3rd (third) gear woes

I think shifting is like sex...some people are good at it but others need uhm...practice. Use the lube the previous poster mentioned.

(gossip)

Change the fluid to the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified Manual Transmission Fluid. It solves the 3rd gear grinding problem right away. I had the same problem with my TL a couple of years back.
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=41510

Historically Mazda has been using brass synchros in their trans which call for a GL-4 liquid. I used to use the synchromesh on my old G series transmission until some tests were done after ~10k of use. The metal content (from the brass) was exteremely high and the reported indicated excessive wear. I would stick with a solid GL-4 (that doesn't mean GL4 and GL5) gear oil.

Redline MT90 is awesome.

I've noticed that this car is very sensitive to the clutch being depressed 100%, before you try to put into gear. Sounds stupid, but in all other manual car's I've driven in the last 18 years, the clutch action and shift action could be made a little more in sync. For example, when shifting quickly, you could start moving the shifter as the clutch was depressed about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the floor. By the time that the shifter completed its travel, the clutch would have just contacted the floor.

For the syncros not to balk in the 2-3 shift, you really need to depress the clutch all the way before moving the lever. I hate it. The shifter/tranny are my least favorite parts of this car.

I don't have issues with third and...

I don't understand all these issues with the tranny... I've never had issues with mine. Though I have to admit when I had the stock tranny mount, under WOT I had issues shifting into 3rd occasionally. After I put in the TRZ mount, my shifting is solid... I never have any issues shifting, grinding, or missing shifts...
(huh)

Whats going on with your cars? Are these 2007 models with issues that may have gotten corrected with the 2008s...?

Everything in my car is STOCK. Not sure how you guys drive your MS3, but the only issue I've ever had is grinding when shifting when the tranny is cold. When it's warm I have -0- issues.

I've noticed that this car is very sensitive to the clutch being depressed 100%, before you try to put into gear. Sounds stupid, but in all other manual car's I've driven in the last 18 years, the clutch action and shift action could be made a little more in sync. For example, when shifting quickly, you could start moving the shifter as the clutch was depressed about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the floor. By the time that the shifter completed its travel, the clutch would have just contacted the floor.

For the syncros not to balk in the 2-3 shift, you really need to depress the clutch all the way before moving the lever. I hate it. The shifter/tranny are my least favorite parts of this car.

i agree. it (the clutch uniqueness) is especially noticeable when you drive another car concurrently like i do with the Si.

chacon, are you using a synchromesh fluid in yours?

No, I was kidding. I have heard lots of good stuff about that T90 stuff though.

I don't have any issues with shifting in my car but I only have the bushings. For me, I had to get used to allowing the shifter to settle for a split second before pushing it into the next gear. I can't just hammer from 2nd to 3rd straight through.

It was the same thing with my old Eagle Talon STi. My brother drove it and was giving me s*** saying, "isn't this supposed to be a sports car??" because he couldn't nail the shifter like his Civic Si.

I was thinking about how I drive it this morning on the way to work. I sorta push the shifter forward with some finess and let it find its own way through to the next gear. You can really get swift with it after you map it out or whatever.

My biggest problem with the whole tranny is that last inch or so of the clutch release. If you are too abrupt with it, the car gets jerky. You have to really train your left foot to be smooth all the way to the release of the clutch pedal.

Last edited:
I can shift from 2-3 faster in my car than any other gear for some reason. The 1-2 shift feels very clunky and if you rush it gets made at you. My car hates the 4-5 shift. If I try to go straight from 4 to 5 it always grinds. I have to move the shifter to neutral, then between 5 and 6, finally up to 5.

where can you purchase the solid rear mount?

you don't want a "solid" rear mount.

there is the TRZ dog bone, the street unit billet mount, and my favorite (and WAY cheapest), the corksport urethane inserts.

protege garage, street unit, corksport etc are places you can get this stuff....

I have had the same problems. Put the TRZ poly MM in shifted better, but 2nd-3rd I missed quite often. Did the free shifter base mod, and haven't had a problem since. Timing is everything when it comes to shifting quickly in this car.

For the record, I have 2500 miles.

Back