H&R Lowering Spring Issue

Work on a set for the cx-9 🙂plzzzzz
They (Cambridge Auto Springs) have a set for the current CX9 already - I think it’s a 30mm drop - I am tempted, but I don’t drive the CX9 that much as my partner likes it. Unfortunately she doesn’t really ‘get’ lowering an SUV lol

Thanks yeah it was Cambridge Auto Springs also known as Cobra Springs NZ cheers. They won’t have a full set of KF springs until my fronts are done though :) Would love to save other people the same hassle I’ve been through if they only want a subtle drop of 30mm. For a bigger drop I would go for Corksport.
I would caution anyone using Cork Sport without calling and talking to them first what goals you are trying to achieve and what you are willing to lose for comfort . Thier springs are very aggressive, and the ride quality is not the number one priority with those springs. Improving handling is the number one feature for CS springs.

They (Cambridge Auto Springs) have a set for the current CX9 already - I think it’s a 30mm drop - I am tempted, but I don’t drive the CX9 that much as my partner likes it. Unfortunately she doesn’t really ‘get’ lowering an SUV lol
Just drop it and don’t mention it… she’ll never notice if you don’t tell her

There is so much more to improving and also lowering a vehicle beside installing a set of springs and ending there. One thing many do not even think about is getting a alignment after the installation and changing the alignment spec to add to improved steering. Another consideration that is arguable and often not even talked about is that fact that you change the steering geometry engineered specially in your MAZDA chassis and lower it changes that for the negative. You may not notice the difference unless you did Track time or know your vehicle very well. So don't be surprise if some suspension parts wear sooner then others not lowering it. Lowering any vehicle with only springs is mostly for the owner wanting to look "kool". You do sacrifice the factory smooth ride what ever degree that might have been with the stock springs. If handling was the goals the first consideration would be improving the rear sway bars performance.

I would caution anyone using Cork Sport without calling and talking to them first what goals you are trying to achieve and what you are willing to lose for comfort . Thier springs are very aggressive, and the ride quality is not the number one priority with those springs. Improving handling is the number one feature for CS springs.
How do you know this? Did you put these springs in your CX5? I’ve read posts from others that didn’t complain about ride quality. It seems they been Bilsteins and a camber kit to really work well though.

There is so much more to improving and also lowering a vehicle beside installing a set of springs and ending there. One thing many do not even think about is getting a alignment after the installation and changing the alignment spec to add to improved steering. Another consideration that is arguable and often not even talked about is that fact that you change the steering geometry engineered specially in your MAZDA chassis and lower it changes that for the negative. You may not notice the difference unless you did Track time or know your vehicle very well. So don't be surprise if some suspension parts wear sooner then others not lowering it. Lowering any vehicle with only springs is mostly for the owner wanting to look "kool". You do sacrifice the factory smooth ride what ever degree that might have been with the stock springs. If handling was the goals the first consideration would be improving the rear sway bars performance.
I totally disagree eh, a subtle drop on OEM shocks with a good set of springs can massively improve handling and looks, without any detrimental effect on any of the things you mention. I know, I’ve done it many times on many different vehicles over the last 25 years. I am not sure why you’re such an expert, but my experience with lowering vehicles has generally been incredibly positive. You just need the right spring set and don’t take it too low I reckon. I agree that a wheel alignment is a no brainer - no shop should fit springs without doing this.

I totally disagree .....How do you know this?

Ok well it happens that I engineer, develop and consequently offer a full, line of performance suspension, brakes, and power parts so what do I know. I also work closely with a few MAZDA aftermarket parts companies not even to mention a "who's who" of other performance parts companies for about 45 years. ;)

One thing to mention supporting a response I made on this thread a product I developed to compensate and return the steering geometry changed by lowering a vehicle below its manufactured specifications. 😁

As for Cork Sport I clearly said to talk with them direct. I know what their primary goal and target market for their springs and what the results can be. They are good high quality spring. And Yes I have installed them on my Mazda for testing and review as well a couple other vehicles measuring the G-force using an accelerometer before and after the install.

Good advise to you would be to read some great publications first understanding suspension and how it works then Performance enhancements upgrades. Look carefully at what is recommend and in what order of installation.

You may also want to learn exactly how high pressure struts and shock work to under stand why lowering may reduce their design efficiency especially when lowering and not changing to a dampener to work properly in the new chassis height.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
I had to edit this response because see I neglected to add in post #18 that was a small part of a technical article, I participated in writing for a Magazine article about upgrading suspensions. :cool:

Last edited:
I think we can all agree that springs need to be paired with the right dampers. Putting different springs will yield negative ride qualities. But the question is how much? I've had mild lowering springs paired with stock dampers before and they ride fine for my liking. Did they ride like stock? No but IMO it was close. Granted the shocks didn't last as long but the lower springs were a good compromise between form and function.

I think we can all agree that springs need to be paired with the right dampers. Putting different springs will yield negative ride qualities. But the question is how much? I've had mild lowering springs paired with stock dampers before and they ride fine for my liking. Did they ride like stock? No but IMO it was close. Granted the shocks didn't last as long but the lower springs were a good compromise between form and function.
Exactly lol. It seems every thread on lowering has some expert naysayer warning how bad it’s going to be for ride and handling. I just don’t see the point in such posts as people are going to go ahead and lower their car anyway - otherwise they wouldn’t be on the thread. I have found a small drop only does good things for looks and handling. If you drive an AWD KF CX5 back to back with a FWD CX5 (like we did before we bought our car) the difference in body roll and weight transfer was quite significant. I thought it was due to the extra weight of the AWD car, so we bought the FWD model, which was actually a mistake, as I later learnt the weight difference was minor, and the wobblier feeling from the AWD car was due to it sitting just 10mm higher than the FWD.

Somebody got owned….🙄
Feels more like a troll to me - all their posts on the forum are long ‘expert opinions’ that are barely relevant to the threads. I notice they didn’t confirm the Corksport springs they fitted were actually for a KF CX5 either.

Feels more like a troll to me - all their posts on the forum are long ‘expert opinions’ that are barely relevant to the threads. I notice they didn’t confirm the Corksport springs they fitted were actually for a KF CX5 either.
Um this is not trolling by any definition. As for what you think an expert is or is not, I gave some information that should qualify my answers a little better than a DIY? Do you agree.
Funny you were happy with my responses when it aligned with your thoughts? hahaha!

I might also point out I never said how bad it would be to lower a vehicle only some things that need to be considered.

I also said at least twice that contacting Cork Sport should be done regarding direct information about their springs.
But I do have a set of Cork Sport, oh in various quantities H&R, Eibach, TRW, Racing Beat, B&G , C&M, Sprint and Tein to name a few off the top of my head and also what I can see looking out on my shelves. hahahaha!

In your response #31 your information shows that you really should learn more about how and why suspension works. Butt feelings (seat of the pants assessments ) are much different when a vehicle is actually measured for it handling attributes which then can be directly related to the confidence and experience level a the driver.

I am not sure and I m not going to go look back but somewhere I think I said a positive comment about your lower project that if your happy with the results that's really all that matters.
From there if you start on a path of giving information that is not completely and fundamental true or not really lets say "correct" or accurate then some of us might want to respond? This is also another example of NOT TROLLING! Sir!

Side note here...I'm just going to say this as a reminder as threads need to remain civil and on topic...If you are the reason threads are having to be moderated, cleaned up, closed etc...You will receive a warning (consider this a warning) or your account may just be permanently banned. Trolling in any way, shape or form or to any degree is unacceptable on Mazdas247. Please remember that, thank you.

Now as with all threads, please keep this one civil and on topic, thank you once again.

Back