HOW TO: Install TRZ DogBone Rear MotorMount

ZooMIN3

:
Whip:01 Ford Focus;08 Black Mica MS3GT
I've searched, and could only come up with the how to EPOXY ones rear motor mount, and haven't come across one how to on the rear motor mount.
If I over looked it, and posted another how to, bite me... lol j/k

This install was a breeze; took at least 15 minutes to get it in once you have your car on jackstands. So easy, a caveman can do it!!!

On with the install.

Tools You'll Need:
Ratchet
17mm socket
Jackstands
Floor jack
wheel chocks
Lock-Tite
20-30 minutes of nothing important to do! lol
Optional:
Mechanix Gloves
Eyeball Protector READ: Goggles

Last Minute Info:
Torque Specs: 65-80ftlbs Thanks to redrocketz at ProtegeGarage for the info! (headbang)

On with the install.... for real this time!

First, you'll need to chock your wheels in the rear. SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT
Don't mind the brake dust, I haven't washed my car yet.....(hand)
DSCF3283.jpg

Next you'll want to get your car up on jackstands, do that to both sides as pictured here... you'll need the ground clearance to get underneath your car if you're wondering why. (yes)
DSCF3284.jpg

After that, you'll need to crawl underneath, with your ratcheting tool, and socket in hand... and undo this bolt,
DSCF3289.jpg

DSCF3291.jpg

DSCF3294.jpg

then undo this next bolt.
DSCF3293.jpg

Pop them out, and voila, you're halfway finished with the uninstall of the stock mount.

Don't worry about supporting the engine, or the tranny portion where the mount is attached to. The engine will not fall from the mount, I've checked, I even used my floor jack to make sure it doesn't fall when I took out both of the bolts that held the mount in place. I moved the jack when I was pretty sure it wouldn't fall on my grape, so for that added insurance, use it; then when you're sure it won't fall; you can move it. (You can skip this part altogether if you want, the using of the floor jack to hold the engine up.) I will not be held liable if your engine falls and makes a pancake out of your head though....)

Ok, now that you have the bolts removed, you'll want to pull the tranny towards the front of the car as much as it'll go, while pulling on the mount at the SAME time, yank it out of its perch.
DSCF3305.jpg

(same pic used further below since my camera died here..got fresh batteries now though!)

Pull the mount at a downward angle, maybe 45 degree angle.... or somewhere along those lines, and wiggle it out.... be careful, don't pinch a finger or anything. This is where the mechanix gloves come in handy, so you don't get all banged up. lol
DSCF3296.jpg

Here are the mounts side by side. Nice, eh?
DSCF3300.jpg

Ok, on with the show.

Remember when you pulled that mount out? The perch where the STOCK motor mount sat will be the starting point of inserting the TRZ Dog Bone mount.

First, you'll want to insert the mount ALL THE way into the perch. That'll give you enough clearance to push the rest of the mount into position where the bolts will be inserted into. I'm pointing at it here, it's hard to see since its all black and dark in there, but you'll see it when you're under your car.
DSCF3307.jpg

See the way I'm pointing? That's the direction you'll want to pull the tranny in order to get the DogBone in there with enough clearance.
DSCF3305.jpg

Now pull.
DSCF3304.jpg

And you should have enough clearance to feed the mount into position here.
DSCF3302.jpg

almost in.
DSCF3310.jpg

There, now it'll go in perfectly. Good job!
DSCF3306.jpg

Now once you have the mount in; this is where you'll want to put lock-tite on your bolts before inserting them back into their resting place.

If you look on the bolts when you took them off, you'll see some risidue where "lock-tite" was put on from the factory. I just cleaned off what I could, and put on some new lock-tite in those areas. Then insert, and tighten. Like so.
DSCF3311.jpg

With fresh lock-tite:
DSCF3313.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what the torque specs are for this bolt, but I tightened it as tight as it was when I took them off. You'll be able to figure this out on your own when you do this.

Here is the finished install!! If you made it this far, congraulations!!!

DSCF3314.jpg

DSCF3315.jpg

The last step is to clean up, and take your car off its jacks.... don't forget the wheel chocks when you back up!! lol

Take your ride for a spin, and enjoy the new found torque that was lost with the stock motor mount!!!(headbang)

Hope this helps anyone else who was wondering if this is easy, or what not.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being hard, I rate this a 0, 0 being So easy, a caveman can do it. lol

If I forgot anything, or anyone have any questions, let me know!! I'll be posting another post soon on how the ride is.... By the way, I have the stiffest mount offered by TRZ....lol

-J

Last edited:
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being hard, I rate this a 0, 0 being So easy, a caveman can do it. lol
HAHA! Nice writeup, thanks a ton! (My mount, the softer TRZ dogbone, just came today.)

Thanks, guys! Hope it helps you out Hirudin.

