3rd (third) gear woes

wtf is up with cable actuated shifters? my '07 Si is like this, has been from new....so i put a comptech SS to help when the car had 10 miles.

it did, but not 100%.

now i get this ms3...from brand new, i do bushings, twm SS and corksport mounts all to avoid any potential shifting issues. i've put 2k on it. the thing shifts nicely for a cable shifter, but i'll be damned if 3rd gear seems to like to grind pretty easily. i've driven manual cars my entire life and never had a problem until these two cars.

do you guys think it's just a timing thing i have to break? it doesn't happen that much, but i'd say in the past two days i've ground third gear 3 times which is ALOT considering i never had any freakin' issues driving/shifting/etc for a decade.

granted, i probably did brisk 2-3 shifts 50 times in the past two days after i realized this is happening (obsessive compulsive "tests" after a perceived problem), but still...

I removed the counter weight and reinstalled it 5 minutes later. shifter felt cheap and sloppy. Now that I have 20k, I never grind anymore. I don't know if it's a wear in issue, but it's smooth as butter now. I have the bushings, TWM SS, and a AWR88 Dur mount.

I removed the counter weight and reinstalled it 5 minutes later. shifter felt cheap and sloppy. Now that I have 20k, I never grind anymore. I don't know if it's a wear in issue, but it's smooth as butter now. I have the bushings, TWM SS, and a AWR88 Dur mount.

so are you guys admitting that you made changes because you were grinding? im assuming it's just a matter of getting further used to the clutch/upshift-to-3rd timing? i just feel like crap when it happens and it sounds so nasty. id have to damage something so new and lovely!

yeah, i thought about the counterweight thing before, thanks for the suggestion ms3-oholic, but i honestly don't think i'd be down with that....when im bored im might try it just to say i did.

It was a problem either with the car, or with me. It was worse with the pre-recall trans mount. I could shift perfectly everytime from second to third if I made a very deliberate shift @ WOT. The only times I had it grind were during those heat of the moment shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I was wondering if it was me being overzealous in my shifting. I've never had a manual shift car with this much power before. Either the trans is breaking in for smoother shifts or I'm getting better.

I don't understand all these issues with the tranny... I've never had issues with mine. Though I have to admit when I had the stock tranny mount, under WOT I had issues shifting into 3rd occasionally. After I put in the TRZ mount, my shifting is solid... I never have any issues shifting, grinding, or missing shifts...
(huh)

Whats going on with your cars? Are these 2007 models with issues that may have gotten corrected with the 2008s...?

mine don't grind. I had a problem brand new that my first gear would actually shake while in gear but at 4500 miles that went away and with the corsport inserts the shifting is smooth.

i've got the delrin mount sitting next to me. tonight is install night at a friends garage.

we'll see how that shifting is afterwards. I hope it clears some things upppp

Whats going on with your cars? Are these 2007 models with issues that may have gotten corrected with the 2008s...?

Nah, some people just seem to grind gears regardless. My car is an early '07 and I never had problems stock. I have the bushings now but that's only for improved feel.

The 2-3 'problem' that many describe is the result of the engine rocking back and forth under WOT which as you already know is helped a lot by the upgraded rear mount.

I don't understand all these issues with the tranny... I've never had issues with mine. Though I have to admit when I had the stock tranny mount, under WOT I had issues shifting into 3rd occasionally. After I put in the TRZ mount, my shifting is solid... I never have any issues shifting, grinding, or missing shifts...
(huh)

same here, 2nd-3rd was a b**** and my friend thought i couldnt drive, but i changed to delring trz mm and i never missed a shift since, solid feel to the shifter, i also have to twm bushings.(thank you santa)

i've paid a little more attention over the past couple days and i've had no trouble. it seems it had to have been a timing issue between the clutch engagement and the upshift to third.

makes sense because the same thing hap'd with the Si...

hhmm... i guess im lucky, i got no problem with my shifter so far..got 10k on it now... an it's all stock too :)

i've paid a little more attention over the past couple days and i've had no trouble. it seems it had to have been a timing issue between the clutch engagement and the upshift to third.

makes sense because the same thing hap'd with the Si...

just an update. the above quoted info stands true- everything has been fine. my timing has been subconsciously adjusted and all is fine.

I think people that live in the colder climates have the grinding issues. My tranny grinds all over the place when its cold out, but when temps are above 30 it shifts smooth as silk.

I think people that live in the colder climates have the grinding issues. My tranny grinds all over the place when its cold out, but when temps are above 30 it shifts smooth as silk.

That would be an indication to change the tranny fluid to appropriate weight for cold climates. Anyone try this?

Back