Class action settlement reached for defective exhaust valve seals/oil burning on 2021 CX-5, CX-9 2.5T etc

Great catch . . .
The notice says the remedy is available right now. The settlement has occurred meaning all parties agreed and it's just a formality that has to be ruled on by a court and made fact that all parties have agreed. See notice:

Attachments

• 20240521_145809.jpg
    20240521_145809.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 56
Has anyone tried walking into a dealership and asking them? I don't have time this week but I just might next week. Ask them face to face what the deal is.

Hopefully they next address the 2019 CX-5 Turbo with the cracking head issue. Though I imagine the fix for that will cost far more per vehicle.

Hopefully they next address the 2019 CX-5 Turbo with the cracking head issue. Though I imagine the fix for that will cost far more per vehicle.
Actually it isn’t just the CX-5, it’s those 2.5T’s used on the CX-9 since 2016 MY started to expose the head cracking problem after 3 ~ 4 years. Mazda6 has the 2.5T too which of course suffered the same problem.

The fix to replace the cracked head actually is not much higher than replacing the exhaust valve stem seals as both jobs need to remove the head with similar labor cost. Mazda did develop a special tool only for the 2.5T to replace the valve stem seals without head removal which greatly reduced labor hours. This also indicates Mazda was fully aware of that inferior batch of seals will fail eventually, and spent money for a special tool to prepare for it.

The fix to replace the cracked head actually is not much higher than replacing the exhaust valve stem seals as both jobs need to remove the head with similar labor cost. Mazda did develop a special tool only for the 2.5T to replace the valve stem seals without head removal which greatly reduced labor hours. This also indicates Mazda was fully aware of that inferior batch of seals will fail eventually, and spent money for a special tool to prepare for it.

Just to confirm what you're saying in the bolded part. Are you saying that Mazda used those seals knowing they would fail, and developed a special tool ahead of time to replace them when they did?

Just to confirm what you're saying in the bolded part. Are you saying that Mazda used those seals knowing they would fail, and developed a special tool ahead of time to replace them when they did?
I don’t believe Mazda “intentionally” used inferior seals on the 2.5T for MY 2021. But apparently they used “different” exhaust valve stem seals from previous years either by different vender for lower price, or for whatever the reason. Mazda failed on quality control for this, and later the oil consumption problem exposed. Mazda traced the problem to these new seals (that should be easy to figure out as they knew the seals are different). Mazda waited for a while and the first TSB for the oil consumption problem didn’t specify any resolution but the expensive head removal to replace the seals were allowed (if I remember it correctly). The later TSB stated a new tool has been designed which allows valve stem seal replacement is possible without head removal. When Mazda found out the failure of “new” seals is inevitable, they updated the seals (or may be reused the previous seals that would be easier and safer to do) for later production on the 2.5T, and designed a complicated special tool to handle the seal replacement without head removal hence reduce the labor cost greatly.

Although this settlement hasn’t been finalized yet, but the only thing waiting is the fairness hearing. Mazda knew they have no chance to win this case as they admitted the seal failure in their own TSB, so they have to go for the settlement.

To confirm, the original TSB (01-012/21, posted late 2021) states the issue, states that they are not sure of the root cause and that a repair procedure will be announced at a later date, and also states that it is likely the result of the valve stem seal modification. The next revision (01-011/22, posted late 2022) is the first mention of the special tool used in the valve stem seal replacement. It seems to me that they started developing and testing the tool as soon as they created a repair procedure. Or it is also possible that it took them a while to source new valve stem seals, and that could be why it took almost a year to issue a revised TSB.

In any event, this is great news for 2021 2.5T owners. Hopefully it sets a precedent for the other class action lawsuits for the cylinder head cracking issues.

Received a postcard in the mail today regarding a class action settlement reached with Mazda on the defective stem seals causing oil burning.

