US Diesel's big splash introduction

I've been driving diesels ever since I learned how to drive. I only made the mistake once re presuming the "reserve" capacity om the road and I don't want to make the same mistake again. [emoji3]
I always replenish the tank to full when it reaches a little bit over 1/4 but on out of town trips where fuel stations are farther apart, a fill up the tank whenever it reaches 1/2 just to be sure. Though the farthest I've driven non stop is 650 kilometers.

My mantra is to mix up fuel refills, sometimes half tank, sometimes more, sometimes less so the new fuel can mix with the old fuel already in the tank and stir up any existing "gunk" in the tank. This is regardless of it being diesel or unleaded fuel

I have never seen 4K down any hill in auto. In fact in auto down hill with the foot of the accelerator I don't recall ever seeing 3K.
And whats racing or towing got to do with how the auto deals with a down hill gradient?

*sigh*
Do I need to make a video? I mean, what's in it for me to consistently keep proving people wrong other than the ego boost :(

Here's over 3K, and that's taking it easy, just hitting the brake without much hill to it at all, just a corner coming up.

I'm sure I can provoke well over 4K for you on a hill, lol!

Last edited:
Really I don't think so, "sigh", not with any diesel cx-5.

But please show me how its done, then I won't have to use manual to achieve what I want.

*sigh*
Do I need to make a video? I mean, what's in it for me to consistently keep proving people wrong other than the ego boost :(

Here's over 3K, and that's taking it easy, just hitting the brake without much hill to it at all, just a corner coming up.

*sigh*

You can't compare a petrol with a diesel auto. It means nothing. Driving at 70 and using a phone?

Last edited:
You can't compare a petrol with a diesel auto. It means nothing. Driving at 70 and using a phone?

And he said downhiill, in the video, you look to be going uphill. That said, if you are seeing those RPM going downhill, that may explain your issues. Again, you have the outlier car that might be bad, not everyone else. My CX-5 will never downshift going downhill unless I have cruise control set and it uses that to slow the car down.

*sigh*

The most impressive part of your video is that your wife's glassware shifting back and forth in the back did not break.

I'll try that might be an option for towing.

And he said downhiill, in the video, you look to be going uphill. That said, if you are seeing those RPM going downhill, that may explain your issues. Again, you have the outlier car that might be bad, not everyone else. My CX-5 will never downshift going downhill unless I have cruise control set and it uses that to slow the car down.

Looks like reviewer drove the lower tune of the 2.2D...no idea if that's indicative of what's coming to North America (though I've seen info we're actually getting a more powerful version).

http://driving.ca/mazda/cx-5/reviews/road-test/first-drive-2018-mazda-cx-5-diesel

MUNICH – Of the compact crossovers on the market, the Mazda CX-5 has to rank as one of the more attractive. It has a bolder style and more sportiness in its make-up than many of its peers. This combination has served it well thus far, however, it is about to get even more attractive — the addition of a diesel engine early next year.

As it stands, the CX-5 is offered two ways. The base 2.0L four-cylinder has 155 horsepower and 150 pound-feet of torque. For those interested in economy more than driving pleasure, it’s right choice. The second option is the 2.5L four-cylinder. It ups the numbers to 187 horsepower and 185 lb.-ft. of torque. This is enough to instill some real zeal into the drive. Then there’s the new diesel — it promises the best of both worlds, and so it could end up being the top seller.

The 2.2-litre, four-cylinder Skyactiv-D turbodiesel engine pumps out 150 horsepower and, more importantly, 280 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,800 rpm. It has plenty of pop off the line and a strong mid-range. It is also suitably muted. Yes, it sounds diesel-like at idle, but once driving it is quiet and smooth — it is such most will not pick up on the fact it consumes diesel and not gasoline.

...more in link

US dealerships getting ready for SkyAvtiv-D

Attachments

• download_20170905_174943.jpg
    download_20170905_174943.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 136
Back