CX-5 owner giving my real opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had 5 different vehicles since 2000. A GMC Sierra extended cab pickup, a Chevy Silverado ext cab, 2 different Audi A4 Quattros, and now a 2020 CX-5. I still have my latest Audi but may sell it. I'm nearly 60 now and my hardcore driving days are over. The CX-5 is a great all-around vehicle for me, the only regret I have about it is that the Lane Keeping Assist sucks donkey balls, but that's a relatively unimportant thing to me. Would've been nice if it actually worked though. Maybe after I sell the Audi, I might buy a Comma AI aftermarket system for the Mazda and experiment with it, but that'll be a decision futher down the road. All in all, I'm really pleased with the CX-5 and looking forward to not pouring stupid amounts of money thru the gas tank of the Audi anymore, and not having to pay breathtaking prices for maintenance parts and service on a German money pit car for a daily driver.

I've had 5 different vehicles since 2000. A GMC Sierra extended cab pickup, a Chevy Silverado ext cab, 2 different Audi A4 Quattros, and now a 2020 CX-5. I still have my latest Audi but may sell it. I'm nearly 60 now and my hardcore driving days are over. The CX-5 is a great all-around vehicle for me, the only regret I have about it is that the Lane Keeping Assist sucks donkey balls, but that's a relatively unimportant thing to me. Would've been nice if it actually worked though. Maybe after I sell the Audi, I might buy a Comma AI aftermarket system for the Mazda and experiment with it, but that'll be a decision futher down the road. All in all, I'm really pleased with the CX-5 and looking forward to not pouring stupid amounts of money thru the gas tank of the Audi anymore, and not having to pay breathtaking prices for maintenance parts and service on a German money pit car for a daily driver.
It took you two Audi's to figure that out?

It took you two Audi's to figure that out?
Lol! The first A4 was a used one given to me as a 50th birthday present by a rich doctor friend of mine after he was offered jack squat trade in value on it. So the only expense I ever had was fuel and maintenance expenses. I drove the hell out of it for 5 years, and when a drunk driver in a 4x4 crew cab "Bro Truck" ran me off the highway one night and I veered into the bar ditch when he changed lanes almost into the side of the car while he attempted passing me going over 100MPH and I subsequently hit a concrete drainage structure head-on at 50MPH and walked away from that with only minor injuries and a concussion, I knew I wanted to replace it with another A4 because the crumple zones did their job so extremely well. My second A4 Quattro is a used one I bought for $7500 with only 52K miles on it..... 30-valve V6 3.0L with 6-speed stick shift and not a scratch on it when I bought it, it was literally like new. It runs and drives like a dream, but tempts me to drive at beyond triple digit speeds out on the open highway and I know that'll get me in big trouble someday, lol! It drinks gas too, and I'm 50% German myself so I turn into an aggressive total asshole b**** of a driver on the road when I drive it Hahahaha! That's also why I really need to get rid of it. ;-)

Lol! The first A4 was a used one given to me as a 50th birthday present by a rich doctor friend of mine after he was offered jack squat trade in value on it. So the only expense I ever had was fuel and maintenance expenses. I drove the hell out of it for 5 years, and when a drunk driver in a 4x4 crew cab "Bro Truck" ran me off the highway one night and I veered into the bar ditch when he changed lanes almost into the side of the car while he attempted passing me going over 100MPH and I subsequently hit a concrete drainage structure head-on at 50MPH and walked away from that with only minor injuries and a concussion, I knew I wanted to replace it with another A4 because the crumple zones did their job so extremely well. My second A4 Quattro is a used one I bought for $7500 with only 52K miles on it..... 30-valve V6 3.0L with 6-speed stick shift and not a scratch on it when I bought it, it was literally like new. It runs and drives like a dream, but tempts me to drive at beyond triple digit speeds out on the open highway and I know that'll get me in big trouble someday, lol! It drinks gas too, and I'm 50% German myself so I turn into an aggressive total asshole b**** of a driver on the road when I drive it Hahahaha! That's also why I really need to get rid of it. ;-)
Cool story! 50% here too! German Mom, American Dad. Wife and I were t boned in a camry and was fliped over. A Tahoe ran a red light at 50mph! The Camry kept us safe! 320k miles on it. Was hoping to get 400!

