Oil on spark plugs (2015 CX-5)

Hi,
I went to change the spark plugs in my wife's 2015 cx5 and 3 of the plugs (the ones furthest from the firewall) had oil on them. They were not dripping oil but had significant amount of oil on them. The oil was on the top of the plugs and less on the threads.
I plan on changing the spark plug tube seals. I'm just wondering if you experts think that will fix the problem. Is this a known problem with this car? BTW, the car has 115,000 miles on it.
Thank you,
Jomo

3 of the plugs (the ones furthest from the firewall) had oil on them. They were not dripping oil but had significant amount of oil on them. The oil was on the top of the plugs and less on the threads.
If “the top of the plugs” meant the spark tip and ceramic insulator area (internal), most likely the oil has passed the piston rings which is not a good sigh. Have you noticed any sign of oil consumption?

If “the top of the plugs” meant the ignition coil pack connector area (external), it’s time to replace the valve cover gasket, not spark plug tube seals. Yes this’s a common problem for any engine with 115,000 miles.

F3730E71-94E1-4201-841D-A9A89DFE414B.jpeg

While you’re there, you may want to replace the oil control valve on top of the engine as it most likely is leaking too.

95B7F644-F055-4145-AA47-448473AD0B2E.jpeg

If you plan to DIY for the job, search the forum for good instruction such as this:

Guide Mazda 2.0 & 2.5L Valve Cover & Oil Control Valve Gasket replacement

Back