By the way Ken, if you want; you can print out these steps, and send them out with each Dog Bone you send out! lol or just direct them to this post lol

-J

Last edited:
Great install!

Dumb questions:

1) Is this the mount that required the recall?
2) Does anyone know the correct torque wrench setting?
3) Has anyone rechecked theirs to see if the delrin cracked or bolts got loosened? I would think that once the delrin has settled, the bolt might need to be tightened.
4) What effect does it have on the other mounts, if any?

Thanks in advance!

Great install!

Dumb questions:

1) Is this the mount that required the recall?
2) Does anyone know the correct torque wrench setting?
3) Has anyone rechecked theirs to see if the delrin cracked or bolts got loosened? I would think that once the delrin has settled, the bolt might need to be tightened.
4) What effect does it have on the other mounts, if any?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the props. :)

As for your questions, there's no such thing as dumb questions. lol

1) I believe the motor mount recall was for the one under the battery box.
2) I wish I knew, "search" is useless..... I just guesstimated.
3) I'll be doing that undercarriage check next weekend, maybe a good week wil be enough to let things settle.
4) I'd imagine it doesn't put much stress on the other mounts since it holds the motor pretty much still just about. Granted there are vibrations when starting, and downshifting. Regular driving doesn't seem to be affected however. I could be wrong though. Let's hope not! (boom06)

Give me a few, and I'll post some info under my other link with the reviews so far.

-J

Last edited:
No the recall was on the other side of the car. Mazda Had pictures of the break. After blah blah date ther is no recall. They said they did mine but I can't see any deferents or dot on the new 1

No the recall was on the other side of the car. Mazda Had pictures of the break. After blah blah date ther is no recall. They said they did mine but I can't see any deferents or dot on the new 1

w3rd. thanks for the clarifaction. :)

So I also just got done putting in my delrin TRZ....

I dunno man, mine is sort of making some clunking noises in addition to vibrations, I'm not too happy about that. Maybe I didn't tighten things as much as I should have, or switched the bolts around or something.

I'm gonna get back under there and see if I can get it fixed up, but otherwise I think this thing might only be going on during track days :(

I dunno man, mine is sort of making some clunking noises in addition to vibrations, I'm not too happy about that. Maybe I didn't tighten things as much as I should have, or switched the bolts around or something.

I'm gonna get back under there and see if I can get it fixed up, but otherwise I think this thing might only be going on during track days :(

turn it over. :)

Your's make clunking noise at start up, and shifting into first?

I'm sure it'll gradually decrease as you drive more with it installed. I don't hear that clunking noise much anymore, just barely when I turn on my car. It'll just vibrate a tad when I shift into first. If anything, do the epoxy mod with your stock mount, and like you said; throw on the delrin when you hit the tracks. As for mine, I'm happy with it.

-J

well you need to torque the thing to between 65-80 ft/lbs when installing it. I would check that first if you have any other problems please feel free to call us
(847) 247-5090 (10-8 central)

Nice write up!!!

I hope you washed your car after the install kekekekekeeee

also, as for the torque setting, judging by the hardware, I'd say the torque is not overly critical. The tendency would be to over tighten, and since there is locktite on the bolts, you really don't need to flex your huge manly muscles on this one. as long as you're nice and snug and tight, you're fine. no need to break out the torque wrench. that's for clutches and head bolts and stuff that actually needs to be on spec with tension.

my two cents

thanks dude!

oh yeah, i def. washed my car!! it's black mica again, and not charcoal colored.. lol

no problem. I spun wrenches for a land rover dealership for a while, and the only thing we really torqued down to spec were the wheels and the occasional "more in depth" job. if we weren't going deep, you get to the point where you can gauge just about all of the bolts. even the plugs came with crush washers and you could feel when they were tightened down properly. Like I said, overtightening is usually the problem, so as long as you don't go nuts, everything should be gravy. I'm sure when I start modding the speed, I'll be making many threads like this. again, good job on the explanation and the plethora of pictures. you can never have too many!

lol i agree with the pix!! i hope to read up on your installs soon!

perhaps a turbo upgrade or something? lol

Thanks for the write up ZooMIN! I should be getting my mount in about a week so I'll definitely be using your guide.

Thanks for the write up ZooMIN! I should be getting my mount in about a week so I'll definitely be using your guide.

cool!! if you need help, let me know, i can help you install...you'd just have to drive down to miramar from escondido...lol a few beers, and we'd be good to go! lol

-J

cool!! if you need help, let me know, i can help you install...you'd just have to drive down to miramar from escondido...lol a few beers, and we'd be good to go! lol

-J

Thanks man, I appreciate it. But it looks so damn easy that I'll probably just knock it out at home. But maybe the next mod I'll have to stop by ;) There's also Ballast Point Brewery right near you so I can stop by and get some of the good s*** as well :)

Back