Experience Running CX-90 Turbo S With US 87 Octane?

That’s interesting, because (on paper at least) the PHEV only gains a 4hp gain from 93, and i don’t believe the skyactiv 4 cylinders are known from benefitting from high octane fuel.

The premium fuel must provide benefits lower in the powerband then, which wouldn’t show in the HP rating. Maybe this 4 cylinder is a different engine than the 2.5 NA found in the rest of the mazda lineup.

That is good as the CX-90 needs some help in the everyday 20-40 30-50 jaunts.

As a CX-9 owner I've switched to 93 (0.02 cent higher than 91 in WNY) from 87 a thousand miles and noticed about ~10% better MPG. I mostly drive city, so from 18.5 to 20.5 combined now. Biggest difference is what I perceive a smoother power delivery with even in 2k-3.5k range without any "roughness". If I drove mostly highway miles maybe I would stick with 87. There is price to happiness. This could all be placebo effect. But I would think the same would apply to 3.3 inline 6. But of course it would be interesting to hear from CX-90 Turbo S owners. Cheers.

As a CX-9 owner I've switched to 93 (0.02 cent higher than 91 in WNY) from 87 a thousand miles and noticed about ~10% better MPG. Biggest difference is what I perceive a smoother power delivery with even in 2k-3.5k range without any "roughness".
Yep, I've found the same, even though my 2.5L NA runs on 87 only. Nearly 15% improvement in MPG, and far smoother operation, particular below 2000rpm, which is virtually the only part of the rev range this drivetrain wants to be in.

Fast forward to getting fully tuned on 91 octane, I am averaging even better fuel economy, 40mpg+ consistently, with, not to mention, considerably more torque, and at a lower RPM.

Back