Oil Treatment charge, Canadian Dealership, CX-5 Turbo

mazda ca

2021 CX-5 Signature
Morning guys.

Just had my first oil/filter change at the dealership in BC, Canada.
$135 CAD, not cheap.
Noticed $16 charge for oil treatment

Asked why…

They answered:

-It is a standard Mazda Canada charge. Recommended by Mazda.
-All dealers charge the same amount for oil change, price is set by Mazda.

Guys, have you seen this charge (in Canada)?

How much do you pay for oil/filter change at Canadian Dealership?
Turbo CX-5

Thank you

Last edited:
What is "oil treatment"? Does that mean they were especially nice to it? Does the oil not have the stuff in it that oil needs to do oil job, so they add more stuff to it during the change?

My US dealer recommended I add a can of MOA oil treatment when changing my oil. Had a second dealer recommend the same thing. Maybe that's what they added? Worth a call to them to find out what the charge was for.

The overall price seems pretty high for just an oil change. I cant imagine that Mazda would be able to set the local dealer service prices like that. Certainly specify what needs to be done during an oil change, but not what the dealer charges.

Looks like a provincial fee for throwing away the oil. But i don’t live in BC.
no, they said they actually added oil additive, per Mazda Canada. I suspect that dealership is simply making profit, but this is my assumption at this point. That's why I want to gather more info from Canadian forum members. Then I'll approach the dealership

1st step, check the maintenance guide that came with your car.

Unfortunately, I suspect this was on the work order you signed off on before they touched your car, so this is more than likely a lost battle this round. It's so important to read these fully before you give them permission to work on your vehicle. They should not be putting anything but oil in your engine for an oil change, in my opinion, unless you say so.

I would pull out the scheduled maintenance guide and review it with the Service Manager and Service writer. Since they are saying Mazda Canada recommends it, I would simply ask Mazda Canada themselves or ask the dealership to provide proof that Mazda Canada recommends it since it's not in the maintenance guide (I will save you the time, it's not there). I take a major issue with them saying Mazda Canada says to add the additive and I suspect Mazda Canada would take issue with that as well.

My gut is telling me the service representative added it to your work as it's an up-sell item and they didn't tell you (unless its' on the work order, then they sort of did tell you).

Best of luck.

Mazda & dealer may recommend it as part of a service but, is it necessary. As suggested above, check the maintenance schedule in the owners manual to see if it is required. My local dealer (in Ontario) has large signage in the service department recommending oil changes every 4 months vs. the 6 month schedule noted in the manual. I guess they hope some inexperienced new car owner will see it and move to a shorter oil change rotation.

Maybe they use a cheap bulk motor oil and the treatment is Molybdenum to enhance it to the level of a higher quality lube, such as Mazda/Idemitsu?

Most better quality oils available have that ingredient for prices under $25US and the additive isn't necessary.

I wish I could help, but I haven't paid for an oil change at the dealership. I have had one done for free (at L.A. Mazda in Leduc, AB), and as far as I can remember, there was no line item on the invoice for an oil treatment.

As others have suggested, I'd contact Mazda Canada to report this dealership, then I'd find a new one to use if possible. I think they flat out lied to you.

no, they said they actually added oil additive, per Mazda Canada. I suspect that dealership is simply making profit, but this is my assumption at this point. That's why I want to gather more info from Canadian forum members. Then I'll approach the dealership

Bought a pre-certified in US... To get it ready for sale..they only changed what they had to... Oil, filter and crush washer, etc...No additive. and couldn't get a new set of tires thrown in as part of sales deal.

Later when went to another dealership to get a part.. they recommended to buy tires there as well as get oil change with an additive treatment.

It seems like they only do what's necessary on their dime but all of a sudden there are extras that they say is required when it's your wallet.

That's why I do my own or occasionally have my trusted mechanic do it when I'm busy.

Last edited:
I think they flat out lied to you.
I feel that way too but we can't say that without seeing the work order that @mazda ca signed. If it was on the work order, and they signed the work order, it's all legit... Dubious work process but 100% legit as it's common practice for dealers to do this slimy stuff.
If there was no mention of the additive on your work order, I'd be demanding it removed immediately.

If that additive leads to operating issues and a warranty claim on your engine...I know the additive would be the first thing Mazda Canada would use to deny warranty (protecting themselves) if they find out it was added so I'd be pissed and getting it the eff out of my car's engine ASAP.

guys, I thank you all. I obviously am pretty sure they squeezed in yet another "extra profit" line there. Of course I'll eventually find out if it was "recommended by Mazda". I just thought that someone here did see the same charge by a Canadian dealer.

Unfortunately I have already had bad experience with this particular dealership (service).
So, once I confirm that charge was nothing but their own decision, I will produce the Review for Mazda Canada. And that review is not going to be favorable...

Of course, this is very unfortunate, because I would love to have a great relationship with the dealer who is just a block away from me.

