disappointments with the Bose stereo system is the week subwoofer. I’ve had many different factory upgraded systems with subs that sounded 10 times better than what Bose subwoofer sounds like.

The subwoofer is now powered from the amp under the passenger seat. It use to have its own independent amp built into the bass box. In my opinion the 22 Bose system sounds better than 17 Bose system. I just traded my 17GT for a 22GT. I agree that the 22 sub is weaker due to not having it’s own dedicated amp.

My 22 bass box
623705FB-D0A1-4168-A7CC-C5CF8567E4D4.jpeg

My 17 bass box
E854BACE-FB5D-4748-AA34-BD2A6C0C4461.jpeg

Don't forget that the speakers need to be broken in. Also someone in here was talking about the lack of polyfill in the sub and how it helped.

I think a major problem is, factory car stereos have been so woefully bad for so long, that when you start to hear something getting better, your ears aren't used to it.

Reminds me of a thread from a month or so ago where the driver couldn't hear the rear speakers in his new car. You're not supposed to! When you go to a concert, do you sit with your back to the band? Of course not! But, because car stereos were just so horrible for so long, most people have gotten used to inaccurate sound, so they now expect it.

The vast majority of people have never once heard what a truly spectacular car stereo sounds like. It will literally give you goosebumps. I must warn you though, after you do hear one, you'll get bitten, and it's going to cost you a lot of money, chasing that sonic bliss!

These are frequency response graphs. This was after I sound deadened all 4 doors and the hatch, under the spare tire. I also sound deadened the entire sub box. The sub only adds output from 35Hz to 50Hz. The bottom is before sound deadening. Sound deadening really increased the mid bass.

With factory sub disconnected.
IMG_1375.PNG

With factory sub connected.
IMG_1371.PNG

Before sound deadening.
IMG_1374.PNG

I have a ‘23 GT cx9 and I notice that the Bose is subpar to what I had in my jeep wrangler.
When listening I feel you lose a lot of the song. Hard to describe but I feel like I don’t hear everything. For example, yesterday I was listening to Drive by REM and in the beginning when the violins start which is faint I’ll admit you can barely hear it. I have no problem on other systems hearing the faint violins.

Last edited:
After sound deadening I think it sounds very good. I’m no audiophile but it I compares to my other home systems, that have much better components, which I built by buying drivers and building boxes. I just wish the bass went to around 30Hz. I’ve added a 12” sub to a 17 CX-9 and it improved the bass but created a huge peak at 45Hz. I tried eq’ing it but I hated the delay caused by the processor. I didn’t move the sub to my 22 because it sounds better than my 17 did.

Not saying this was your case, but a large sub in a too small ported box absolutely will behave exactly as you described: big boost at 45Hz.

To calm that down, either make sure the sub is properly matched to the box by plotting the response in WinISD, or try a different sub, one that matches a little better.

Failing that, simply try plugging the port, turning it into a sealed box! That really can help, because sealed boxes are more forgiving of a too small box than a ported box is.

I agree. In my case it was a .8cuft sealed box. The 12" I put in it modeled in WinISD to have a bump at 60Hz and linear drop from 60Hz to 20Hz. I then put an 8" in the same box which modeled even flatter and the peak remained. I have a speaker collecting problem and have many drivers. I think it had to do with down firing the sub into the spare tire area. The 45Hz bump sounded good on some bass lacking music but on modern bass heavy music it was overwhelming with only 250 watts RMS. Most would probably like it. I had a bass remote that came in very handy.

I agree. In my case it was a .8cuft sealed box.

DUDE! My box is that size sealed, and I got a Sundown Audio SD10 v3 D4. It sounds straight up AMAZING in that box! It's as smooth as butter, and the curve is dead flat.

Sundown isn't normally known as an SQ sub, but they really knocked it out of the park with this driver. Definitely check them out.

I didn’t know there was a subwoofer. I’ll have to look.
Yes, it’s in the spare tire. My 22 GT has a passive sub. My 17 GT had an active sub. Both have the same box. I believe it’s a 6th order bandpass box.

Bottom with sound deadening.
92C9A5E3-C707-4152-9309-25591BC6DA77.jpeg

Top with sound deadening.
C6031E7E-AB90-414D-9C66-78F1695E5888.jpeg

Sub in.
C4C9E0F7-2987-49F9-9293-19A83196C206.jpeg

Sub out.
4A8B823C-6FD3-4B0A-94D7-8442DCBA5FFB.jpeg

I can confirm that my new 2022 CX-5 Premium Plus sound system is almost the same as my 2021 CX-9 GT. I use the same settings for both and the sound is almost identical.

Back