2016~2023 Bronze/gold wheels on a CX-9?

:
2016 CX-9 GT
Has anyone done bronze or gold wheels on their CX-9? I did the black on black with my previous car and my wife's 4Runner is grey on nautical blue. I've seen some magnetic grey metallic 4Runners rocking bronze/gold wheels and liked the color combo. My machine grey metallic seems to be a bit more goldish than Toyota's MGM and Tire Rack renders seem to confirm that the gold hue to Mazda's MGM doesn't look great with bronze or gold wheels. If anyone has done it and can post pics, that would be great! I know black will look great but I'm trying to go a different way

Sm1ke did it and it looks great in my opinion. I think you have to go more bronze than gold though.

he has more photo on this forum, but here is the first one i could find quickly:

Post in thread 'What have you done to your CX-9 today?'
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...one-to-your-cx-9-today.123863211/post-6698169

Thanks! I made it through quite a few pages of that thread before I gave up. Guess I didn't make it far enough. Now to find some bronze wheels I like and see what bronze will look like in place of all the chrome....

Here's a better pic of my avatar.

attachment.php

One more from a different angle.

attachment.php

And a couple more in different lighting.

DSC05242.JPG

DSC05215.JPG

That looks really good! I think Tire Rack may have yellowed the MGM render too much. Ever thought about matching the chrome to the wheels?

I haven't, but I have considered tinting or blacking out the chrome trim to darken the appearance a bit. Maybe something to consider this summer.

I haven't, but I have considered tinting or blacking out the chrome trim to darken the appearance a bit. Maybe something to consider this summer.

Oooooo. What would you use to tint it darker? I'm not a chrome fan and I think it would be too much bronze to do every piece of chrome in bronze as well as the wheels. I have some black vinyl laying around I was going to put on some of it but a dark chrome would be good too

Edit: the three options I am looking at right now:

1. Mix of bronze and black over the chrome with bronze wheels
2. All black over the chrome and black wheels
3. *Just added* dark chrome with either color wheel

Last edited:
I like the dark chrome option, personally. It's more subtle than the bright chrome and still provides some contrast. I don't think you can go wrong with either black trim and black wheels or dark chrome/black trim with bronze wheels.

I was thinking window tint to darken the chrome bits, but it probably isn't durable enough, so I'd probably use a tinted clear vinyl or a black chrome vinyl wrap. Or a spray on tint like VHT Nightshades, but that might be hard to work with.

Back