2019 CX-5 Driver Seat Came Apart

I was wiping down my seat today with a microfiber towel today and the seat came apart at a seam. The stitching is still there but the "leather" literally tore away from it. I have no idea what happened, I only use leather safe products on it, never anything harsh. I'm 200 miles outside of the 36000 mile warranty. I'm so aggravated. Do you think they'll replace it under the warranty?

Edit: It looks like the stitching was wwwaayyy too tight and literally cut through the leather. The stitching goes through the perforations, so if it's too tight it'll slow cut through.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
You should take it back immediately. If only 200miles beyond warranty, Mazda may well support the repair/fix.

I was wiping down my seat today with a microfiber towel today and the seat came apart at a seam. The stitching is still there but the "leather" literally tore away from it. I have no idea what happened, I only use leather safe products on it, never anything harsh. I'm 200 miles outside of the 36000 mile warranty. I'm so aggravated. Do you think they'll replace it under the warranty?

Edit: It looks like the stitching was wwwaayyy too tight and literally cut through the leather. The stitching goes through the perforations, so if it's too tight it'll slow cut through.
Yeah. It'/s like it knew when to break.

It doesnt look like it ripped. It looks like they didnt leave enough seam allowance(extra fabric) in the fabric fold and it just came apart.

If you dont know what that is look at your suit dress pants. There is always enough fabric left over to make sure the seam doesnt come apart as well as extra to let out the pants as people gain weight.

I imagine all car companies are doing this now as a way to use less materials and cut cost.

Sewing is a dying art.
I would say find a relative that sews but there is not enough fabric/material for any tailor to fix this.

If mazda won't replace under warranty, then easiest fix is just go to the junkyard and get another seat bottom.

Or buy a good set of premium leather seat covers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked with the dealer. Mazda is goodwilling the replacement because I was 300 miles outside the warranty. They are requiring me to pay for labor though (1hr). It's as much as I could hope, I'd prefer if they just replaced it all because this is clearly a latent manufacturing defect but I don't really have a strong case for appealing as they could have outright denied it. This will have been the first thing that has gone wrong with it in three years so I guess win?

Talked with the dealer. Mazda is goodwilling the replacement because I was 300 miles outside the warranty. They are requiring me to pay for labor though (1hr). It's as much as I could hope, I'd prefer if they just replaced it all because this is clearly a latent manufacturing defect but I don't really have a strong case for appealing as they could have outright denied it. This will have been the first thing that has gone wrong with it in three years so I guess win?
You said they are replacing the seat, right?
Mazda charged me for tcm and pcm updates during the warranty period so
YES this appears to be a win for you. A used junkyard seat would cost you about $300.
You could save in labor if you would be comfortable doing it yourself. Some seats can be a PITA to get out and in of the vehicle.

You said they are replacing the seat, right?
Mazda charged me for tcm and pcm updates during the warranty period so
YES this appears to be a win for you. A used junkyard seat would cost you about $300.
You could save in labor if you would be comfortable doing it yourself. Some seats can be a PITA to get out and in of the vehicle.
Its just the upper seat. The seat comes in two parts actually, the bottom and back.

Right, it would take me way longer than an hour to do the job. The dealer actually mentioned that it would take them 3hrs but Mazda said to only charge me for the documented replacement time. I’m not sure who’s lying on that.

Overall it’s ok. I hope this is a one off. Seats are something imho should last the lifetime of the car without issue and with some care.

I'd be surprised if they were actually replacing the entire upper portion of the seat. Usually one just replaces the leather cover. I've never replaced a cover on a seat-back but I've replaced several leather and fabric seat-bottom covers; it's not that difficult on most cars.

Seat Back cover for a 2019 CX-5:

Im not sure they didn’t specify. Likely they’ll just replace what you linked imho (good link too btw). With dealer markup that part alone would have been 600 minimum so I’m still saving a fair bit to get it replaced.

I’m also kinda tired of doing car work right now. I just did a ton of suspension work on my wife’s car so I’m a bit worn out now :D. For like a $150 this is a job easily worth letting them do it.

Back