CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

uvGPrNq.jpg

If this is indeed the CX-70, the rear overhang is obviously shorter... not the same dimension as the CX-90.
e360-my24-cx90-turbo-s-premium-plus-package-artisan-red-015.jpg

My guess is that they felt the difference in price between the CX-90 and a wider CX-60 would not be that great as the costs for the drivetrain/battery is the bulk of the total cost. A CX-70 on the same platform as the CX-90 would allow them to share costs.
I do get your point but at the end is the same platform. CX60, 70, 80 and 90 are all on the same platform. Being scalable, will easily adapt shorter, longer, smaller or wider sizes. The price should reflect the added/reduced material cost for manufacturing plus not to mention that the margins that they make on this vehicles are quite big, if you read the reports. Making a car same size as cx60 but wider at a lets say 3-5k lower price than cx90 and nobody would complain about this. Keep the same size as the cx90 but with 5 seats at $1500 less than cx90 and nobody will buy the cx70 anymore.

If this is the case thats bad planning.
uvGPrNq.jpg

If this is indeed the CX-70, the rear overhang is obviously shorter... not the same dimension as the CX-90.
e360-my24-cx90-turbo-s-premium-plus-package-artisan-red-015.jpg
That covered car is at an angle. For me the overhang looks identical as the cx90. If you look at the cx60 that C pillar and acompaning window is wayyy smaller. In the covered one you could see how big is the rear window.

It looks like Mazda talked with US dealers last week and reiterated again that the dimensions of the CX-70 would be the “exact same” as the CX-90. They also mentioned that cargo space would be “best in-class”.

If you believe the stories that the 70 and 90 will be the same size then essentially they’re both 90s with different seating. Of course they will share a platform, but that doesn’t mean they will share all of the same dimensions. Something is getting lost in translation methinks :unsure:

I wonder if perhaps the 70 is going after a more soft-roader crowd, similar to what they did with the 50?

I was really hopeful for a CX-60ish vehicle with the CX-90 powertrains. I have zero desire for a full size SUV. For me this means settle for another CX-5 or switch brands.

How ridiculous is it that so much mystery is wrapped up in the dimensions. Another reason to dislike (hate?) Mazda's long teaser periods.

For all I care, keep the damn thing under wraps and embargo the info until your'e a few months away. I like reading about the minutiae of cars as much as anyone, but this is just silly.

As would be having them the same dimensions, silly.

How ridiculous is it that so much mystery is wrapped up in the dimensions. Another reason to dislike (hate?) Mazda's long teaser periods.

For all I care, keep the damn thing under wraps and embargo the info until your'e a few months away. I like reading about the minutiae of cars as much as anyone, but this is just silly.

As would be having them the same dimensions, silly.
Well its doing the job, otherwise we wouldn't be posting here. And we are several months away, as I think it will be revealed in January.

Well its doing the job, otherwise we wouldn't be posting here. And we are several months away, as I think it will be revealed in January.
Fair enough, the buildup and mystery around the length will def keep me watching.

I just looked, the CX90 is about 200 inches long. Closest I can see for non-lux brands is the Gr Cherokee at 193.5 inches. The Mercedes GLE coupe is over 196 so even that would fall short by a few inches on a 5 seater CX70 if the body is the same as the video says.

Not an insignificant difference, in parking lots and in the city. Not to mention lopping off a few inches would trim lb, and I was hoping the engine would be a bit more punchy with the lighter load. As well, naturally weight is the enemy of handling, so I was hoping for a lightweight version of the 90 which was a bit more dynamic. I'm still gonna keep all these hopes up.

Jonathan did not provide more info about size actually.

The so-called official document was released in Feb/2023 in a Japan stock holder Q&A session.
I read the Japanese version, the term "BODY" was used in Japanese pronunciation.
There was a chance of getting lost in translation here.
The way Japanese understand the term "BODY" might be different from English speakers.
We will see. He could mean "chassis".

BTW, can Mazda legally call this a new model when the only difference is number of seats?
This could be the first in auto industry.
Maybe someone can correct me with other examples.

Furthermore, why hide the CX-70 if it looks exactly the same as the CX-90?
Pointless.

