Toyota puts a price to a more 'sinister' Scion tC

:
2006 Mazda Speed6
tcsidex-wide-community.jpg

After a three year absence of new product, Toyota's Scion division is getting a new tC coupe that slightly better, slightly more powerful and slightly more expensive.

The tC gets a more sinister front look
scionfrontx-inset-community.jpg

By Scott Dukes Photography
The new tC, which goes on sale in October, is being priced at $18,275 with the six-speed manual transmission and $19,275 for the six-speed automatic before destination charges. The price is a boost from today's base of $17,820.

But it's more car. While the length is the same, the width is increased by 1.6 inches. The engine goes from 2.4 liter to 2.5 liter, with a 19 horsepower increase to a peppy 180. Yet gas mileage is better:

It means an increasse of 3 miles per gallon in the city and 4 mpg better on the highway on the manual transmission model. Gas mileage is better but not quite as good on the automatic. Total now for the manual is 23 mpg in the city, 31 mpg on the highway.

The standard wheel is now an 18-inch, up an inch from this year's model. Larger wheels and new styling are aimed at giving the tC a more masculine, sinister look, executives say. In fact, the car was designed to resemble a full-face motorcycle helmet with the windshield taking the place of the visor. The goal was to stay close to the car's urban roots.

Yet they also say they were careful not to mess up a good thing: tC represents about 40% of Scion's overall sales, the most of any of its three models.

its going to start pricing itself outta the game...btw...the new one looks like ASS!

haha, what a joke...that front end doesn't look the least bit sinister!!!

you want sinister? THIS is sinister:

modp_0910_04_o+2008_mitsubishi_evo_x_and_2008_subaru_impreza_sti+sti.jpg

can you imagine what your reaction would be if you suddenly found that front end glaring at you in your rearview mirror?

Last edited:
i like them both for the fact that they have toyota motors, and interiors are nicely designed, and the car is cheap. msp's were more money with less hp..

haha, what a joke...that front end doesn't look the least bit sinister!!!

you want sinister? THIS is sinister:

modp_0910_04_o+2008_mitsubishi_evo_x_and_2008_subaru_impreza_sti+sti.jpg

can you imagine what your reaction would be if you suddenly found that front end glaring at you in your rearview mirror?

I see what you mean but those front's aren't factory, either.

Seriously its not a bad car for the price/hp/milage, and for a coupe the rear of these is very impressive for space. I'm not buying one, but lots of people will.

Only one thing to add here....

Chick car! (evil)

Ok, 2 things... The old body style looked better.

The fiance wants one but I think she is enjoying her 4 door sedan now and not missing having 2 doors at all. I too like the older scion more, but love the 180 hp on the new one.

I'm all set. I bet I'll be seeing alot of gay boys driving them around here in a few months.

01sciontcny2010live.jpg

02sciontcny2010live.jpg

03sciontcny2010live.jpg

04sciontcny2010live.jpg

05sciontcny2010live.jpg

06sciontcny2010live.jpg

07sciontcny2010live.jpg

11sciontcny2010live.jpg

12sciontcny2010live.jpg

14sciontcny2010live.jpg

15sciontcny2010live.jpg

16sciontcny2010live.jpg

17sciontcny2010live.jpg

The big reveal for Scion at the 2010 New York Auto Show is staring you square in the face. Meet the 2011 tC. Scion describes the car as defining "refined aggression." They called it, "masculine," too. Even though the new car borrows fairly heavily from the 2006 Fuse concept (not to mention the outgoing tC), our collective jury is still out on the refined aggression part. But we'll go ahead and agree that the new model does indeed look more masculine, which is good for Scion, as the tC demographic not only skews young (most youthful in the industry it turns out), but very male as well.

As for what's new, the engine is now a 2.5-liter I-4, up from 2.4 liters. Power is up as well. The new tC ships with a respectable 180 horsepower and 173 pound-feet of torque. That's plus 19 ponies and 11 pound feet. The suspension is now "sport tuned" and the power steering is electronic, which Scion assured us better allows the engineers to dial in more steering feel. Uh-huh.

The new tC also gets better gas mileage than the previous car (no word yet on exactly how much better) and comes with two new transmissions. There's a six-speed automatic that features sequential-shift (Scion-speak for a manual shift mode) as well asa six-speed manual that promises more refined shifting than the old five-speed.

Other goodies include 18-inch wheels and larger tires, bigger brake rotors (Scion claimed 16-inch rotors front and back during the press conference, but that's... insane) and a flat-bottom steering wheel. The tC has been our favorite Scion ever since Scion replaced the fist-gen xB with the fatter second-gen model. As such, it looks as if we have a new
favorite.

[autoblog]

kinda looks like a cobalt/sebring. I have never liked the looks of any scion's and I think this is the worst one yet.

But they will sell tons to fanboys who will do some "custom" stuff at the dealer than go around and try to race everyone. I am glad toyota still has some performance thinking in their brand but its not a good looking car

Back