What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Picked up my 5 from the shop! It's been there a week getting every single piece of exterior glass replaced. Something etched the hell out of my windows and I finally got around to calling insurance on it. Verdict? They've never seen anything like it and replaced all my glass and are taking the old stuff to a research center. Hooray for being able to see clearly out the windows now! Probably time to wax it and install my new roof rack tomorrow.

Say What?! Got any pictures of that ^^^ Was it like liquid damage (acid rain) or something got tossed on it?

I tried getting pictures but it was wildly difficult to capture. Imagine really bad orange peel paint, but instead of it being paint, it's glass. Whatever it was only affected the glass on the car, too. I'm eager for them to conduct their research and figure out what happened. I'm also super happy I can finally see clearly out of my windows again after a year of putting up with it thinking it was some sort of film on top of the glass that might get better with time.

Today I did an automatic transmission fluid swap on our 2008 Mazda5. I used Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Synthetic. Old fluid had 60K miles on it, looked dark, but didn't smell burnt. Car drives great!

I need to do mine soon, she is starting to hang up a little when the torque converter locks and unlocks. Orange peel on the GLASS!? Damn that is really wierd. I'm dying to hear what caused that.....

Insurance got back to me. GM has a TSB out on the issue, which State Farm thinks is the same thing up with mine:

http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4084

Bulletin No.: 00-08-48-005D

Distortion in Outer Surface of Vehicle Glass

2011 and Prior GM Passenger Cars

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-48-005C (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

Distortion in the outer surface of the windshield glass, door glass or backlite glass may appear after the vehicle has:

- Accumulated some mileage.

- Been frequently washed in automatic car washes, particularly “touchless” car washes.

This distortion may look like a subtle orange peel pattern, or may look like a drip or sag etched into the surface of the glass.

Some car wash solutions contain a buffered solution of hydrofluoric acid which is used to clean the glass. This should not cause a problem if used in the correct concentration.

However, if not used correctly, hydrofluoric acid will attack the glass, and over time, will cause visual distortion in the outer surface of the glass which cannot be removed by scraping or polishing.

If this condition is suspected, look at the area of the windshield under the wipers or below the belt seal on the side glass.
The area of the glass below the wipers or belt seal will not be affected and what looks like a drip or sag may be apparent at the edge of the wiper or belt seal.
You may also see a line on the glass where the wiper blade or the belt seal contacts the glass.

Important

The repair will require replacing the affected glass and is not a result of a defect in material or workmanship. Therefore, is not covered by New Vehicle Warranty.

Got the new licence plates on finally. Zip tied the front (since i have to have one now and am looking for other options that dont involve drilling) and could not remove the rear. Wife took it to a local ford dealer who spent 40 minutes doing who knows what but got the old one off and the new one put on. it looks like this one.

lp_chickadee.jpg

I scored a used OEM roof rack off ebay for $150. Picked it up 30 mins from my home. I really want to re-finish the feet, any suggestions? I wanted to try bedliner paint but I heard it would peel too easily. The crossbars have a few scuffs but I don't plan to do anything to them as the color is still good.
$T2eC16FHJHoE9n3Kd48YBRnkyiKheg~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16NHJGIFFoTmFfWzBRnky4BjRg~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16dHJF4FFklhtNh(BRnky)Br4g~~60_57.JPG

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you could have picked up a new one from "lilbit" (username) on eBay for about $45 more.

I scored a used OEM roof rack off ebay for $150. Picked it up 30 mins from my home. I really want to re-finish the feet, any suggestions? I wanted to try bedliner paint but I heard it would peel too easily. The crossbars have a few scuffs but I don't plan to do anything to them as the color is still good.

Couldn't find that username (lilbit) on ebay.
The seller puts them up every now and then. Granted, it will come a point when he/she will run out of stock.

If it makes you feel any better, the lower price is only for the 2nd gen rack. The 1st gen racks has always and still does cost more. It is not as slightly now has as much carrying capacity but the internal mounting mechanism is much better (all integrated). More concernig, I don't see the wind diffusers on yours, which will suck with noise.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you could have picked up a new one from "lilbit" (username) on eBay for about $45 more.

I am aware that lilbit09012002 also sells these on ebay, though he had none for sale at the time I purchased mine. But if he had, I still would have purchased the one I did because of its price, its remaining functionality, and its overall condition, but mostly the price!!! Thanks for mentioning lilbit though, so other members will know where to look for a lower priced alternative to the dealership. Its still a much much better deal than what Mazda is asking.

If it makes you feel any better, the lower price is only for the 2nd gen rack. The 1st gen racks has always and still does cost more. It is not as slightly now has as much carrying capacity but the internal mounting mechanism is much better (all integrated). More concerning, I don't see the wind diffusers on yours, which will suck with noise.
I like the look of the 1st gen rack. I found the diffusers online already but I'm not in a hurry for them... ...yet

Even better! How about a part number? CG36-V3-84E
This is a great find but damn that is expensive!...

Put the canister adapter on the ’08 and did an oil change. Almost had a Darwin moment. I forgot to close off the fumoto valve and completely wasted a whole bottle of synthetic oil –went right out into the dump bottle… Oh, for those who use canister oil filters, I recommend the Ford Motocraft oil filters (USA made) for the Focus available at Walmart for <$4. Yes, it fits the Mz5 perfectly. I suspect this is the same OEM Mazda filter. Aftermarket filters are the same for both cars. I guess b/c it has a Ford logo on it, it is only meant for Ford.

Back