NAIL in sidewall of tire -- Need help finding replacement!

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
TPMS light came on a few weeks ago, I checked all the tires and found 1 low one. I refilled the tire to correct PSI, and 1 week later, the same tire was low again. I knew I then had a slow leak, so I brought the car to dealer for inspection. Dealer inspected tire, found no issues, and refilled the tire. Another week later, TPMS light on again, check the suspect tire, and again it is low. At this time I decide to bring to a tire shop, and they quickly find a large nail sticking out of the sidewall of tire. Tire is deemed un-repairable.

I can order a tire from tirerack.com but it is a different load rating. I am having a difficult time finding the MATCHING tire. I tried contacting YOKOHAMA directly, but no luck there either...

This is what I am looking for...YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER G91, 225/65/17, 100H

Does anyone have any ideas or connections?

Thanks!

Oh, I didn't realize it was on back order.

That sucks, sorry man.

Crappy man. I didnt know the 17s were so rare. I have the gt and know the 19s are nonexistant as well. What the hell are we supposed to do? Park our cars for months on end waiting for one damn tire? Or replace all 4? Its rediculous.
Good luck with your search.

YEEEEEHAH!!! My Mazda dealer came through for me! The dealer has been fantastic so far... They have located one and are going to install for me! Same price as tirerack. Should only be a few days... They were secretive on where it was coming from though... LOL. I don't mind, as I do not like driving around with a nail in my tire, and even worse, the sidewall!

Last edited:
Sounds like Tyre supply for the CX 5 Is a major issue. I thought the problem was limited to the 19" but obviously the 17" too. I've been onto Mazda UK about the lack of stock of the 19". They said they carry a stock but I have since found out they only have 4 in the whiole of the UK!! Fortunately for me I have got hold of one of them so now the UK stock is down to 3. 1 in a dealership and two at Mazda UK. I think people should bombard Mazda with this issue! Its not acceptable.

Sounds like Tyre supply for the CX 5 Is a major issue. I thought the problem was limited to the 19" but obviously the 17" too. I've been onto Mazda UK about the lack of stock of the 19". They said they carry a stock but I have since found out they only have 4 in the whiole of the UK!! Fortunately for me I have got hold of one of them so now the UK stock is down to 3. 1 in a dealership and two at Mazda UK. I think people should bombard Mazda with this issue! Its not acceptable.

You should bombard Toyo, not mazda.

I understand why a Porsche or high preformance vehicle will have a special size tire for a vehicle but, for the manufacture of a daily driver like a CX5 to specify a weird size is beyond me. Some economy vehicles were fitted with V rated tires and that drove the tire replacement cost way up when replacement time came. End of Rant. Ed

I understand why a Porsche or high preformance vehicle will have a special size tire for a vehicle but, for the manufacture of a daily driver like a CX5 to specify a weird size is beyond me. Some economy vehicles were fitted with V rated tires and that drove the tire replacement cost way up when replacement time came. End of Rant. Ed

It is not a weird size, when I checked the tirerack.com there were 58 different tires available in that size (225/65/17).

The problem I had was finding the tire that exactly matched the existing 3 on the vehicle.

Last edited:
It is not a weird size, when I checked the tirerack.com there were 58 different tires available in that size (225/65/17).

The problem I had was finding the tire that exactly matched the existing 3 on the vehicle.

And the 225 55 R19 ? rare as rocking horse Shi!

TireRack has 58 in the 17 inch size but, NON match the tire suppied by Mazda? That is exactly what I mentioned.

Dealer got the tire from Mazda, and completed installation successfully. However, I think it is important to note that in the first few miles, the TPMS had to be RESET 3 times. The technician reset the light after installing tire, then the TPMS light came on again during our quick trial test drive, so the tech re-verified pressures, and reset light again, after leaving dealer, in just a few miles, the TPMS light came on again, and after resetting the TPMS for a 3rd time, all is good!

Last edited:
Back