Bought an 8

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
While cruising my local Craigslist earlier in the week, I saw an '06 silver RX-8 GT w/46,100 miles listed for $14,000. My wife (and I) have been wanting to get one but couldn't justify the price of a new one. So I showed it to her and asked if she would like it. Long story short, we went for a test drive on Thursday and bought it. She says it's cute...

So now we have yet another Mazda in our stable. Waiting on the check from my credit union to show up so we can pick it up, probably Monday or Tuesday. I've already started buying things for it, not planning on doing a lot since it's hers but just want to dress it up a bit.

Sounds like fun. I test drove an 8 a while back and loved the free-revving engine. Hope your wife knows how to drive it properly ;)

Congrats on the purchase (2thumbs)

Welcome to the Rotary Side. There is nothing like a rotary to make you feel free and alive. Congrats.

Yes, my wife does know how to drive it like she stole it. I told her to take it to redline which she wouldn't do, I have to indoctrinate her about that.

I already have an '81 RX-7 that I bought new, so I have long been familiar with the joys of the rotary.

Here's the link for the ad:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/1527753075.html

Yes, my wife does know how to drive it like she stole it. I told her to take it to redline which she wouldn't do, I have to indoctrinate her about that.

I already have an '81 RX-7 that I bought new, so I have long been familiar with the joys of the rotary.

Here's the link for the ad:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/1527753075.html

Excellent, Its the fastest color in their line up. I am bias!!

e4dc94ef.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Personally I would have liked for her to get a Shinka in Black Cherry Mica (match the Speed6), but she informed me no more red cars. She also wanted a black one, we stopped at a local dealer (on the way to look at the one we bought ) so she could check out black. She decided between the black exterior and black interior, that it would be too dark. Once she drove it that was it. Now I just have to make sure she occasionally drives the Speed and Protege when I am not around!

Check is in and arrangements made to pick the car up Monday. I asked them to put the winter wheels/tires back on since it is so cold (not sure why they put the summers on, think the salespeople wanted to have some fun). My wife told me last night it hasn't sunk in yet, can't wait to see the smile on her face when the paperwork is in our hands.

Congratulations on the 8. Sounds like you have a lot of fun choices in the garage!

Congrats! I have the exact same winter wheel/tire setup.

I was reading through the list of mods and it appears to me that the owner may have been racing it. Not many people have their car cornerweighted, and when you add up all the mods it's typical for the mods of autocross.
--------------------------------
BC Adjustable Coilovers
Adjustable Sway Bar End Links
MazdaSpeed Rear Strut Bar
K&N Air Filter
MazdaSpeed Brake Rotors
Hawk HPS Pads
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Recently Cornerweighted
Red Line Fluids Throughout: Engine, Transmission, Differential
Recent Coolant and Brake Fluid Flush
Stock Wheels with Bridgestone RE-01R Tires

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind. The PO traded it on a 2002 Porsche 911 C4 from what the sales guy told me. I didn't notice any problems while the wife was driving it. Made good noises, pulled well through all the gears etc. Engine bay is very clean. Think we got a good one, of course time will tell. I am looking forward to going through all the paperwork from the PO to see what all he did.

If the PO was autocrossing the car that may be good news IMO. At least most guys who use their cars for autocrossing are good with the maintenance and keep the car in good condition. The engine is better off if it gets put through its paces regularly. I would onlt be concerned about the transmission. The 2nd gear synchro (3rd to a lesser extent) can be a weak link, and most autocross courses will put a bit of stress on it. If it seems to be shifting well you should be good to go.

Picked the car up this morning. I haven't driven it yet, but my wife is pretty good about letting me know about things being wrong. I'm driving it later today so I can see how it is. As I mentioned previously, the car is immaculate so I know the PO took good care of it. I have one of Race Roots Synchro Savers on the way already. Personally I have never overshifted a transmission, but figured since this one is known to be somewhat weak why take the chance?

Oh, and the first mod (color matched front sidemarkers) has already shown up.

I have not had a problem with the synchros, sounds like you are pretty up to date on the issues with the car. All that is left for you to do is have a blast with it. Color matched side markers should look great. I haven't seen them in person yet, but they ollk great in the pics I've seen. Mod list makes it look like a turn key STX Autocrosser. Should be a blast.

I finally got to drive it a little, on the way home from dropping the summer wheels off at my storage. Lots of traffic so couldn't blast it, but everything sounded good and felt good as well. Cleaned the interior, removed the front license plate bracket, installed the corner lights and just generally gave it the once-over. The salesman had told me the shocks were all on full soft, I found that wasn't correct so set them there. Car rode a bit nicer set up that way, absorbed bumps a little better. Couple of minor things to do when I get the chance, but I am very happy with the purchase.

Here's a quick picture of the 8, since I was asked nicely by my friends from the Speed6 community. Please ignore my sad 7 next to it.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 199
Looks great! Congrats! Don't let the MS6 slack now though, or I'll be disappointed.

I wouldn't say it will slack, just be placed on hold. She's pretty much done anyway, although I do have my eye on a set of MS wheels (only $2340!!). Couple of small things for this one to dress it up slightly, then the money is (finally) going into the 7.

Back