Thoughts on Forced Induction on the mazda3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piloti3

Anybody running a forced induction system on their Mazda3? If so what is your setup?
I had looking into the Tri-point Engineering's turbo system for the Mazda3, but since they are no longer in business.
Seems like this market is under-served for the non-turbo Mazda3. Conversely, I have heard that there is a perception that the Mazda3 market wouldnt be willing to pay such a system.
Opinions?

I can't imagine why I would put an aftermarket turbo on a non-turbo Mazda3, instead of just buying a Mazdaspeed3 with its factory turbo. If most people think the same way, there would be little market for add-on turbo systems.

I can't imagine why I would put an aftermarket turbo on a non-turbo Mazda3, instead of just buying a Mazdaspeed3 with its factory turbo. If most people think the same way, there would be little market for add-on turbo systems.

well, if you can't afford a ms3, and you can buy a turbo kit for your mz3, then why not? maybe it's aesthetics. i don't care for the way the ms3 looks, i like the simpler, cleaner lines of the mz3. or if you have a sedan.

well, if you can't afford a ms3, and you can buy a turbo kit for your mz3, then why not?
It always seems unlikely to me that thoroughly replacing the all of the changes in a vehicle which come as part of a package like the Mazdaspeed would be cheaper using aftermarket parts than getting it already built from the factory, but perhaps the Mazdaspeed3 price is so high that it makes sense in this case. I think more commonly the aftermarket turbo kit just does only part of the job.

maybe it's aesthetics. i don't care for the way the ms3 looks, i like the simpler, cleaner lines of the mz3. or if you have a sedan.
I get the desire for a sedan, and aftermarket is probably the way to get that, unless you can buy a wrecked Mazdaspeed3 hatch with all of the needed parts usable on your sedan.

Anybody running a forced induction system on their Mazda3? If so what is your setup?
I had looking into the Tri-point Engineering's turbo system for the Mazda3, but since they are no longer in business.
Seems like this market is under-served for the non-turbo Mazda3. Conversely, I have heard that there is a perception that the Mazda3 market wouldnt be willing to pay such a system.
Opinions?

Hey buddy, please don't let these NON enthusiasts deter you......You can turbo just about ANYTHING!! I find myself getting annoyed at people asking WHY this, WHy that, Do what makes you happy bro, someone has to pioneer the 3, why not you?

Total non enthusiast here.....(piss)

I find myself getting annoyed at people asking WHY this, WHy that...
The original poster opened the discussion of "why" (note: no capitals needed) and explicitly asked for opinions; I provided one. If you have difficulty reading with comprehension, you may have missed that. ;)

Do what makes you happy bro, someone has to pioneer the 3, why not you?
Someone already has pioneered turbocharging a 3: it was Mazda.

Total non enthusiast here.....(piss)
That's hilarious. I competed in motorsports for years, and did all my own wrenching for decades. I'm completely supportive of people doing interesting things with cars, such as adding a turbocharger to a model that is not available with one from the factory - I just don't see the point of copying something you can just buy readily. Of course, if you want a turbo 3 sedan, or just want to do this as a hobby, or have any other reason that makes sense to you, go for it! :)

The original poster opened the discussion of "why" (note: no capitals needed) and explicitly asked for opinions; I provided one. If you have difficulty reading with comprehension, you may have missed that. ;)

That's hilarious. I competed in motorsports for years, and did all my own wrenching for decades. I'm completely supportive of people doing interesting things with cars, such as adding a turbocharger to a model that is not available with one from the factory - I just don't see the point of copying something you can just buy readily. Of course, if you want a turbo 3 sedan, or just want to do this as a hobby, or have any other reason that makes sense to you, go for it! :)

"Someone already has pioneered turbocharging a 3: it was Mazda"

You totally failed trying to "sound" intellectual

(poke) seriously??.....You have no clue how you look right now

LMAO....You really proved you're a NON ENTUSIAST (wedge)....And I'm done.(deadhorse

Last edited:

Dude.....So many NON turbo (converted to turbo) cars running out here, just imagine if the all thought like you? The EVO community (using this as an example) even though their car come turbo from the factory are adding aftermarket stuff, their cars are in the high HP numbers.....There's just so much wrong in what you typed...smh

Last edited:

Sweeping the floor does not count as "competed in motorsports"......"I'm completely supportive of people doing interesting things with cars, such as adding a turbocharger to a model that is not available with one from the factory - I just don't see the point of copying something you can just buy readily. Of course, if you want a turbo 3 sedan, or just want to do this as a hobby, or have any other reason that makes sense to you, go for it! "

....Again NON ENTHUSIAST, your words sound like a total noob to the game...AND if every simpleton thought like you the entire billion dollar aftermarket industry would never exist!.....
(group)...Real car guys will look at this and LOL at you, please stop giving advice.
He has 2 choices:
Buy the parts off a crashed Mazda Speed
Have a shop fab.the necessary parts
You should have told him that from the jump....Why would you say this:

" can't imagine why I would put an aftermarket turbo on a non-turbo Mazda3, instead of just buying a Mazdaspeed3 with its factory turbo."

