Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 47 39.8%
  • No

Votes: 71 60.2%

• Total voters
Add me to the list. White smoke, CEL, rough idle, loss of coolant. 2016 with 65k miles. Towing to the dealer tomorrow ;(

• Sad
Reactions: JPL
What was your temporary vehicle situations? Did Mazda actually provide a loaner for 11 weeks since it's warranty work? You shouldn't be responsible for incurring rental costs.
I think I was two weeks into the ordeal when the dealer provided 2021 cx5 touring loaner. No cost to me.

Reactions: JPL
Result of the dealer visit. Basically they couldn't find a leak, even after asking them to take a second look just in case. I will be monitoring the coolant level until my next oil change, and then I'll be sending a second UOA out to see if K levels are still elevated, and take it from there.

An update on my car - it's currently sitting at just over 57k kms, so I'll be doing another oil change soon and sending another sample out for analysis.

I have been checking the coolant level at the overflow every few days since the dealer visit, always checking at the same time, which is as soon as I get to work. The level hasn't budged since I last added coolant - it is consistently right below the top of the "F". I will continue to monitor, and I'll also post the results of my next UOA, but as of right now, it seems that my engine isn't leaking coolant like I thought it was.

2017 GT with 36k miles. Had 30k service done in April at the dealer with no issues. Drove cross country last week to move (2200 mile trip) and about halfway through smelled coolant when filling up with gas. Checked and the reservoir was empty and noticed some drips under the car. Added some coolant and finished the trip with no issues. Car drove fine.

A couple of days ago sitting in traffic the temp light came on. Pulled over and saw the coolant tank empty again. Took it to the dealer. Service advisor said the leak was from the back of the engine and likely coming from a cylinder head. They were advised by Mazda to replace the engine. It is covered by the warranty but they don’t expect to get the replacement until the end of July.

Well, my 2017GT has around 105,000km on it and I'll be loading it up and driving it into the Canadian Rocky Mountains this August. It'll be a good test I guess, with this heat and extra load. Will need to keep an eye on the coolant and have contingency plans I guess. Still under warranty though, so if it's gonna go I hope it does just as I pull back into the driveway, AFTER the trip.

Probably a good idea to carry a lot of extra water with us in case we develop a leak in the middle of Saskatechwan or something. Err, something I've experienced before actually. Last time I drove to Vancouver I had a clogged rad and ended up blowing a hose on Marine Drive. Had to make an emergency pit stop. Luckily was able to do the repair on site and refill the rad from some lady's backyard garden hose. Hoping that's a once in a lifetime experience....

Hey guys! Just bought a 2017 cx9 at 66k Kms. Don't know if it had an engine changed before as it is from Quebec and carfax only shows owner info.
Question- let's say in 2 years I am outside warranty and I have to change the engine due to leaks. Is it more like a one time thing? Can I expect 50-60k more kms at least after once changed. Anyone knows anyone with 2 engine changes?
Coming from a 2012 corolla, had nothing other than oil changes and brake pad changes in 200k. Absolutely love my CX9, but would love for it to last.

I should have my cx9 back with new engine anyday now....i am definitely hoping to get some answers on coolant leak root cause and if new engine block/head are newer revision.... and if revision corrects defect.
If Mazda didn't revise a known weak point a good couple of years ago, they are in trouble. 2.5T has been used across the lineup now for a while. Could be CX-5's and Mazda 6's next. Would really hamper their future if it becomes more widespread.

I still suspect this is a limited problem as most people who have a problem head online to discuss. Never hear from the 99% that don't have a major problem and talk about their vehicles on forums.

I should have my cx9 back with new engine anyday now....i am definitely hoping to get some answers on coolant leak root cause and if new engine block/head are newer revision.... and if revision corrects defect.
Pushed to next week around Wed........ needed to order turbo gaskets...

If Mazda didn't revise a known weak point a good couple of years ago, they are in trouble. 2.5T has been used across the lineup now for a while. Could be CX-5's and Mazda 6's next. Would really hamper their future if it becomes more widespread.

I still suspect this is a limited problem as most people who have a problem head online to discuss. Never hear from the 99% that don't have a major problem and talk about their vehicles on forums.
I agree with you that engine defect issue should already be resolved, but i have not seen anything to verify that.

