2016 CX-9 GT - Retrofitting Sig. edition grille

dandanio

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
Has anyone attempted it?

I did not get the Signature edition because of the terrible interior color - but I really liked the lighted grille from the Sig. edition. Has anyone attempted/researched if retrofitting it on the GT version is possible? I haven't done anything yet, this is my first attempt to start the research.

Btw. my first post, HI!

It's just the led lighting that is the difference. I imagine it will fit fine but I don't know about actually lighting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't clear enough: I am sure the grille would fit just fine, I was wondering if there is an outlet to plug the LEDs into.

I'll be following your progress on this. I'd love to have the lit grill as well.

I like the Grill. I have the GT with the Grill (standard in MX for the GT). Barely see it at day but very cool at night. I believe this can be added to any CX9 Turbo because is just connected to the headlight.

I like the Grill. I have the GT with the Grill (standard in MX for the GT). Barely see it at day but very cool at night.

Ugh, I hate to ask for a favor, but if you could, can you find a plug where the led strip(s) plug into? And it would be super fantastic if you could take a pic. We all would be forever in debt to you. :) I am still looking for a shop manual but until then we can only rely on peers for help and pics.

Ugh, I hate to ask for a favor, but if you could, can you find a plug where the led strip(s) plug into? And it would be super fantastic if you could take a pic. We all would be forever in debt to you. :) I am still looking for a shop manual but until then we can only rely on peers for help and pics.

I second that :D
I would also like to install it on mine. Have you found the part no.?

I hope to be able to check on the weekend.

Has anyone attempted it?

I did not get the Signature edition because of the terrible interior color - but I really liked the lighted grille from the Sig. edition. Has anyone attempted/researched if retrofitting it on the GT version is possible? I haven't done anything yet, this is my first attempt to start the research.

Btw. my first post, HI!

Differences on taste are amazing. You call the auburn interior "terrible". For me, it's actually one of the very reasons to buy the CX-9. Best interior color ever.

So I heard from the dealership the grille from the signature edition is $765. That makes it slightly prohibitively expensive and that does not include the wiring need to be changed to have the OEM-like installation. I will keep my eye on the eBay listings and the craigslist postings.

So I heard from the dealership the grille from the signature edition is $765. That makes it slightly prohibitively expensive and that does not include the wiring need to be changed to have the OEM-like installation. I will keep my eye on the eBay listings and the craigslist postings.

ohhhh. This is expensive.

I am yet to see a good clear picture of this LED grill at night (or better yet, one in person). Not sure it's worth the $1,000+ (including labor) from the dealership.

I am yet to see a good clear picture of this LED grill at night (or better yet, one in person). Not sure it's worth the $1,000+ (including labor) from the dealership.

It's a complete waste of money if you already bought a Grand Touring AWD for just $2500 less than a signature. Obviously, buying a Signature first with all extras is the best deal.

I'm sure the power adapter is something you can buy from a 3rd party, nothing custom from mazda. Also guessing its just putting out a standard voltage, and there's no regulator between the lights and plug. There's oodles of led light strips out there, in different colors. The biggest challange may be getting the strip light to adhere permanantly to the grill for all weather conditions.

I have a better idea and might turn out better than the OEM CX-9 grill lighting and a lot cheaper.

see video below for Mazda 6 lighted grill

instead of lighting the inside of wing Mazda decided to mount the LED strip on the plastic bumper side and shine light to the outside of the signature grill wings !! using the natural reflection of the chrome metal the lighting seems more uniform and flowing.

and light up the chrome ALL THE WAY TO THE HEADLIGHT ! now that looks like an airplane wing all lit up instead of just the inside. Looks better in my opinion AND easier to adhere an aftermarket LED strip to the plastic bumper than the chrome side.

If someone handy can accomplish this, then it will be super nice and very unique, plus with all the options of aftermarket LED strips, it'll be very easy to switch colors or intensity

Last edited:
It would undeniably be easier but when I mod my cars, I follow, what is known as, OEM+ path, which requires modding with parts from the sane manufacturer, possibly from a different domestic market or from a similar model. Everything else should be left unchanged. That's what I am planning on doing with the grille.

Here is a picture of the signature grille:
image.jpg

2drt5zs.jpg

My Signature...the grille is a nice touch

It would be a cool long exposure photo with a tripod and no flash. I am drooling, anyway... [emoji106]

Back