2018 CX9 GT AWD leaking oil on driveway

I just noticed that my 2018 CX9 GT AWD (41K miles) is leaking oil. At first I assumed it was my '18 VW GTI; however, after looking under both cars, it's very clearly coming from the CX9 (there's oil all over the plastic shields under the car).

Best case, it's a loose oil filter or drain plug. Worst case, what else could it be?

I'm going to try to get the car to the dealer middle of next week.

If you had an oil change recently, it’s likely one of the two you stated. It’s not hard to uncover the drain plug and filter and check

Sadly, oil has not been changed since Feb 2022 and I've just noticed the leaking two weeks ago.

Drain plug/filter is still possible, let's hope that's what it is. I would get under the car and make sure the filter and plug are tight, then top up the oil and monitor until you can get it to the dealership. Have you popped the hood to look at the engine? Remove the engine cover and look for any visible oil leaks on or around the engine.

Drain plug/filter is still possible, let's hope that's what it is. I would get under the car and make sure the filter and plug are tight, then top up the oil and monitor until you can get it to the dealership. Have you popped the hood to look at the engine? Remove the engine cover and look for any visible oil leaks on or around the engine.

Have not dug around under the hood yet. Oil level has not dropped noticeably so not that worried about the volume of loss. Mostly annoyed about the stains on the driveway.

Do the cx9s have the same cylinder head crack problem as the CX5? Maybe you should also get a UOA analysis done by Blackstone to make sure no antifreeze in the engine...

Take a close look at the back of the engine, and all around the engine, from the top, looking for signs of an oil leak. A small flashlight and an inspection mirror (like a dentist's mirror but a bit bigger) will be a help. If you find oil leaking up high, yep, trip to the dealer is necessary. It might be something that will get rapidly much worse.

Got the car back. They said that they could not find a leak. However, they noted that their was a lot of oil residue left from the previous oil change (which was performed by the same dealer).

So far, not noticing any new drips...

... they noted that their was a lot of oil residue left from the previous oil change (which was performed by the same dealer). ...
Seriously? They voluntarily made that appalling statement to you?

Hopefully you'll find the leak on your own (if there is one), because it doesn't appear that you'll be getting any help from that outfit.

Clean and degrease the engine. Drive it. Look for leaks. if still leaking then take to an local independent mechanic and have him write it up. You'll have to pay but it will be worth it. Then contact Mazda corporate to report the problem then take it to a different dealer for the warranty work. Or if out of warranty, have the local garage fix it.

So it has been a week and I am not seeing any more leaks.

I think what happened was that the previous mechanic managed to get oil all over the under side of the car and it all started dripping down on to the drive way after the temps got over 80 degrees.

Either that or the oil filter / fill plug was on too lose and has since been replaced/fixed...

Someone who sends a car back to the owner with oil all over the underside could be called a lot of things, but mechanic is not one of them.
I once had a car returned to me with the oil cap still removed from the car. I drove it around and later noticed oil all over the engine. Couldn't believe it. Started doing my oil changes myself ever since.

EDIT: to the original poster -> Quite possibly what happened was they spilled some oil all over your engine's cam covers and it slowly worked it's way down as the car rocks from side to side while driving. The engine cover would hide that from you unless you specifically removed it to look at the cam covers.

I once had a car returned to me with the oil cap still removed from the car. I drove it around and later noticed oil all over the engine. Couldn't believe it. Started doing my oil changes myself ever since.

EDIT: to the original poster -> Quite possibly what happened was they spilled some oil all over your engine's cam covers and it slowly worked it's way down as the car rocks from side to side while driving. The engine cover would hide that from you unless you specifically removed it to look at the cam covers.

Yes, suspect it was just due to a sloppy mechanic.

Not leaking any more which is positive.

Coming from BMW / Audi, the one negative I have about Mazda is the dealership experience. That said, I do like the lower scheduled maintenance fees...

I do like the lower scheduled maintenance fees...
And, as always, be very wary of any services in addition to those recommended in the owner's manual. Your car probably doesn't need them regardless of what it is. The service writers are paid on commission for the services they sell us. If they don't sell enough they get fired. Not our problem.

And, as always, be very wary of any services in addition to those recommended in the owner's manual. Your car probably doesn't need them regardless of what it is. The service writers are paid on commission for the services they sell us. If they don't sell enough they get fired. Not our problem.

Yes, I do find that the dealer is pushing additives and other 'recommended services' that are not in-line with the the owner's manual schedule. My dealer tries to sell this stuff but they're not too pushy.

And, there is no need to go to a dealer for any service except warranty claims and recalls. Any licensed auto repair shop can do all work; retain receipts with full descriptions of the work. Or, do it yourself and keep records.

Back