A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

Nearly every car company has cars that have this feature in the US. I don't think battery or cost for consumer replaceables is a reason Mazda doesn't have it here.

That doesn't change the fact that you can't get aftermarket enhanced flooded batteries in the US... show me this has changed and I'll feel better about it

thanks for the welcomes and the oil advice will do! Just wanted you all to know the 2018 purchasers are reading and learning! thanks! :D

I just looked at the latest EDM parts catalog for the KF CX-5 and can confirm the following:
  • i-ELOOP and i-stop comes with the cars that have cylinder deactivation feature
  • Cylinder deactivation is on the 2.5l (PY) engine only
  • i-ELOOP is not available with the 2.0l (PE) engine, but i-stop is
  • Automatic transmission is the only choice; no surprise since the 2.5l comes with AWD only
  • The parts catalog lists the cylinder deactivation 2.5l engine as a "PY UD". It appears it is not available in Japan yet, so no true engine designation code is known yet.
  • Different pistons are used compared to the normal PY (non-cylinder deactivation) engine
  • Different cylinder head and valve cover are used for the cylinder deactivation engine
  • Head gasket, and valve seals are the same as the non-cylinder deactivation engine
  • Valves, valve springs, lifters, rocker arms are different
  • Different camshafts and cam pulleys
  • Different engine block
  • Different exhaust manifold design
  • Different torque converter

I'm sure there's a lot more minor differences, but those appear to be the main things

Last edited:
So can you confirm all your windows are one touch up / down?

Brrr....it is freezing here 11 balmy degrees lol just went out to the garage and used the one touch up down on all four windows and it works. didn't sit by each window to try it. From the drivers door all four windows are one touch up/down. thanks for an easy question...lol :)

Excellent. Thanks for putting that question to rest. [emoji106]

Excellent information - thanks for this!

Anything there on shift paddles as standard equipment for the PY engine? My 2.5L 2018 AWD is on order scheduled for late Feb build. Hoping paddles are part of the PY equipment package.

Anything there on shift paddles as standard equipment for the PY engine? My 2.5L 2018 AWD is on order scheduled for late Feb build. Hoping paddles are part of the PY equipment package.

Belgium 2018 brochure is not out yet so no idea

Give me a little credit. I'm not just randomly hating a feature I've never used. I drove a high end Volvo with this feature. It shut off at every single light. It wasn't very noticeable. I'd just prefer it didn't.

I have had 2 x CX5’s since 2013 (both diesel, sorry to rub it in!) and both with iStop.

There are quite a few things that you can do to stop it from stopping the engine if you dont want it to. Apart from pressing the iStop off button, that is!

The simplest, and one you quickly learn and adapt to, is brake pedal pressure. The iStop system is very sensitive to brake pressure, so hold the pedal pressure just lightly, just enough to stop the car, and it wont activate. But if you see the traffic ahead is all stopped and going nowhere, firmer pressure on the brake pedal and iStop will stop the engine, unless there is another reason why not. Such as air conditioning not cold enough, or too much draw from other sources on the battery.

If you are wanting a really quick getaway from stopped, eg you can see a gap in the traffic coming soon, and the iStop has turned the engine off, just ease off the brake pressure and the engine instantly restarts. Then you are 100% ready to zoom off with no delay at all.

Having said that, it really is so quick to restart the engine that side by side at a red light with another car, you are away just as quickly as them anyway.

Also any tiny movement if the steering wheel and iStop wont stop the engine.

Really, most people get used to it fairly quickly, same as any other new thing.

By the way, I went to your US autobarn batteries website and did the “select a battery” thing for a 2016 CX5 GT AWD and it came up with several AGM batteries. From what I am told by battery people here, an AGM stop/start battery trumps any EFB battery, so I dont think you will have too much trouble getting a suitable aftermarket battery.

Mazda here replaces any failed factory fitted batteries within the first 2 years anyway (Panasonic warranty so no skin off Mazda noses) so you have a while before it will be an issue.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ery/duralast-platinum-battery/377104_939658_0

Just, for heavens sake people, maintain the battery properly - keep the electrolyte topped up regularly, and put the battery on a multistage smart charger if the car isnt going to be used for a week or more. 7eregrine, thats not aimed at you, just seems that many in the general population and even on this forum seem to assume they have totally maintenance free batteries without actually looking at their car’s battery, and seeing the little filler caps there waiting to be opened and checked!

Last edited:

It's not showing in the parts catalog, so I'm doubting it
your best buy is buying the switch kit from Japan and installing it

I have had 2 x CX5’s since 2013 (both diesel, sorry to rub it in!) and both with iStop.

There are quite a few things that you can do to stop it from stopping the engine if you dont want it to. Apart from pressing the iStop off button, that is!

The simplest, and one you quickly learn and adapt to, is brake pedal pressure. The iStop system is very sensitive to brake pressure, so hold the pedal pressure just lightly, just enough to stop the car, and it wont activate. But if you see the traffic ahead is all stopped and going nowhere, firmer pressure on the brake pedal and iStop will stop the engine, unless there is another reason why not. Such as air conditioning not cold enough, or too much draw from other sources on the battery.

If you are wanting a really quick getaway from stopped, eg you can see a gap in the traffic coming soon, and the iStop has turned the engine off, just ease off the brake pressure and the engine instantly restarts. Then you are 100% ready to zoom off with no delay at all.

Having said that, it really is so quick to restart the engine that side by side at a red light with another car, you are away just as quickly as them anyway.

Also any tiny movement if the steering wheel and iStop wont stop the engine.

Really, most people get used to it fairly quickly, same as any other new thing.

By the way, I went to your US autobarn batteries website and did the “select a battery” thing for a 2016 CX5 GT AWD and it came up with several AGM batteries. From what I am told by battery people here, an AGM stop/start battery trumps any EFB battery, so I dont think you will have too much trouble getting a suitable aftermarket battery.

Mazda here replaces any failed factory fitted batteries within the first 2 years anyway (Panasonic warranty so no skin off Mazda noses) so you have a while before it will be an issue.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ery/duralast-platinum-battery/377104_939658_0

Just, for heavens sake people, maintain the battery properly - keep the electrolyte topped up regularly, and put the battery on a multistage smart charger if the car isnt going to be used for a week or more. 7eregrine, thats not aimed at you, just seems that many in the general population and even on this forum seem to assume they have totally maintenance free batteries without actually looking at their car’s battery, and seeing the little filler caps there waiting to be opened and checked!

Whoa ... my battery needs filling? Distilled water?

Whoa ... my battery needs filling? Distilled water?
Check the maintenance schedule in your Owners Manual ⋯

But wait, battery maintenance is nowhere can be found in entire Owners Manual! So whose fault is that when CX-5 owners are assuming they have a totally maintenance-free battery?

Distilled water is fine for battery refilling. Of course more expensive deionised water is better.

Over the 3 years I owned my Mazda 6, never had to top up the battery. Levels were good and I had both i-stop and i-eloop

This is what I was talking about when I said you have to lose the old school ways of doing things. These AGM batteries do not require any maintenance other than careful monitoring of the charge state if they are stored off the vehicle otherwise the balance of the electrolyte will be changed. These PDFs are heavy but you can summarise by saying dont mess.

Be aware that some batteries can be self sealed meaning you only have to watch the indicator colour change to know that the battery condition is changing

Back