What did you pay for your CX-5?

Not all dealers are on the Costco plan, but it's a good way to buy a CX5 if your dealer is on that list. Keep in mind that there isn't a lot of markup from invoice to msrp, but right now anyway, $300 over invoice is a good deal on a CX5.

What kind of experience has anyone had using other buying services? I have access to AutoSMART through my credit union and AAA has a program that is "powered" by TrueCar. Has anyone else used either of these?

Some report good experiences with Costco. I used ConsumerReports and really liked it, gave me a good starting place and I knew what the invoice, etc was to start negotiation with.

What kind of experience has anyone had using other buying services? I have access to AutoSMART through my credit union and AAA has a program that is "powered" by TrueCar. Has anyone else used either of these?

I think the TrueCar/Zag cost thing just depends on what your closest dealers are offering as far as price reductions. I used USAA which uses Zag and the three dealers that came up had quite a difference in prices they were asking. One was only offering $200 off and another was offering at invoice. Up to that week I purchased, the prices varied but the most usually was closer to $200 off sticker. I was going to use Costco and had already talked to the dealer when I checked USAA again and got a better price (which they matched). I would definitely check any programs you can to see if there are differences in prices.

P.S. Some dealers will take Costco/Zag pricing even if they aren't one of those dealers, so if the vehicle you want is at another dealer, ask them. I had two dealers who weren't (one wasn't Costco, another wasn't Zag) and both said they'd match the price, then one backed out when the next shipment came in and said they weren't offering anything other than sticker price.

Last edited:
Picked up a Silver Touring with no options except roof rack. Tried to get a rear cargo cover included but they wouldn't budge. Got it for $300 off sticker. Includes a 10yr/100K powertrain warranty. They bought/traded the car from another dealer 125 miles away and did not charge me for pickup. I think it was a reasonable deal.

There's also CarWoo . They get dealers to bid against each other in an anonymous auction. If I didn't have the Mazda S-Plan, I would've given this a shot. They do charge upfront, BTW

$43k?! I don't think the CX is worth $30k, let alone $40+! What do BMW's go for up there??
For a BMW X6 SUV, cheapest in the range is around $73K list price. The cheapest Ford Kuga SUV is around $34K list. Bear in mind that neither of these will have anywhere near the spec of the CX-5 (e.g. adding navigation to the Kuga adds $2K, parking sensors another $700).

We pay a lot for cars here, not helped by the 20% purchase tax. And running costs aren't cheap either, diesel is around $8 a gallon and the first year road tax for the CX-5 is around $275.

Last edited:
Current selling price for CX-5

purchased mine on 6/17 in Northern CA. Liquid silver sport, manual transmission. $21,490 invoice (w/destination fee) with rear bumper guard, cargo mat, floor mats, and wheel locks at no extra charge. Paid about $650 additional for cargo cover & had dealer install fog lights.

The vehicle I bought was on their lot for less than a week. There was also a Metro Gray manual when I went in to buy. Last weekend I went in & picked it up after the fog lights were installed & the Metro Gray is already gone too!

purchased mine on 6/17 in Northern CA. Liquid silver sport, manual transmission. $21,490 invoice (w/destination fee) with rear bumper guard, cargo mat, floor mats, and wheel locks at no extra charge. Paid about $650 additional for cargo cover & had dealer install fog lights.

The vehicle I bought was on their lot for less than a week. There was also a Metro Gray manual when I went in to buy. Last weekend I went in & picked it up after the fog lights were installed & the Metro Gray is already gone too!

So you paid invoice? Pretty good with all the accessories...Which dealer was this and did you go through any Costco/Truecar program?

What's your dealer and car salesman?

Just picked up a stormy blue FWD touring with tech/bose pkgs for invoice! $26,066 + TTL ($28175 OTD in CA.). I had been checking Mazdausa.com for this configuration for weeks in either stormy blue or zeal red. I originally discounted the dark blue because of the sand interior, but then saw it and actually liked the dark/light mix. My first Mazda and my first light interior. I started with Costco pricing that was $400 over invoice, then checked with USAA pricing (it randomly changes). Another dealer showed their price for USAA at invoice and the dealer who had the stormy blue agreed to match it, they weren't even an USAA/Zag dealer!

