Holy cow, just drove a speed6

Well the only Mazdaspeed dealer near me has 1 2007 speed6 left (sport model) marked down to 22k, brand new. I just bought a CX-7 sport in July its only got 3k miles on it, but I put a bunch down. I think I'm gonna go back and see how much they give me for the CX-7, if they'll give me ~22k I can almost do a straight swap and have the exact same payments as my CX-7.

The speed6 was a whole other beast than the CX-7. While the turbo lag is there, that 4cyl can push along the 6 A LOT better than it can the CX-7. So even under 3k rpms in the speed6 I felt like it was still moving a lot faster than the 7.

And while I've read the upper rpm power is better, man, to feel it was incredible. I realized how much upper power the CX-7 loses.

Now just to talk with the wife tonight.... She is really adverse to getting a manual. She doesn't think she can drive them because of medical conditions with her leg that would use the clutch.

Last edited:
try driving a speed3 before making your decision...with your luck you'll buy the speed6 and then a few months later drive the speed3 and realize it is even quicker!

would you like me to give you a match so you can burn through more money.

I would love one. I couldn't buy a speed6 when we got the CX-7. 1) for the reason I mentioned above. 2) Because there is only one Mazdaspeed dealer here and they wouldn't budge on the price back in July.

i don't want something as small as the speed3. I like my midsize cars and above. My wife drives a Vibe, and while it has pluses - its just too small for me.

speed3 isnt small at all.. its just that if you'd like awd better than fwd or fwd better... depends what you like

The Speed3 isn't small unless you are fitting 4 grown adults consistently in your car. The outside dimensions lie about its inside dimensions.

For small trips (like business lunches), you can comfortably fit 4 to 5 people in the car no problem.

try driving a speed3 before making your decision...with your luck you'll buy the speed6 and then a few months later drive the speed3 and realize it is even quicker!

After burning the front tires off the speed3...and the brutal torque steer....you might wanna reconsider your quote that the speed3 is quicker...a speed6 with all wheel drive and a CAI, TBV and 3 inch exhaust will 'roast' a speed3....and all without 'roasting' the front tires...

but then those speed3 guys come back and say well not from a roll. to each his own.

Wife has a vibe? Get yourself the MS6, give her the CX-7. Done deal, everybody's happy. You'll lose your ass on the CX-7 in a trade anyway.

but then those speed3 guys come back and say well not from a roll. to each his own.

but that's just it! how often are we REALLY layin strips when the light turns green? If you're that type of guy... you probably belong in a Mustang or something. In addition to possibly damaging your drivetrain, you're obviously destroying your tires.

Now from a roll... that's the best of both worlds. You get all the thrills without feeling as if you're beating on a car that's costing you an arm and a leg.

After burning the front tires off the speed3...and the brutal torque steer....you might wanna reconsider your quote that the speed3 is quicker...a speed6 with all wheel drive and a CAI, TBV and 3 inch exhaust will 'roast' a speed3....and all without 'roasting' the front tires...

LOL I guess TS is only prevalant (or a factor) when you're punching it off the line... Since I rarely (if ever) do that, it's yet to be an issue.

As far as which car is quicker... you can't compare one with a ton of mods to the other in stock form. clearly that's ridiculous. stock vs stock, I believe the MS6 is actually quicker to 60 (like that means anything) but in reality, after driving both back to back, the MS3 FEELS faster... by a lot. and that's what should matter most.

The MS6 definitely looks better though. In the end, it all depends on what your needs are. One thing's for sure though... don't let the fwd biased awd system in the MS6 be the deciding factor.

LOL I guess TS is only prevalant (or a factor) when you're punching it off the line... Since I rarely (if ever) do that, it's yet to be an issue.

As far as which car is quicker... you can't compare one with a ton of mods to the other in stock form. clearly that's ridiculous. stock vs stock, I believe the MS6 is actually quicker to 60 (like that means anything) but in reality, after driving both back to back, the MS3 FEELS faster... by a lot. and that's what should matter most.

The MS6 definitely looks better though. In the end, it all depends on what your needs are. One thing's for sure though... don't let the fwd biased awd system in the MS6 be the deciding factor.

Try driving a really modded MS3 I've driven a few I've worked on and had a hand full punching it in even 3rd gear.

but that's just it! how often are we REALLY layin strips when the light turns green? If you're that type of guy... you probably belong in a Mustang or something. In addition to possibly damaging your drivetrain, you're obviously destroying your tires.

Now from a roll... that's the best of both worlds. You get all the thrills without feeling as if you're beating on a car that's costing you an arm and a leg.

Real racing isn't from a roll & you lose the hole shot advantage we get with our AWD, smart guy.

So what matters is what FEELS faster? Wow, are you a ricer? LOL!

I'll take my slow feeling MS6 vs a wrong wheel drive MS3, thanks.

MS3 traps higher and has a better E.T. given the same mods (so far.)

The robust drivetrain and equal-length halfshafts are good for more then what has been already proven so far.

I really wish the MS3 was RWD or maybe AWD, but that simply isn't the case. An MS6 is a great all around tourer, and certainly much more predictable then a twitchy FWD car like the MS3 (relatively speaking) but if you're after all-out power and speed then the MS3 is the car to beat. All it needs is slicks or at least some sticky tires, and the entire AWD advantage evaporates.

I'm 100% for any car that has this engine though, whichever way you want to drive it to the wheels.

Back