new small suv's with flash

But it is actually going to be peppy! Upper 200's in the hp dept, real AWD, torque vectoring, 10-speed...

Noone cares about the CX5. Noone is trying to look like the CX5. I don't know why people think otherwise. In this thread or another, I remember someone saying "Oh, it has the NAV like the new CX5..." as if ANYONE is emulating the CX5. Mazda got that s*** from late 2000's BMW, except Mazda went cheap and it doesn't retract, which honestly I think is a good thing, as it won't break the retracting mechanism, either, lol.

You re right that Mazda has emulated other makers. The commander knob comes to mind. Didn't BMW have that?

But just exterior design language, I absolutely think other makers emulated the CX-5 a bit. That RDX looks absolutely like their own spin on a CX-5 design. Sorry, it just does.

Just like that new RAV4 is a spitting image of a Subaru Outback or Crosstrek.

In fact, Mazda is trying hard to stop being Mazda. Look at the Gen2 vs. Gen 1 CX5. Clearly they are done with "Kodo" or whatever they call it, and going with a more tried and true appearance.

Could not agree more.

To me the gen 2 Mazda CX-5 exterior looks like the F-pace. So I think they’re emulating Jaguar not Mazda. Looking like a Jag isn’t a bad thing. Looks are the one thing they do right.

To me the gen 2 Mazda CX-5 exterior looks like the F-pace. So I think they’re emulating Jaguar not Mazda. Looking like a Jag isn’t a bad thing. Looks are the one thing they do right.

Yeah, but the F-Pace came out after the CX-5. PErhaps that has no bearing on the discussion of who is copying who. (You are probably right, they are copying the Jag over the Mazda). But just saying...

These designs that emulate a CX-5...the CX-5 showed up first.

Yeah, but the F-Pace came out after the CX-5. PErhaps that has no bearing on the discussion of who is copying who. (You are probably right, they are copying the Jag over the Mazda). But just saying...

These designs that emulate a CX-5...the CX-5 showed up first.

Before gen2? They showed it off at the auto show in like 2015 which was before we saw what the gen2 would look like. Took them a while to actually get them on the road but I think they were leading with the style anyways.

Before gen2? They showed it off at the auto show in like 2015 which was before we saw what the gen2 would look like. Took them a while to actually get them on the road but I think they were leading with the style anyways.

Oh I was just talking CX-5 style in general, not necessarily gen 2. But I get what you are saying.

You re right that Mazda has emulated other makers. The commander knob comes to mind. Didn't BMW have that?

But just exterior design language, I absolutely think other makers emulated the CX-5 a bit. That RDX looks absolutely like their own spin on a CX-5 design. Sorry, it just does.

Just like that new RAV4 is a spitting image of a Subaru Outback or Crosstrek.
Audi had a knob first.

Audi had a knob first.

BMW added a touch screen and gesture control. So you can yell at it and give it the finger when it doesn’t listen! I believe Mazda was first to offer the knob and touch screen together.

I just hope the suv craze ends during my lifetime.

I read an article that full size 4 door pickups are the new family haulers. Remember when mini vans were the rage. Hardly see them on the road now.

Not for long.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ferrar...rmed-for-late-2019-fastest-suv-crown-targeted

I saw a Maserati Levante. I didn't know that was a thing. Had to look it up.
Starts @ $76,000. Looks like a big wagon.
Is there any brand that refuses to make an SUV? Oh yes there is one: Ferrari.

b675babc8f6833818a88b3670941572f.jpg

The Rav4 still looks poor IMO.

CX-5 looks like a lot of other SUV available, there's not a lot you can do with styling with a SUV, but Mazda doo better than most.

New rav 4 out and it is has exceptional lines on it. Others are implementing them and Mazda is taking it away. 2014 the CX-5 had looks above others easily. What is Mazda doing? Sad that a really fun to drive, better than the rest in class imo is going backwards. If they don't put the 2.5t in the CX-5 isn't going to keep selling.

I don't like, any of today's compact SUVs. I said that I like the RAV4, because it has some character, read looks different, than the bunch. But, if I had to buy something, I wouldn't. I still think that, mine is still looks better than anything out there.
The sad part is, that my wife will need something, around November, December.

I wish I had a chance to shop this before I bought my 18 X3.

BMW-X2-Photo-gallery-Lisbon-65.jpg

This is a bit much though.

BMW-X2-original-accessories-01.jpg

Last edited:
Really? Seems like first gen was a lot more mainstream of a design. The gen2 takes an approach you dont see too often in modern cars with the narrow headlights and aggressive grill

Really? Seems like first gen was a lot more mainstream of a design. The gen2 takes an approach you dont see too often in modern cars with the narrow headlights and aggressive grill

Are you talking about the X2? This is the first Gen of this model.

I don't like, any of today's compact SUVs. I said that I like the RAV4, because it has some character, read looks different, than the bunch. But, if I had to buy something, I wouldn't. I still think that, mine is still looks better than anything out there.
The sad part is, that my wife will need something, around November, December.

get her a Mirage :)

Really? Seems like first gen was a lot more mainstream of a design. The gen2 takes an approach you don’t see too often in modern cars with the narrow headlights and aggressive grill
I don't know. Gen 1 front was aggressive imo when you compared it to the price point comparable competition at the time. The Kodo design language in the sides as well, subtle but distinguished to enable the idea that the CX-5 was in motion (the swoop), much better than the side crap other manufacturers do that tends to be over the top. Rear spoiler over the rear window much better shaped. And no awful chrome all over the damn place.

Sorry, gen 2 can keep its overbite and over chrome and no Kodo.

All of course, just my opinion. The more I see gen 2s ih the wild the more I hate their look.

Latest posts

Back