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the info on this site, I've been reading it weekly to keep up to date.

So you paid invoice? Pretty good with all the accessories...Which dealer was this and did you go through any Costco/Truecar program?

Whoops! I paid MSRP (not invoice) of $21,490. And that was from the dealer in Dublin, CA.

Heh, I'm the one who picked up the Metro Gray Sport 6MT from Dublin last week!

Whoops! I paid MSRP (not invoice) of $21,490. And that was from the dealer in Dublin, CA.

I live in Dublin. The dealership is 1/2 mile from my place. I did 3 test drives there but did not like the service from the sales guys there. I ended up buying from Elk Grove Mazda and had a pleasant experience every step. Their standard internet price is $300 off MSRP and every car includes a 10yr/100K powertrain warranty.

But the fact you got the accessories is still pretty good. I was trying to get a rear cargo cover thrown in but they wouldn't budge.

In the Toronto area. Deal is not finalized but probably will be this weekend.

It's the GX (or "Sport" in the USA) with 6-spd manual. It's as basic as they come, including the steel wheels (to be replaced soon with after-market). With all taxes and fees it works out to $28K. That's ~$550 off the MSRP and includes tint for ~$200. We are also getting the cargo cover (~$250) included at no-charge.

The freight and PDI at $1895 and taxes of 13% (on-top of everything, even the damn freight) are really killing the total price. The discounted price of the car prior to any fees/taxes works out to ~$22,450.

In the Toronto area. Deal is not finalized but probably will be this weekend.

It's the GX (or "Sport" in the USA) with 6-spd manual. It's as basic as they come, including the steel wheels (to be replaced soon with after-market). With all taxes and fees it works out to $28K. That's ~$550 off the MSRP and includes tint for ~$200. We are also getting the cargo cover (~$250) included at no-charge.

The freight and PDI at $1895 and taxes of 13% (on-top of everything, even the damn freight) are really killing the total price. The discounted price of the car prior to any fees/taxes works out to ~$22,450.

I know right... same stuff in Quebec (but worse).
I'm so jealous of people in Alberta and their 5% sales tax :p

I asked in the picture thread what the monochrome radio looked like, is it the same as the color but black and white?

I know right... same stuff in Quebec (but worse).
I'm so jealous of people in Alberta and their 5% sales tax :p

I asked in the picture thread what the monochrome radio looked like, is it the same as the color but black and white?

I think the display is redish colour and the screen is much narrower than the upper model. I grabbed this off the net and think it's what I'll be getting. 2013-Mazda-CX-5-Sport-dashboard.jpg

My CX-5, I bought in Ontario, included:

GS FWD
Pearl White Colour
Wheel Locks
Cargo Cover
7 Yr / 160,000 km Extended Warranty

After taxes, fees and licensing was $34154. The purchase agreement shows me at a $2600 discount from MSRP, but the extended warranty was listed as $100 below retail and the cargo cover was free which would mean my real discount was almost $3K.

I traded in my 2003 Protege5 and got $2000 cash back for it as well. So my real discount of ~$3K is probably reduced by $1.5K since the Dealership could probably sell my Protege5 for ~$3.5K. I could have gotten a better deal if I had squeezed them some more, but I was happy with the deal regardless. The best deals are where everyone walks away happy. Of course, I turned down their up sell offers such as undercoating, rust proofing, VIN etching, etc. and i refused to accept any additional costs such as Admin fees.

I waited until there was a sale on at a Dealership - the best is when they advertise on the Radio or T.V. or newspaper because they've probably spent $10K and have to recoup that expense by hitting sales targets so they'll be more motivated to reduce the price to make the sale. this usually happens when they need to clear out inventory like the end of the month/quarter/first half/year. Dealerships try to make you feel like they're doing you a favour by giving any discount, but you can always negotiate a better deal if you reverse it and make them feel like you're doing them a favour (which is the truth).

Next time I buy a car, instead of asking for a discount from the MSRP, i'm simply going to demand that they give me the full retail value of my trade-in (i.e. whatever the car is going on sale for at the time on auto trader) plus at least $2K more. This will avoid the hassle of negotiating down from MSRP, instead it'll force the Dealerships to try to negotiate up from my offer (and of course, I don't move from my offer).

Last edited:
Back