2021 CX-5 GT Recurring transmission issue

When the vehicle is cold (under 45 degrees outside temp) the transmission does a surge shift between 2 and 3 gear. Took it to dealer and they reprogrammed the transmission. Next winter had the same issue. Took back to dealer and they replaced the transmission. Now this winter have same thing again. Took back to dealer and they are saying it is normal for these transmissions. Does anyone else have this happen with their transmission?

Once the car warms up it stops. I haven't tried sport mode or manual shifting. I will try that. I haven't noticed a chirp but will listen for it.
I had the same problem and nothing Mazda could do resolved the issue including changing the gearbox. In the end Mazda took the stance of saying it is a characteristic of the car thus passing the problem to the owner (sounds a little Post Officeish don't you think). I have had 3 previous CX 5s all with the same gearbox and transmission with no problem. The only difference with the problematic one is that it has the gearbox learning how you drive an additive that is supposed to communicate with the gearbox. In the end I gave up and traded it in and now have the light hybrid that does not have the problem.

Upvote 0
When the vehicle is cold (under 45 degrees outside temp) the transmission does a surge shift between 2 and 3 gear. Took it to dealer and they reprogrammed the transmission. Next winter had the same issue. Took back to dealer and they replaced the transmission. Now this winter have same thing again. Took back to dealer and they are saying it is normal for these transmissions. Does anyone else have this happen with their transmission?
I have been having this issue with our 2023 CX-5, getting the surge in shifting between 2-3, been going on now 16 months. Two tickets into Mazda, from our service department, finally have a repair scheduled in two weeks. its determined that is the Automatic Transmission Control Valve. Warranty obviously covering this. Our service department has been frustrated with Mazda as they knew the issue, but to get it through warranty Mazda had to acknowledge the issue. After a deep Data upload from the car to Mazda, this is the outcome. So stay tuned and I'll update once the repair has been completed.
I had the same problem and nothing Mazda could do resolved the issue including changing the gearbox. In the end Mazda took the stance of saying it is a characteristic of the car thus passing the problem to the owner (sounds a little Post Officeish don't you think). I have had 3 previous CX 5s all with the same gearbox and transmission with no problem. The only difference with the problematic one is that it has the gearbox learning how you drive an additive that is supposed to communicate with the gearbox. In the end I gave up and traded it in and now have the light hybrid that does not have the problem.
What kind of engine do you guys have? 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation, or a 2.5T?

Upvote 0
So my issue has been repaired, yes it was the Automatic Transmission Control Valve. Its been 5 days now and "knock on wood" no issues.
Thanks for the update!

Not sure if your problem is related to AFT contamination. Since you have the 2.5L NA with CD, you have single plate lock-up clutch pack in torque converter which could contaminates the ATF with iron power due to excessive wear. Watch for the symptom described in this TSB:

Automatic Transaxle on 3-4 upshift - Bulletin 05-005/23

Upvote 0
So my issue has been repaired, yes it was the Automatic Transmission Control Valve. Its been 5 days now and "knock on wood" no issues.

Can you share a screenshot of the copy of the invoice with the part number ? I have a similar issue on my 2018 CX-9. Obviously warranty just expired last month, wondering how much that would be to get done.

Upvote 0
Can you share a screenshot of the copy of the invoice with the part number ? I have a similar issue on my 2018 CX-9. Obviously warranty just expired last month, wondering how much that would be to get done.
The 2018 CX-9 has a 2.5T. It has different transmission from the one for the 2.5L NA with CD. The valve body mentioned should be different from yours. You can easily to find the correct valve body part number for your transmission from any Mazda dealer by giving them your VIN.

How many miles on your 2018 CX-9? Keep in mind a new valve body ($$$$$) may not fix your transmission problem. I’d try to do a TCM reset and an ATF drain&fill first and see.

Upvote 0
Agreed. Initially he said valve control, I was hoping it might have been something cheaper than the valve body, but doesn’t look like it.

My CX-9 only has 85,000 km ( about 54,000km). I just did a trans fluid flush, it seems slightly better but not completely. I will try to reset the learning module next.

Upvote 0
Back