He obviously has a non turbo car, he wants more power, so you tell him take it back a get the turbo version??......WOW, so many fails in your answer

Last edited:
Sweeping the floor does not count as "competed in motorsports"......"I'm completely supportive of people doing interesting things with cars, such as adding a turbocharger to a model that is not available with one from the factory - I just don't see the point of copying something you can just buy readily. Of course, if you want a turbo 3 sedan, or just want to do this as a hobby, or have any other reason that makes sense to you, go for it! "

....Again NON ENTHUSIAST, your words sound like a total noob to the game...AND if every simpleton thought like you the entire billion dollar aftermarket industry would never exist!.....
(group)...Real car guys will look at this and LOL at you, please stop giving advice.
He has 2 choices:
Buy the parts off a crashed Mazda Speed
Have a shop fab.the necessary parts
You should have told him that from the jump....Why would you say this:

" can't imagine why I would put an aftermarket turbo on a non-turbo Mazda3, instead of just buying a Mazdaspeed3 with its factory turbo."

He obviously has a non turbo car, he wants more power, so you tell him take it back a get the turbo version??......WOW, so many fails in your answer

I agree, Fully.

Sweeping the floor does not count as "competed in motorsports"...
I agree. I find it strange that people make accusations without knowledge, making themselves look like idiots.

...please stop giving advice.
I gave no advice, only discussed the question the original poster raised. Buried in the rant, there are some suggestions; that, by itself, would have been a constructive contribution to the discussion... but piloti3 hasn't been back to the forum in the month since starting this thread, so I suppose it doesn't matter much.

I agree. I find it strange that people make accusations without knowledge, making themselves look like idiots.

I gave no advice, only discussed the question the original poster raised. Buried in the rant, there are some suggestions; that, by itself, would have been a constructive contribution to the discussion... but piloti3 hasn't been back to the forum in the month since starting this thread, so I suppose it doesn't matter much.

Right now you just trying to win a discussion......Like I said before REAL car guys/enthusiast will LOL at you

Seems like this market is under-served for the non-turbo Mazda3. Conversely, I have heard that there is a perception that the Mazda3 market wouldn’t be willing to pay such a system.
Opinions?

The Mazda platform does not have enough interest anymore, It's not hard to do yourself, thousands of individuals have taken the path you would like to go on their own.

Take your car to a performance shop in your area ( do your research on this) tell them you wanna turbo your car, they will know what to do but basically any car can take roughly 8lbs of boost stock. You will need ( just to get started)

1) Manifold ( ram horn, or log style)
2) down pipe
3) turbo
4) intercooler
5) piping
6) Various oil/ water lines/clamps

This will be the GUTS of going from NA to FI

**** This would be a relatively low boost set up**** about 8lbs of boost
You may also be able to swap your ECU from a Mazda speed to your car ( you'll have to research this)
9 out of 10 times Mazda would have used the same internals on a NA set as they did on a FI set up, again you will have to look this up

Last edited:
" I gave no advice, only discussed the question the original poster raised. Buried in the rant, there are some suggestions; that, by itself, would have been a constructive contribution to the discussion... but piloti3 hasn't been back to the forum in the month since starting this thread, so I suppose it doesn't matter much."

This is the problem....YOU GAVE NO ADVICE!!....Basically telling the guy to trade his car in and get a MAZDA SPEED, You my friend are dumb.

Turbo, Piloti3 asked for opinions and that's exactly what Brian gave - his opinion of what he would do if in the same situation. Calling someone "dumb" for giving an opinion is like doing the same for saying they think wrenching all weekend to save $100 is not worth the effort. The same advice is given daily to those who want to swap transmissions. Often, especially with newer vehicles, it IS better to sell your car and buy one with a manual. Of course, if your car is special to you and lots and lots of hours of your time spent making it happen is not a problem, then your opinion will be different than those of others. It has nothing to do with being dumb or intelligent.

