For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

...Do you think it is reasonable to have a transmission issue on 84K miles in? ...
Well sure. It's a machine. They are not perfect and parts and components fail from time to time. Maybe something fails at 300 miles or 300,000 but failures DO happen no matter how well engineered and manufactured a product is. Such is life. Just because failures happen doesn't mean a manufacturer doesn't care about your safety or about the reliability of their product.

I have several Mazdas and fully anticipate them to last 10+ years and several hundred thousand miles each with little to no major issues. Mazda has made no claim to that effect but history has shown me that Mazda makes reliable vehicles. You likely felt the same. It doesn't mean that a costly repair can't or won't happen but it's not likely.

You have to realize that of over a quarter million (253691 according to the interwebs) 2013 CX5's sold (worldwide) that a small number will have failures. The older the vehicle gets with both age and usage the more chances are of a problem occuring, components failing. That's why they loose value because there is more risk to owning/operating an older vehicle. You are owning/operating an older vehicle.

I don't really see the point of your post Miss Regina 🤷‍♂️ other than venting your "feels" about your perception of Mazda mistreating you by only agreeing to cover 62% of an out of warranty repair that they have no obligation to pay any of.

IMHO, Mazda IS taking very good care of you. Above and beyond what they're required to. You should stop with the drama and blasting of Mazda and get your car repaired for the low cost of $750. If that's the only non maintenance repair you've had in 9 years of ownership of a pre-owned purchase, I'd call that a win!

I get it, nobody likes to deal with car breakdowns and repairs but they do happen.

^said it better than I could have. I wouldn’t define the issue on whether or not it’s reasonable, but it’s rather unfortunate.

Last edited:
Hello!
I own a Mazda CX5 2013 touring 4 CYL, 2.0L, Skyactive that has 83K miles on it (San Diego, CA).

I bought this car in 2015, it had about 16K miles on it, directly from the Mazda Dealership with an expectation that this is a safe car and that it will drive at least 200K. However, about 2 weeks ago while I was driving, I lost control over my car. The console warning lights came on (same as mentioned above), I lost a control of my car before it stopped moving in the middle of the street. This created a very dangerous situation where I could have hit somebody or hurt myself and my passengers.

⋯ Like I said in my post, this issue has occured at 5K, 18K, 27K and now 84K miles on the car, it does not seem to relate to the car's age and milage but rather manufacturing problem begin with which left drivers in a dangerous condition.
I guess I got confused here. You bought the CX-5 with 16K miles on it, yet you have experienced the problem at 5K、18K、27K、and now 84K miles? Did you report the same problem at earlier miles to the Mazda dealer? If you did, I’d believe Mazda should have obligation to fix the problem for you.

I guess I got confused here. You bought the CX-5 with 16K miles on it, yet you have experienced the problem at 5K、18K、27K、and now 84K miles? Did you report the same problem at earlier miles to the Mazda dealer? If you did, I’d believe Mazda should have obligation to fix the problem for you.
Good question. I assumed those mileages were for other cars reported under this thread. Check their post and that’s how I read it, problems reported for their same model year at various miles but not their vehicle specifically.

Back