Turn off Nav voice?

Velvety

Anyone figured out how to turn off the turn-by-turn navigation voice? I looked in the Nav manual and the Owner's Manual. Can't find anything in the settings, either.

I want to completely turn off the voice navigation. Muting isn't an option (I've tried setting volume to 0), because it still cuts out the driver's side speakers to play the muted voice directions. I would really like to be able to have nav running without it cutting off my driver's side speakers - just want to listen to my music without interruption!

No cutout if nav volume=0 should be trivial to implement in a software update, so nagging Mazda about it directly might be a good idea.

you can turn voice volume very low, but I believe from experience that it will still lower the volume on the speaker that is next to the driver. i.e. your music will kind of stop coming from your left while the nav will "talk"

Maybe I'm going deaf, but it seems like my Nav voice is turned off.
Nav > Settings > Guidance Settings > Guidance Volume. Turn the 'Command' knob down and the slider/display will go from '3' > '2' > '1', turn one more notch and the display does NOT show '0', but instead the volume slider is automatically deselected. At that point I no longer hear any Nav voice. I tried it with the motor off and my audio muted and I no longer hear the voice.

+1, it's so annoying
Anyone figured out how to turn off the turn-by-turn navigation voice? I looked in the Nav manual and the Owner's Manual. Can't find anything in the settings, either.

I want to completely turn off the voice navigation. Muting isn't an option (I've tried setting volume to 0), because it still cuts out the driver's side speakers to play the muted voice directions. I would really like to be able to have nav running without it cutting off my driver's side speakers - just want to listen to my music without interruption!

... just try, Nav voice is off but it still cut out the driver's side speakers
Nav > Settings > Guidance Settings > Guidance Volume. Turn the 'Command' knob down and the slider/display will go from '3' > '2' > '1', turn one more notch and the display does NOT show '0', but instead the volume slider is automatically deselected. At that point I no longer hear any Nav voice. I tried it with the motor off and my audio muted and I no longer hear the voice.

... just try, Nav voice is off but it still cut out the driver's side speakers

Craptacular. They need to fix that along with the active display that stays up even when it is turned off.

I think I might have figured it out.
I have tried the above and I think the trick is the muting of the audio all together.
I tried the "turn down nav voice the extra notch" but that didn't seem to do it all by itself - I the tried to press the mute audio-button while the nav spoke (or in this case, the sound was faded in the drivers side) and presto... no more fading at any point during that trip.

The only annoyance I have found is that aparrently it resets itself when you stop the car, so you'll have to do it every single time... I haven't tried to just use the mute function, I still go into the volume setting each time and do the above mentioned "trick" too, but maybe the mute-thing is enough.

(The sofware-version is v. 30, I don't know if this works on older versions)

I think I might have figured it out.
I have tried the above and I think the trick is the muting of the audio all together.
I tried the "turn down nav voice the extra notch" but that didn't seem to do it all by itself - I the tried to press the mute audio-button while the nav spoke (or in this case, the sound was faded in the drivers side) and presto... no more fading at any point during that trip.

The only annoyance I have found is that aparrently it resets itself when you stop the car, so you'll have to do it every single time... I haven't tried to just use the mute function, I still go into the volume setting each time and do the above mentioned "trick" too, but maybe the mute-thing is enough.

(The sofware-version is v. 30, I don't know if this works on older versions)

Got my new car for a week now and have plenty of little issues like this one.
Will try your solution and post a feedback.

The bug that mutes the driver's speaker when using the satnav even when satnav volume is 0 seems to have been fixed in v31.

Can others with v31 verify please? Just tried it this morning and I heard no mutes!

The bug that mutes the driver's speaker when using the satnav even when satnav volume is 0 seems to have been fixed in v31.

Can others with v31 verify please? Just tried it this morning and I heard no mutes!

I just had my car updated to v31 yesterday. First thing I tried was the navi and I'm able to mute it now without the driver side speaker cutting out. To mute the navi you have to be on the navi screen then go to settings and turn the volume to 0. Before you can control the navi volume with the volume button/knob as it's speaking but now it can only be controlled under settings. So yeah, v31 solved this issue finally. That was the only thing bugging me with the navi.

How do you update the software version?

I just had my car updated to v31 yesterday. First thing I tried was the navi and I'm able to mute it now without the driver side speaker cutting out. To mute the navi you have to be on the navi screen then go to settings and turn the volume to 0. Before you can control the navi volume with the volume button/knob as it's speaking but now it can only be controlled under settings. So yeah, v31 solved this issue finally. That was the only thing bugging me with the navi.

The guidance voice has been bugging the living heck out of me and preventing me from enjoying it. Thankfully I found this thread. But I need to know how you guys updated the software version because in my car the guidance volume goes down as little as 1 and still cuts off music on the drivers side speaker. Please help. Thank You (yes)

The guidance voice has been bugging the living heck out of me and preventing me from enjoying it. Thankfully I found this thread. But I need to know how you guys updated the software version because in my car the guidance volume goes down as little as 1 and still cuts off music on the drivers side speaker. Please help. Thank You (yes)

Just updated the Mazda OS system Ver. 31 yesterday, now I can mute the navigation, and it won't cut off the music.

tell your dealers that you are having issues with your infotainment system, ... or else they may not update for you.

Just remember that V.31 removes wifi from your car, so decide which is more important to you! I was going to update as I thought it actually corrected the driver-side only muting when the navi voice is on to both sides muting. It doesn't. It only lets you turn off the voice so it doesn't happen at all. Decided not to update as I'd rather have the wifi option.

Last edited:
WiFi works for me on v31.

Really? Mmm. You are the first I've read that still has the wifi option. Most people said it is now gone and only bluetooth is an option under that screen. I'll have to wait on this then and see what the deal is.

Really? Mmm. You are the first I've read that still has the wifi option. Most people said it is now gone and only bluetooth is an option under that screen. I'll have to wait on this then and see what the deal is.

What exactly does Wifi do in the Mazda 3? Is it an alternative to Bluetooth for streaming audio and making phone calls. or is it something altogether different?

Back