I had CRV prior to CX-5 and I was truly "in love" with my local Honda dealer (service) - unbelievably nice people and helped me out multiple times (some occasions - free of charge, for my out of warranty vehicle)

This Mazda dealership is the opposite. Grumpy people, sneaky charges, incomplete inspections. Nothing to be happy about.

The good thing is... I still have not done my Mazda Canada Survey (new car purchase/experience). So, I will have my opportunity to vent.
But like I said, I am not happy about this, I wish I only had positive words.

That's unfortunate. I believe that most dealers are (mostly) honest and that a few, like in your case, give the rest a bad name...

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the oil treatment was nothing at all. They said that something was added to your oil when in reality nothing was done except to drain your wallet a bit more.

That's unfortunate. I believe that most dealers are (mostly) honest and that a few, like in your case, give the rest a bad name...

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the oil treatment was nothing at all. They said that something was added to your oil when in reality nothing was done except to drain your wallet a bit more.
+1

Here is the link to Mazda (Canada) maintenance schedule for the CX5 https://cdn.mazda.ca/common/en/pdf/...MItLzv7o2n9AIVEyiGCh3rPw2dEAAYASABEgJeBvD_BwE. There is no mention of an oil additive as part of the service. However, if it was listed as part of the service intended to be undertaken and on the work order you signed, the dealer isn’t necessarily being dishonest, but they should be more transparent. The lesson learned for all of is to read the work order before signing and be specific in what services you are requesting to avoid dealer adding on optional services.

I feel that way too but we can't say that without seeing the work order that @mazda ca signed. If it was on the work order, and they signed the work order, it's all legit... Dubious work process but 100% legit as it's common practice for dealers to do this slimy stuff.

Oh I meant that they lied about the oil additive being "Mazda recommended" and that all dealers do that.

guys, I thank you all. I obviously am pretty sure they squeezed in yet another "extra profit" line there. Of course I'll eventually find out if it was "recommended by Mazda". I just thought that someone here did see the same charge by a Canadian dealer.

Unfortunately I have already had bad experience with this particular dealership (service).
So, once I confirm that charge was nothing but their own decision, I will produce the Review for Mazda Canada. And that review is not going to be favorable...

Of course, this is very unfortunate, because I would love to have a great relationship with the dealer who is just a block away from me.

This Mazda dealership is the opposite. Grumpy people, sneaky charges, incomplete inspections. Nothing to be happy about.

The good thing is... I still have not done my Mazda Canada Survey (new car purchase/experience). So, I will have my opportunity to vent.
But like I said, I am not happy about this, I wish I only had positive words.

Sorry about your experience so far. I'd agree with @Conrad 16.5, there are a lot of good/decent dealerships out there, but the bad ones give them a bad rep. Are there any other dealerships near you that you can use?

The dealer I bought my car from was hands down the best dealer I've ever had. No shady sales tactics when buying the car, excellent communication, great service at the service desk. My local dealers (different city now) are still decent, but definitely not as good as my original dealership.

I thought I had read somewhere in the Owner's Manual that engine oil additives should not be added to the oil, but it turns out that it is fuel system additives that it warns against.

Unfortunately there is no other dealer close by. It is what it is.
Still deciding if I should be changing oil myself, have my Honda dealership do it, or drive to that other Mazda dealer.

I spoke with Mazda Canada - they had no idea about that additive. They do not recommend anything like that.
I also phoned another dealer, the price for just the oil/filter change was $85 CAD
The first oil/change and vehicle health report + tire rotation was $116CAD
No additives added (hence $20 cheaper)

next steps:
file a complaint about my dealership
getting refund from them
completing Mazda survey

guys, on the attached file... Do I have to perform all those checks (I highlighted in yellow) by my dealership? In order to preserve warranty.
thank you

Attachments

• mazda service.PNG
    mazda service.PNG
    112.6 KB · Views: 134
Unfortunately there is no other dealer close by. It is what it is.
next steps:
file a complaint about my dealership
getting refund from them
completing Mazda survey

thank you
@mazda ca What does your work order actually say was performed for work? This would be the slip they gave when you picked up your car after the service. Asking the dealer to refund you something you agreed to pay for (by approving the work with a signature) is a different situation.

guys, on the attached file... Do I have to perform all those checks (I highlighted in yellow) by my dealership? In order to preserve warranty.
thank you
Personally, I can't stand the word "inspect" that so many car service places use.
These inspections are a money grab, an excuse to "find" something wrong, even when everything is fine, so that they can then charge you extra to fix what isn't broken. It's total BS.
I mean, inspecting steering operation? What do they do? turn the steering wheel a few times and what, look at something? Ridiculous stuff.

Any of these so called inspections won't void your warranty either.
I mean, what if they "inspect" your windshield washer fluid level (for $20 of course), and then find that it's a little low? Will they say you just voided your warranty? Of course not.
Man, I hate these money grubbing dealers.

As for oil changes, I bought a filter at a Mazda dealer, and then went to a quick lube place to have the oil changed, using my factory filter. Cheap and quick. I also had them put in 0w30, not 0w20. Runs quieter.

Back