Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

Well, if I decide to purchase a cx5 (Sig or GTR), I'll have to drive it in the winter when temps are low to confirm this possible issue before purchase. The 2019 Sigs are discounted $3000 at one of the local dealers here and I'm having a hard time not driving over there and test driving one. That usually ends up in a purchase, but if this power reduction is real, it'll drop off my short list.

I don't need a new vehicle, but I typically keep my daily drivers for 5-7 years. 5 years is coming up on my Explorer and I'm getting the itch, although I can count on it delivering full power regardless of temps (it actually likes the cold weather) and it's still a nice vehicle.

It's funny that the cx5 wasn't really on my radar until the turbo came out. Same with the Explorer. I had no intention of even looking at one, but when they released the 2013 Sport with 365hp EcoBoost, it had my attention. One test drive and I placed my order the next day for a 2014 and haven't regretted it.

Well, if I decide to purchase a cx5 (Sig or GTR), I'll have to drive it in the winter when temps are low to confirm this possible issue before purchase.

If you do this, let us know what the salesguy says about the poor cold weather performance...not that it's likely to be informative.

0*F on the drive home tonight. Same loss in every gear from what I can tell. Pulls normal from 2k-2,500 then just falls flat. Such a disappointment.
Sounds like a good time of year to go to the dealer and have them test drive. After that I would insist their escalating the problem up the Mazda chain.

Well, if I decide to purchase a cx5 (Sig or GTR), I'll have to drive it in the winter when temps are low to confirm this possible issue before purchase. The 2019 Sigs are discounted $3000 at one of the local dealers here and I'm having a hard time not driving over there and test driving one. That usually ends up in a purchase, but if this power reduction is real, it'll drop off my short list.

Oh it’s real.

Sounds like a good time of year to go to the dealer and have them test drive. After that I would insist their escalating the problem up the Mazda chain.
Waste of my time. The local dealer lied about checking the transmission fluid. Dealer I purchased the car from is 2+ hours away. And the reality is, this is likely intentional. It’s just that Mazda didn’t do a good job with the tune to make is less noticeable.

Other threads linked here show this has been an thing with Mazda turbo vehicles since the speed3.

And now the 2019 Sig's and the GTR's are discounted over $4k at one of the local dealers.:unsure:

Waste of my time. The local dealer lied about checking the transmission fluid. Dealer I purchased the car from is 2+ hours away. And the reality is, this is likely intentional. It’s just that Mazda didn’t do a good job with the tune to make is less noticeable.

Other threads linked here show this has been an thing with Mazda turbo vehicles since the speed3.

Odd that I never had any power issues with my 07 Speed6. Same engine as the Speed3. Was that on newer Speed3's? May bedifferent tune due to fwd vs awd?

Well this thread pretty much convinced me my next car won't be a turbo CX5.
;)

Not sure that's a wise decision. I'm really struggling to see this as a real problem. I've had my GTR since last February, now at 24,000mi. If mine has the problem, it really has gone un-noticed by me so far. And I jump on the expressway less than 2 miles from home every morning.

I wonder if the 2020's have a different tune that may have fixed this problem? They do have an extra 10 ft-lbs of torque.

Maybe someone in a colder area can test a 2020 with the 2.5T and report back?

19*f yesterday...nonissue. 23*f today...weksos. I'm guessing IAT is what it goes off of but am prepared to accept that maybe it is sensing something else, too?

I'd buy a RAV4 Prime, no question, if I were in the market for a CUV in the next 6mo.
I put down a $500 deposit at my Toyota dealer a couple weeks ago to be 1st on the list when it arrives. It's refundable in the event I change my mind. The numbers are too good to resist right now. If the MSRP ends up being too high I'll fall back on a GTR.

I’m also unsure if it’s just IAT. It was 18*F on the way home today. After sitting in traffic for 5+ minutes, I was the first car at the light next to an Audi A6- I punched it on the green and it felt just fine(the older gentleman in the Audi had no interest) but I was shocked at how it responded at that temp.

