Replacement 2018~2022 engine for 2016 CX-9?

Hi, I’ve posted on here regarding this in the past but wasn’t able to get a full answer the first time around. My mom needs to get a replacement engine for her 2016 CX-9 (long story, not fault of the car) but due to a lot of recent circumstances, the finances aren’t great right now and having to pay over 4k for an engine compared to 2-3k is a big deal atm. We found that 18-22 engines tend to be a lot cheaper than a 2016 engine and so we have been trying to figure out whether it would be compatible.

We have gotten mixed responses, but have yet to find anyone who is certain about whether or not it would work. Does anyone have any experience or would be able to provide support in identifying if we would be able to use an engine from another year as a replacement, or would it not be viable to put an 18-22 engine in a 16 CX-9?

Iam not sure if you saw my post but i already answered your questions in the previous post.

2016 to 2022 long blocks are comparable. As long as you are matching engines. Non deactivating cylinders with non deactivating.
Not sure where you are located but i wouldn't go with a used engine. Only new.

Back