Current or former owners and/or lessees of a 2021-2022 Mazda CX-30, 2021 CX-5, 2021 CX-9, 2021-2022 Mazda3, and 2021 Mazda6 vehicle equipped with a 2.5L turbocharged engines

Here is the link to the settlement and claim form:

And frequently asked questions:

In a nutshell, Mazda will replace the defective exhaust valve seals NOW whether or not your low oil light has come on and set a code. All that you need to state is that you needed to add oil before an oil change was due.

Additionally, the powertrain warranty is extended for an additional 2 years and 24k miles after the 5 year 60k miles factory warranty to a total of 7 year 84k miles for affected VIN numbers.

You are also eligible to claim reimbursement for oil changes performed and oil used to refill the low oil to bring it back to normal operating levels.

Hope that helps everyone!
This is not actually true. I received my notice and went to my Mazda dealer which is Jenkins Mazda in Ocala. My vehicle is a 2021 CX 5 signature which is still under warranty until the end of July. I have had every oil change done there since I purchased the vehicle. I told them that I had to add oil twice in between oil changes that they have done because my oil light came on. They said that they needed to do an oil consumption test which was basically them pulling the dipstick and looking at it. What a joke. It has only been 2,000 miles since they changed my oil last. They said that they can’t do anything until my next oil change is due, in 3,000 more miles. At that time they will evaluate whether or not there is a problem BUT if my oil light comes on before that bring it in right away.

This is not actually true. I received my notice and went to my Mazda dealer which is Jenkins Mazda in Ocala. My vehicle is a 2021 CX 5 signature which is still under warranty until the end of July. I have had every oil change done there since I purchased the vehicle. I told them that I had to add oil twice in between oil changes that they have done because my oil light came on. They said that they needed to do an oil consumption test which was basically them pulling the dipstick and looking at it. What a joke. It has only been 2,000 miles since they changed my oil last. They said that they can’t do anything until my next oil change is due, in 3,000 more miles. At that time they will evaluate whether or not there is a problem BUT if my oil light comes on before that bring it in right away.
If your 2021 CX-5 2.5T has had “Low Oil Level Warning Light” on, you can go to your Mazda dealer with a current TSB (the 3rd revision) to get the exhaust valve stem seals replaced under warranty. This should be covered under 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty. You don’t need any “oil consumption test”, the dealer just needs to pull DTC P250F code which was registered when the Low Oil Level Warning Light was on.

TSB No.: 01-003/23 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON WITH DTC P250F:00 DUE TO LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL

8CDE6E84-C037-4141-9C27-E90D9FB008DA.jpeg

No it is actually true and this oil light coming on is not a requirement any longer. You also do not have to submit to an oil consumption test. The settlement is clear and states the remedy can be done right now, simply by stating you had to add oil in between oil changes. The dealership is stonewalling you or has no idea about the settlement. Bring the card with you to show them. Contact corporate and tell them that you went to the dealer to have the seals replaced per the settlement and were turned away. They should contact the dealer and get it set up. Typical BS by the dealer as usual.

No it is actually true and this oil light coming on is not a requirement any longer. You also do not have to submit to an oil consumption test. The settlement is clear and states the remedy can be done right now, simply by stating you had to add oil in between oil changes. The dealership is stonewalling you or has no idea about the settlement. Bring the card with you to show them. Contact corporate and tell them that you went to the dealer to have the seals replaced per the settlement and were turned away. They should contact the dealer and get it set up. Typical BS by the dealer as usual.
I brought the card with me and they were already aware of the problem. They were giving me the typical BS and I knew it. I contacted corporate today and have a case number. They said that I should hear back within 48 to 72 hours. The person I spoke to was very nice so I am hopeful that this will be taken care of soon. I just wish I could go to another dealer but they are the closet to me and they are an hour away.