Get to the next light after ~3 miles at 60 mph, at the light for maybe 30 seconds, punch it and get what I normally expect in these temps.

I wonder if sitting in traffic was heating the intake air just enough for the first pull to be normal.

Another observation tonight was that 4th appears to not be impacted as much(or at all?). If I punch it at 30 in 2nd or 3rd it falls flat almost right away. Almost painful to watch how slow the tach rises. If I punch it in 4th at 30, it feels much better. I only did this up to about 40ish, so it might just be that I didn’t rev it high enough in 4th to notice.

Unobtanium- are you going to take your dealer up on the offer to data log?

I’m also unsure if it’s just IAT. It was 18*F on the way home today. After sitting in traffic for 5+ minutes, I was the first car at the light next to an Audi A6- I punched it on the green and it felt just fine(the older gentleman in the Audi had no interest) but I was shocked at how it responded at that temp.

Get to the next light after ~3 miles at 60 mph, at the light for maybe 30 seconds, punch it and get what I normally expect in these temps.

I wonder if sitting in traffic was heating the intake air just enough for the first pull to be normal.

Another observation tonight was that 4th appears to not be impacted as much(or at all?). If I punch it at 30 in 2nd or 3rd it falls flat almost right away. Almost painful to watch how slow the tach rises. If I punch it in 4th at 30, it feels much better. I only did this up to about 40ish, so it might just be that I didn’t rev it high enough in 4th to notice.

Unobtanium- are you going to take your dealer up on the offer to data log?
Yes, just waiting on cold weather. It's hovering around 20ish at night, 30ish days, and I don't want to waste my time or theirs.

I'd buy a RAV4 Prime, no question, if I were in the market for a CUV in the next 6mo.

Finally got to drive me wife's girlfriends XC60. I think i'd lean towards a used one of those next. It's a great car but the price new is just too steep for me. Of course, It's going to be quite some time as I still do love my CX5. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

2019 GTR, long time lurker, first time poster here...

Last 5 days, temps were around -15C and i experienced the same problem as some other here. It's like the turbo is no longer there :cry:

I have Blizzak winter tires mounted on 17'' wheels. The combination of softer rubber compound and higher tire sidewall exacerbate the amount of torque steer when flooring it, compared to the 19'' OEM wheels/tires.

But the last 5 days, torque steer was gone ...

This morning, -5C, power was back ... and so is the torque steer !

Last 5 days, temps were around -15C and i experienced the same problem as some other here. It's like the turbo is no longer there :cry:

I have Blizzak winter tires mounted on 17'' wheels. The combination of softer rubber compound and higher tire sidewall exacerbate the amount of torque steer when flooring it, compared to the 19'' OEM wheels/tires.

Next time temps get down there again, try 4th gear manual mode and see how it pulls.

Welcome aboard.

I hope that Mazda is looking for a solution to this.

Welcome aboard.

I hope that Mazda is looking for a solution to this.

Thanks !

I dont’ expect too much from Mazda ...

Two days ago, i called my dealer and have been told that they have never heard of this problem, that i was the first one complaining about it. Sure ....

I called another dealer and this time got some interesting responses.

First of all, they are very aware of this problem. The service manager told me that they have received lot of complaints from turbo CX5 owners since the colder temps are here. They have tested other CX5 turbo from their lot and they behave exactly the same. The CX9 does not seem to be affected by this problem.

Their master tech have installed data loggers on some CX5 turbo and according to him, there seems to be some kind of torque reduction that is applied to the wheels as soon as the outside air temp reach a trigger point, which seems to be around -7C,-8C. He's not sure if it involves the TCS or something else but to him , it seems that Mazda is messing with the torque on colder temps ...

They have tried to get answers from Mazda but just like everybody else here, they are left in the dark. Mazda told them that there was nothing wrong with the cars, they were operating as designed !
Their only guess for now is that Maxda may be doing this as a safety feature on colder temps but he agrees that the implementation is way too agressive, and a growing number of owners are complaining about this.

I'm going to push my case to Mazda ...

Back