Many years ago, I decided to rebuild a 327 engine in a 68 Corvette with the help of a friend. We researched the best parts and upgraded many. For some reason, the rebuilt engine ran hot and never broke in properly, despite taking all the common precautions.
Years later, I was faced with doing the same thing, since the smog laws changed and the cam was too large to pass the new smog tests. I spoke to the owner of a Corvette specialty shop who advised me to swap out the 327 for an HO ZZ3 crate engine. His reasoning? Stick in the ZZ and go fast - no mixing and matching of components with much trial and error, just a factory assembled combo that was good for over 100,000 miles.
He was right. That ZZ was much stronger than the 327 and was much more reliable.

So while you could end up with a killer turbo setup on your own, chances are that the factory already went through numerous trial and error combos to come up with a bulletproof HO engine. Yes, it can be fun if you do the work yourself, but unless a proven kit is used, you end up with more aggravation than it's worth.

Last edited:
Turbo, Piloti3 asked for opinions and that's exactly what Brian gave - his opinion of what he would do if in the same situation. Calling someone "dumb" for giving an opinion is like doing the same for saying they think wrenching all weekend to save $100 is not worth the effort. The same advice is given daily to those who want to swap transmissions. Often, especially with newer vehicles, it IS better to sell your car and buy one with a manual. Of course, if your car is special to you and lots and lots of hours of your time spent making it happen is not a problem, then your opinion will be different than those of others. It has nothing to do with being dumb or intelligent.

Many years ago, I decided to rebuild a 327 engine in a 68 Corvette with the help of a friend. We researched the best parts and upgraded many. For some reason, the rebuilt engine ran hot and never broke in properly, despite taking all the common precautions.
Years later, I was faced with doing the same thing, since the smog laws changed and the cam was too large to pass the new smog tests. I spoke to the owner of a Corvette specialty shop who advised me to swap out the 327 for an HO ZZ3 crate engine. His reasoning? Stick in the ZZ and go fast - no mixing and matching of components with much trial and error, just a factory assembled combo that was good for over 100,000 miles.
He was right. That ZZ was much stronger than the 327 and was much more reliable.

So while you could end up with a killer turbo setup on your own, chances are that the factory already went through numerous trial and error combos to come up with a bulletproof HO engine. Yes, it can be fun if you do the work yourself, but unless a proven kit is used, you end up with more aggravation than it's worth.

Concept, this is why I stooped to his level:

"I agree. I find it strange that people make accusations without knowledge, making themselves look like idiots."

Maybe you missed that, so I just letting you know why....
Ok so maybe you have not been in the Mazda game that long so I understand your point about your 327, but mazdas ( for the last few years) have not exactly been ummm reliable, ie "factory" components break super easy, so the difference between have an experienced shop fab the parts up would in almost all instances be the same or better that the s*** they put in from the factory. I'll give you a simple example, In the Protg it comes with a cast manifold from the factory, If you know anything about cast iron it's tough but, from the factory these manifold crack all the time, people who have their manifolds fabbed have had little to no problems what so ever.

The whole point of this was, I do not understand why someone would deter anyone from even investigating what is involved in turning their NA car to FI
Quote:
"
I can't imagine why I would put an aftermarket turbo on a non-turbo Mazda3, instead of just buying a Mazdaspeed3 with its factory turbo. If most people think the same way, there would be little market for add-on turbo systems"

This was LITERALLY the next answer to the OP's question by that turd guy, I mean c'mon be helpful!! and basically telling the guy to basically turn his car in a get a MAZDA SPEED??? Is that the "best" answer he could come up with?.......Please read and understand where I was coming from.

Obviously the OP knows he could get the Mazda Speed from the factory, He asked about the TriPoint kit, so OBVIOUSLY he's looking into AFTERMARKET kits .. ie he's trying to work with what he's already got, makes sense?

Funny how I don't get this on the E60 forums

Last edited:
anybody running a forced induction system on their mazda3? If so what is your setup?
I had looking into the tri-point engineering's turbo system for the mazda3, but since they are no longer in business.
Seems like this market is under-served for the non-turbo mazda3. Conversely, i have heard that there is a perception that the mazda3 market wouldn’t be willing to pay such a system.
Opinions?

am i the only one that can see the op is already looking to an aftermarket system????
He did not ask about if he should:
A) trade in his car
b) if anyone thinks he should put an aftermarket kit on his car

He basically wants to know WHAT KIT ARE YOU RUNNING!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back