Last edited:
Jonathan did not provide more info about size actually.

The so-called official document was released in Feb/2023 in a Japan stock holder Q&A session.
I read the Japanese version, the term "BODY" was used in Japanese pronunciation.
There was a chance of getting lost in translation here.
The way Japanese understand the term "BODY" might be different from English speakers.
We will see. He could mean "chassis".

BTW, can Mazda legally call this a new model when the only difference in number of seats?

Pointless.

I actually think that Mazda switch the strategy, mid-year this year, hence the delayed of the CX70 for next year. Think the original design (saw in pictures by one Mazda representative last spring) was a more sportier version of the CX90.
What I think happened was that mid-year, seeing the sales of the CX90, they didn't want to canibalize into them and they took the decision to basically release a same size version of the CX90 but with 5 rows. I remember the statement with the delay of the CX70, they were mentioning about better product planning, bla bla. That translate it appears, take the same care as the CX90 but with 5 seats instead of 7/8 for almost the same money as the CX90. THat's some really money grab in there. And you know what, I wouldn't mind that if they will invest into a freaking car and not this cuv/suv bs.

BTW, can Mazda legally call this a new model when the only difference in number of seats?

Pointless.

I think these last two points are spot on. Why hide something that is the same thing?

I’m fairly certain this rumor is inaccurate and is being fueled by bad information and mistranslated Japanese articles. I HIGHLY doubt the CX-70 will be a CX-90 with the third row removed. If it has the same wheelbase, it’ll be because it’s a “coupe” SUV. I think it’s more likely we get something closer to a widened CX-60.

My guess is that they felt the difference in price between the CX-90 and a wider CX-60 would not be that great as the costs for the drivetrain/battery is the bulk of the total cost. A CX-70 on the same platform as the CX-90 would allow them to share costs.
Platform and size are 2 different things. The CX-60, 70, 80 and 90 are all on the same platform! The calculus is the increased cost of a midsize 2 row and full size 3 row or a 2row and 3row variants of the fullsize CX-90. The latter would obviously be cheaper fixed cost, but also sell 1/2 to 1/3 as well.

The screw up was the CX-50 which I actually like for what it is. But you don't use it to replace the the CX-5 (the vehicle that outsells everything else you make combined) and it is too close to the CX-5 to fill the gap between the CX-5 and CX-90.

Attachments

• Mazda SUVs.jpg
    Mazda SUVs.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
The screw up was the CX-50 which I actually like for what it is. But you don't use it to replace the the CX-5 (the vehicle that outsells everything else you make combined)

Just as clarification, the CX-5 now represents about 35% of all Mazda sales. They are slowing working to even out the sales of all their models so that the loss of the CX-5 won't sting so bad.

There will be the CX-30, the CX-50, the CX-70 and the CX-90. I predict the CX-5 will be gone the year after the CX-70 is released (2026-2027).

Just as clarification, the CX-5 now represents about 35% of all Mazda sales. They are slowing working to even out the sales of all their models so that the loss of the CX-5 won't sting so bad.

There will be the CX-30, the CX-50, the CX-70 and the CX-90. I predict the CX-5 will be gone the year after the CX-70 is released (2026-2027).
I believe the CX-5 sales would have dropped further if they were able to ramp up CX-50 production earlier. The big shift will occur next year once they introduce the CX-50 Hybrid.

I believe the CX-5 sales would have dropped further if they were able to ramp up CX-50 production earlier. The big shift will occur next year once they introduce the CX-50 Hybrid.
Model for model they are also more expensive and of a lesser quality compared to the completely sorted-out CX-5. After comparing them side by side the 5 was an easy choice for me, but for those seeking a more rugged lifestyle the 50 would likely be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
The shift in pricing is just crazy. I remember from last year when I was comparing prices and my 2022 CX-9 GT was only 3.5K more expensive than comparable CX-50 (GT with Turbo). Still CX-9 had some better, extra features and much better overall build quality. And then came CX-90 with 10K price difference so my expectation is that CX-70 price wise is going to sit somewhere around previous CX-9 level, PHEV most likely will be more expensive.

Back