2016 CX-5 Touring driver's seat rocks slightly

:
2018 CX-5 Tour
Does anyone else's driver's seat do it? Normally, I can feel the slight rock in slow, stop-and-go traffic when coming to a complete stop. Entire seat rocks slightly. I can also get it to rock just by rocking in it. Feels like the mounting somewhere is a bit loose. Brought it to the dealer; dealer said they tightened it a bit and aligned. It's still the same. Doesn't seem that the tracks bolting it to the floor are the problem. I ran it through all the power settings and it still rocks. Is this normal for the power seat mechanism?

No, it's not normal. Get your next door neighbor to sit in it an get it rocking while you check out what's going on with the mechanism. Shouldn't be that difficult to determine if you can get it to do it as easily as you say.

Mine has been doing that as well. So far, the dealer has replaced the tracks under warranty; that worked for a while, then the problem came back. They also tightened things up and it also helped reduce the issue, but I know it's going to come back eventually.

They also told me that Mazda doesn't engineer its seats to accommodate people weighing 250 pounds and over. I certainly hope that's untrue...and it's also quite insulting to hear.

What about the G - Forces involved in a collision? Surely the seat has got to withstand those? I think the dealer is making an excuse about the weight of people.

Jonno21

My 2014 is doing this - going to the dealer soon to have it looked at.

Mine had a little play-- just enough to be noticeable. I brought it up with the dealer at the first oil change, they ordered new rails and put them in at the second oil change. Fixed it completely, driver's seat is now rock steady. I was actually surprised the dealership was so quick to get on this-- I thought they might dismiss it as "within spec." I suspect that there might be a bit of an issue, so definitely have the dealership take a look.

Mine had a little play-- just enough to be noticeable. I brought it up with the dealer at the first oil change, they ordered new rails and put them in at the second oil change. Fixed it completely, driver's seat is now rock steady. I was actually surprised the dealership was so quick to get on this-- I thought they might dismiss it as "within spec." I suspect that there might be a bit of an issue, so definitely have the dealership take a look.

Let us know if the problem comes back again. I didn't notice any movement when I first purchased my 2015 CX-5, but it also has play and rocks now. I notice it the most when I brake hard or accelerate quickly. When I rock the seat and reach down I can feel the play is in the tracks. The movement also causes the power seat mechanism to work harder when adjusting the seat....I can feel it when making an adjustment.

I hope enough people complain to Mazda so they look into the issue and make the necessary modifications to eliminate the issue.

I would like to have the dealer look at my vehicle but judging from other posts, they will likely replace the tracks which may only cure the problem short term. I can live with the play in the seat, as long as it doesn't have any ill effects on the power seat working properly.

Last edited:
I just went outside to check the passenger front seat for play. It's a non power seat. It too has some play....I wonder if this is "normal" as opposed to a defect.

My 3 day old 2016 GT has the front seat that rocks a little bit. Hard to see exactly where it is moving. Difficult to look under the seat while rocking it at the same time. The passenger seat doesn't seem to move at all. Do you think I ought to have the dealer take a look at it?

Yeah, I think you should. The movement in my seat was slight enough that I wondered if it wasn't just inherent in the tolerances for something that needed to move without binding, but once I brought it up with the dealership they immediately ordered new rails. Now that it doesn't move at all, the difference is really noticeable.

BTW, mine had play straight off the dealer's lot, so it wasn't a matter of an undersized part distorting under use, or anything. I'll post hear if it develops post-fix movement, but so far it's fine (been about two months).

Was test fitting my bike rack at the dealer yesterday and had the service department look at the seat rocking and he dismissed it right away saying that all power seats do that to some degree. The one on the show room floor didn't seem to move as much. I'll drive it a bit more as is and bring it up again at the first oil change. On Tuesday I'm having some scratches fixed by the dealer (they have a pro detailed come in) that I found on the rear hatch on. I don't want to wear out my welcome and be "that" guy, but I'll look at few others if I can. I don't notice the seat rocking much when driving unless I really concentrate on it.

*update* went for a little drive tonight and I have to say, love the car! The LED lights are awesome and it's just nice to drive. But gosh darn the seat is bugging me more and more. i think I'm going to have to push the dealer to fix it.

Last edited:
Mine rocked just a little, and after dealer repair doesn't rock at all. No play whatsoever. So I think your dealer is just blowing you off with his "they all do that" line.

I took mine to the dealer and he said the same thing, that because there's a motor it's normal to have a little play. He got in and tried it. Bothers me, though. I'll probably go back.

Mine rocked just a little, and after dealer repair doesn't rock at all. No play whatsoever. So I think your dealer is just blowing you off with his "they all do that" line.

Did the dealer mention if there was a revised part, or was it the same part number?

Last edited:
Didn't mention a revised part, work invoice notes part #KF-69-88-AF0A "power unit."

EDIT: I googled the part # and it appears to be the entire lower seat frame-- everything but the seat cushion including rails. As an OEM part it's $380.

Last edited:
My 2015 CX-5 seat is still rocking....its annoying, however, I don't want the dealer to attempt to replace the lower seat unit and possibly mess something else up if the problem is just going to come back again.

I drove a 2016 CX-5 (rental). It had 3000 miles on it and the seat also rocked just like mine. Although annoying, I wonder if they all are prone to the same thing. If the part number is the exact same, there is no reason the new seat tracks wouldn't eventually end up doing the same thing as others have suggested.

Well, again, mine rocked from day one, and getting the part replaced has kept it solid for the last 6 months. I'll report back if it redevelops the problem.

I've had a BMW that had a seat that rocked and the dealer could never fix it. I've had an Audi with the most comfortable 10 way power seat ever and it was solid.

The seat in my 2016 CX-5 GT rocks back and forth. I'm going to have the dealer fix it until they ask me not to come back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does anyone else's driver's seat do it? Normally, I can feel the slight rock in slow, stop-and-go traffic when coming to a complete stop. Entire seat rocks slightly. I can also get it to rock just by rocking in it. Feels like the mounting somewhere is a bit loose. Brought it to the dealer; dealer said they tightened it a bit and aligned. It's still the same. Doesn't seem that the tracks bolting it to the floor are the problem. I ran it through all the power settings and it still rocks. Is this normal for the power seat mechanism?

I signed in today to look into this. I thought I might be insane and that it was an isolated incident with out '16 GT, but apparently not!

My 2013 CX-5 Touring driver's seat just plain rocks! Not side to side, just all day comfort, support and breathability.

Back