CX-5 Airbag light flashing after window left open

2019, passenger side window left open and it rained. Airbag light flashes once then a few seconds later flashes 6 times.
I'm assuming a sensor. Is there anything I could be doing right now? Hair dryer? What should I be focusing on under the seat?
It's a few months out of 3 year warranty. What would dealer charge for the fix if its a sensor?
Final question, does flashing airbag light mean no airbags will deploy for passenger and driver?

Edit: 1 flash followed by 6 flashes is code 16 I guess.. which would be passenger seat weight sensor error. Any chance this sensor will be OK after dried out? If yes, would airbag light keep flashing until cleared? Finally, would disconnecting negative battery terminal reset?

Last edited:
Let the car dry out. See what happens. If it still flashes disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minute and see if it resets.
If no good looks like the dealer. If you have a good relationship with the dealer they may diagnose it with no charge since it's a safety related matter. Can't hurt asking.

When I had my RX-7 Mazda replaced my drivers seat belt free of charge way out of warranty. Dealer said it was safety issue and Mazda took it seriously. That was couple decades ago so who knows what they would say today.

Don'y know if they would deploy or not, best to get taken care of asap.

Factory warranty does not cover user error anyway.
I would let it dry out and see if that fixes it.
For now... maybe no one should sit in passenger's seat (front, I assume).

Factory warranty does not cover user error anyway.
I would let it dry out and see if that fixes it.
For now... maybe no one should sit in passenger's seat (front, I assume).
would driver side activate with the flashing airbag light, I assume it's code 16(1 flash followed by 6). It doesn't remain lit after the flashes, just repeats itself every 5 seconds.

update: tried it out this morning. When I start the car, passenger seatbelt light symbol stays on above climate control. Airbag light on dash does not blink..UNTIL I sit in the passenger's seat, then the passenger airbag/off symbol lights up above climate control. So, when a person is actually sitting in the passenger's seat, it's sensing no one is.

update: If anyone cares, lol. Sunny all day, but also user hair dryer on seat. System seems to be working now! No more flashing airbag light on the dash and the passenger indicator light(airbag off) turns on when the ignition is switched on, then the light turns off after a few seconds. Then, the indicator light stays on when someone is in the passenger seat and off when not. From the web owner's manual, this is exactly how it should be in a 2019. Hopefully, it stays this way.

So, how long between when rain got in and the problem righted itself? That might be useful to someone who pulls up this thread at some future date.

Back