Just got off the phone with a Mazda rep in CA. She was telling me that the oil light needs to be on in order to get the valve stem seal repair done. I told her that I had the “Your legal rights and options in this settlement” in front of me and it states that the oil light does not need to be on. I asked her what was “the oil consumption test” and she couldn’t tell me. I told her that the dealership should have been able to pull any error codes and they did not. They only looked at the oil dipstick to determine if it was low. I made the dealership provide me with a receipt showing what steps they used to make the oil level determination because I thought that this was ridiculous. After reading some more here on this site, someone said that the error code is P250F:00. So one would think that the dealership could have looked to see if there were any error codes. I told the Mazda rep that I just spoke to that I had the oil light come on twice between oil changes and the last time it was down a quart of oil. She said that is typically the level that happens when there is a problem. She said that she is going to have to talk to someone higher to see if she can get approval to have the repair done without having the oil light on. After this experience I will get rid of this Mazda and never buy one again.

Just got off the phone with a Mazda rep in CA. She was telling me that the oil light needs to be on in order to get the valve stem seal repair done. I told her that I had the “Your legal rights and options in this settlement” in front of me and it states that the oil light does not need to be on. I asked her what was “the oil consumption test” and she couldn’t tell me. I told her that the dealership should have been able to pull any error codes and they did not. They only looked at the oil dipstick to determine if it was low. I made the dealership provide me with a receipt showing what steps they used to make the oil level determination because I thought that this was ridiculous. After reading some more here on this site, someone said that the error code is P250F:00. So one would think that the dealership could have looked to see if there were any error codes. I told the Mazda rep that I just spoke to that I had the oil light come on twice between oil changes and the last time it was down a quart of oil. She said that is typically the level that happens when there is a problem. She said that she is going to have to talk to someone higher to see if she can get approval to have the repair done without having the oil light on. After this experience I will get rid of this Mazda and never buy one again.
That Mazda rep is a dime a dozen IDIOT. You need to have a supervisor call you. These tier one people who answer the phones are morons and the lowest paid, first line of defense of every company to people calling in with complaints. They simply try to make up BS to get you to go away or accept an answer which most dumb people would probably agree with because they don't know any better. The settlement card is clear as day. You had an idiot who cant read, write or understand. Call back and demand a case manager call you.

Last edited:
⋯ After this experience I will get rid of this Mazda and never buy one again.
Can’t blame you. I had similar experience on my previous VW Passat and I’ll never buy any more VW’s even though I’d bought several before.

Honestly you can take a loss and either sell or trade your 2021 CX-5 with a 2.5T anytime you prefer right now and get a different car. It won’t matter if the valve stem seals been replaced or not for the resale value. Just make sure the oil level is full. And you don’t have to deal with this problem anymore.

Last edited:
You'll likely encounter the same pushback with other companies when it comes to big ticket items
Maybe, maybe not. We had a 2011 Acura MDX which had their 3.7L engine. Those engines had oil consumption issues (caused by piston rings). Acura eventually fixed the problem on mine in 2020. (Many years outside of the warranty). The repair involved new pistons which was a major procedure. So that was very expensive. Only issue I had was with the dealer. One of the issues was because I asked them to replace the timing belt because they would have to remove the timing belt to replace the pistons. They wanted to charge me $2300 as that what the timing belt service would cost. I had to argue with them. Eventually they called a mechanic in and he verified that the timing belt would have to come off for the piston service.
I even got a loaner while it was being repaired. (Took almost 2 weeks) Acura stepped up and repaired a large number of these vehicles. (I would assume there were others that were not fixed)

I have a 2021 CX-9. I had a year and a half of free oil changes and brought it in telling them that it was burning oil. I was told that was normal for a new car especially one with a turbo charged engine. Like many others I keep oil in my car now because it is definitely burning it.
After receiving the postcard I called my dealership to schedule the repairs. Twice I was told I would receive a call back and didn’t. Finally when I spoke to the service manager I was told I would have to come in for an oil change. Then after driving 600-1000 miles I would bring the car back in for an oil consumption test. I told them that that is not what is stated in the post card I received. Does anyone know if that is true? Do I have to have that test done or is me saying it is burning oil enough?

Back