Pros and cons of egr valve block off.

blackmsp003

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
I'v heard of kits to remove and block the egr valve. Has anyone done this or know of the pros and cons of it?

If your running full stand alone ECU you can tune out the EGR and not have to worry about it. For a stock ECU and mildly modded MSP. It doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. you get no performance gains.
I have read several posts on here that stated the EGR reflow of air into the chambers helps decrease detonation. If that's the case you may not want to get rid of it

Most states won't pass your inspection unless the CEL is off....Is it worth re-doing every year ? In NY, you can't pass w/ a CEL on.

same for CT.
i think theres a way around triggering the CEL though, i feel like i saw it once and never again. i have no interest in blocking my EGR.

i blocked off my egr and got no egr code

i only have two pending codes
p0037
p0140

both because i don't have a second o2 sensor hooked up

same for CT.
i think theres a way around triggering the CEL though, i feel like i saw it once and never again. i have no interest in blocking my EGR.

Yudkib, when do you want to look at your car ? Or maybe you have figured it out ?.. Let me know, as I'll be around all weekend again.

sorry tor evive this old thread, but there are some more pro's and con's from what you guys said

PROS:
cleaner intake manifold, no reciculation of carbons from the exhaust helps keep the eGR cleaned.
Also, the EGR only works when the engine is coldm it does not work when the engine is warm, it also does not help keep detonation down as it doesn't work when the engine is hot. this ia strictly a emissions device used to recirculate unburned gases that otherwise would make it into the environment.

CONS:
emoving makes for a kind of rough idle when engine is cold which would requiere to warm up the engine a bit...which you should be doing anyways, right?

CEL:
the cel can be eliminating by leaving the EGR sensor attached to the circuit.
there are three ways opf doing the EGR mod
1. removing the EGR sensor completely, and blocking off the wholes with a plate and leaving the sensor plugged in just hanging.
2. blocking the intake side of the EGR shut and leaving it connected to keep from getting a cel
3. putting a breather filter on the intake pipe of the eGR (the pipe coming from the exhaust) and leaving it conencted. I believe this is the reason for the rough idle, i will soon be blocking my vented pipe and see if there is a difference.

hope this helps and if someone can prove me wrong, please let me know...i love elarning new things

let me know^
mine has a rough idle on startup too, i blocked off the exhaust port and left the intake side open

and is it just me, but whenever it does a egr test, the car surges really bad, like the AFR's go to 12 and then back to 16, 4 or 5 times, and then it goes back to normal...only does it when im cruising at around 50-60

Even when leaving the EGR connected and not attached to the intake mani due to the port being blocked off. You would assume a insufficient flow CEL would pop up! How do you avoid that CEL from poping up?

yea i know lol its been doing that for a while now and i couldnt figure out what it is
where do you buy a plug for the intake mani? i was looking on flyin miata and they sell a plug for the miata intake mani, was wondering if it maybe is the same size?

i know about the size..just didnt know home depot had it lol lowes didnt have a plug when i went to check like 2 months ago, but home depot always has more stuff for some reason
ill check it out and post up in the thread

Back