I agree with you that engine defect issue should already be resolved, but i have not seen anything to verify that.
The million dollar question is the starting build date of a revised 2.5T, if indeed it happened.

You have to wonder if it was when the torque changed from 310 to 320 lb ft (I believe it was the 2020 model year).

The million dollar question is the starting build date of a revised 2.5T, if indeed it happened.

You have to wonder if it was when the torque changed from 310 to 320 lb ft (I believe it was the 2020 model year).
Ya, who knows. That change could be due to ecu program changes or they were just conservative with their ratings in the earlier models and decided they could achieve the higher rating reliably enough to up the rating (and car manufacturers do that for some reason, for example the new Supra seems to produce significantly more power than what Toyota claims).

From a mechanical point of view, torque is often determined by the length of the connecting rods. Altering their length affects torque but also overall engine displacement. Since the newer engines are still 2.5L, I seriously doubt Mazda made changes there. I'm sure there are many other mechanical changes they may have done to increase the torque by a nice round number of 10, but it's also possible they did nothing (ie. leaving ecu or rating changes only).

I just checked the coolant on my 2017 Signature with 54,000 miles and the coolant level is just over an inch above the low line. The engine was cold at that point. I’m getting a bit paranoid now and wonder if this is something I should be concerned about. To add further concern I checked my dipstick and the oil level was high and it smelled like gas. We just had an oil change at the dealer 2,000 miles ago. Ugh

Just a small update on my own personal dive into finding out more about this issue.. Today I was in at my local Mazda Dealer here picking up some parts, it's the only Mazda dealership in my area and services roughly around 150-200k population. I spoke with the parts guy who I know has been at the same dealer for years now about this issue, he informed me they have not had any failures or coolant leak issues with any CX-9's or in fact any Mazda's with the turbocharged Skyactiv-G engines. They said they did replace the head on a non-turbo Skyactiv-G CX-5 recently, but as of today, they have not seen any problems with the turbocharged engines. Maybe this is not as widespread of an issue? Maybe my dealership just is the odd one out? All I can say is, he was surprised when I mentioned this common failure to him.

Is it just me or do these failures happen around 50K - 60K miles? Has anyone seen some encounter this issue with a more high mileage vehicle? Perhaps it's the sort of problem where if it will present itself it will do so within a certain time otherwise you have a "good one" and it'll just last as long as any other engine. In other words, those that will fail will fail "early", or whatever you call 50K - 65k miles.

Having said that, mine is at the 65,000 mile mark (105,000km), so I might be right at that moment of truth myself! (last I checked my coolant level is right where it should be, knock on wood)

Is it just me or do these failures happen around 50K - 60K miles? Has anyone seen some encounter this issue with a more high mileage vehicle? Perhaps it's the sort of problem where if it will present itself it will do so within a certain time otherwise you have a "good one" and it'll just last as long as any other engine. In other words, those that will fail will fail early.

Having said that, mine is at the 65,000 mile mark (105,000km), so I might be right at that moment of truth myself! (last I checked my coolant level is right where it should be, knock on wood)
Fair observation. I’ll offer this anecdotal evidence on a similar issue with Ford 1.6L engines. Most of them were having coolant loss before 50k miles. Mine made it to 110k before it started to lose coolant. There’s a lot of the final model years of that engine finally making it to 100k+ that are failing, what seems like, more often now.

I think there are a lot of factors that would contribute to the failure time. How the vehicle was driven, climate it was in, how often and how well maintenance was done, maybe even what day in the factory the engine was in each stage of being built. You could very well be right though that Mazda had some material related issue and as long as your engine makes it past 60k miles, you’re good. I just entered the 50-60k mile range myself so I guess I may be another data point here soon.

When I was at 30k I noticed with hot engine, my level was right above the low mark. Service helped me fill it back up. Periodically, I would check the level and it seems to be sporadic but never below the low mark. I did top it off again at 60k and now I'm at 75k. Hope it's just normal evaporation. *Knock on wood*

CX-9 engine replacement update: I got a call from my service rep at the dealer and looks like the engine is going in and I will get the CX-9 back late Tuesday of next week. Attached are pics of the new engine and another showing everything pulled off the old engine, tranny on the bench. 3 months in the making, finally. Will be glad to have her back!

Attachments

• IMG-3417.jpg
    IMG-3417.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG-3416.jpg
    IMG-3416.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 283
Back