Cool story! 50% here too! German Mom, American Dad.
Same here. Mom born in Nuremberg in 1930, grew up under Hitler, the Nazis and the war. Dad was a 19 yr old GI in the occupation forces, got assigned duty as an MP guarding the prisoners during the Nuremberg war crimes trials, they met there, and got married in 1946 and he brought her home to Texas in 1947. The rest is history and here I am. They're both long gone now, mom passed in 1999, dad in 2009. Dad was half Irish, the other half an assorted mix of ancestry from Welsh, Dutch and Cherokee.

Same here. Mom born in Nuremberg in 1930, grew up under Hitler, the Nazis and the war. Dad was a 19 yr old GI in the occupation forces, got assigned duty as an MP guarding the prisoners during the Nuremberg war crimes trials, they met there, and got married in 1946 and he brought her home to Texas in 1947. The rest is history and here I am. They're both long gone now, mom passed in 1999, dad in 2009. Dad was half Irish, the other half an assorted mix of ancestry from Welsh, Dutch and Cherokee.
Now that's a great story!

I'm about a generation behind you. Maternal grandparents were born in the 20's. Grandfather was drafted into German army very young and ended up being a Russian POW at 17 until the end of the war. After which my grandparents met.

Dad's first duty station was in Karlsruhe where he met Mom. I was born in 78 in Karlsruhe. Same hospital as my Mom. As well as my two sisters. Dad was station in Fort Knox a couple of years in 82 and then back to Garmany. First Dexheim and then back to the Karlsruhe area. Dad spent 18 of his 21 years in the Army in Germany. Move to Iowa where Dad grew up when I was 16. I quickly found out I was no longer allowed to drink beer! Although, I was allowed to drive and quickly fell in love with motorcycles. After high school I joined the U.S. Navy in '97 and have been active duty ever since.

Thankfully, I have family and friends in Germany so am able to visit quite often (before Covid) and have access to Military Space A. Can't beat $20 tickets to Germany!

Sorry everyone! Back to the show🙂

Someone called the CX a lifted MX? Seriously? I own both and believe me, that's not an accurate depiction. Not even close.

Lol, I guess some of us are a little more "enthusiastic" about the CX-5 and it's capabilities than others :)

Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic at all. The CX is a nice handling vehicle for what it is but it ain't no Miata! :)

There's been a few times where I just back home after driving the MX and I hopped into the CX to go get groceries or whatever. I have to totally recalibrate myself to adjust my driving to the MX (and vise versa). It only takes a moment but it's very noticeable.

For instance. The CX is very good at maintaining a straight line on a good road, it's one of the best cars that I've ever had in this respect. I can remove my hands form the steering wheel and it will keep going in a straight line for a long time before I have to make an adjustment. Very little input has to be applied to the steering wheel to keep it going straight.

The MX is the same way but If I applied the same small input to the steering wheel as I did in the CX, I'd be in the other lane or off the side of the road. The MX's steering is that sensitive and extremely responsive! Only a fraction of the amount of adjustment used in the CX is needed in the MX.

I know, it's comparing apples and oranges but saying that the CX is a lifted MX is just bananas. ;)

"I'm nearly 60 now and my hardcore driving days are over."

My condolences on the loss of your hardcore driving days. I'm in my early 60s and mine are far from over. My wife may think otherwise though...

I satisfy my hardcore needs two ways.

If I'm feeling the need for speed and corner carving (which is quite often) my Kawasaki ZG-1400 satisfies that need. FYI, I'm a ATGATT (all the gear all the time) kinda guy.

If I'm feeling the need to carve some corners with the wind in my hair and the top down, it's the Miata. The Miata is not a go fast car but it handles like a dream, a great beautiful dream.

Last edited:
This is a copy/paste from a year old post on reddit?

The original post was copied and pasted from a Reddit post a year ago. Seems like a troll trying too hard.
Nice catch...Or it could be a “Stealth Spammer” that inserts spam links/mentions in a post (sometimes after the fact).
Hello everyone,,

I've been looking for a small crossover and I really like the Mazda cx3. My mom however tells me,as an American, not to buy foreign. She says replacement parts are way more expensive. I don't know if she's right, or if that should really matter when buying a car. I've also never known anyone who drove a Mazda and am curious about their longevity. Anyone have any insight? Also my step dad it's a mechanic that works on mostly Ford products. Would he have any difficulties working on a Mazda if need be?
Ok so now they’re looking for a CX-3 and have been told not to buy “Foreign”?

Spam banning this account (they can contact us if it’s a mistake) and closing this thread.

Please report suspicious behavior like this, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back