How successful will the 5 be?

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
What does everyone think? I'm not so sure how US consumers will react to it, but it probably has a lot going for it with better economy, handling and price than a typical minivan. It's also the perfect size for being functional without being absurbly huge. I think it'll do decent. And I hope it does awesome.

a sensible alternative to a compact SUV that actually can seat 3 rows of people comfortably, i say go for it!

what exactly is it supposed to compete with.. the forrester and alike cars?

can a Forester seat 6 people in 3 rows like a mini-minivan?

AFAIK, there are no current vehicles that compete directly with the Mazda5, Mazda is trying something new, kinda like how they reintroduced the 2 seat roadster back in 1989 with the Miata and created the '4 door sports car' in the RX-8

Mazda admits that this will be an experiment in North America, we'll see how it goes.

I think it's going to be a BIG hit here in (canada)

I think Canadians arent really in the BIG suv/van

and it's Mazda..just watch the success the P5 and the Mazda3 here in Montreal.. it's nice! (rei)

VPower said:
I think it's going to be a BIG hit here in (canada)

I think Canadians arent really in the BIG suv/van

and it's Mazda..just watch the success the P5 and the Mazda3 here in Montreal.. it's nice! (rei)

I second that. There are so many P5's and 3's here it's unbelievable.

VPower : do you read La Presse? Car journalist's predict an instant success.

Red Baron said:
I second that. There are so many P5's and 3's here it's unbelievable.

VPower : do you read La Presse? Car journalist's predict an instant success.

I didnt see the article in La Presse... But as you can see, Canadian and American market are very different.

I like it a lot. I think it's a great idea. If we lose our minds after having this kid, and decide to have a second one, I may need to move up to a larger vehicle, and this seems like a perfect option to me. Lots of room, without being huge, available in a stick, and probably mod-able using Mazda3 parts!

That being said, it will probably bomb terribly here, because my opinions on cars don't seem to fit those of the general U.S. populace. I think SUV's are mostly stupid. There are people for whom they (SUV's) make sense, but if only the people who needed them had them, the sales figures would be about 1/20 of what they've been for the last ten years.

It seems the U.S. market just doesn't want flexible, useful, fuel-efficient vehicles. I guess we'll see.

There is a chance it might strike a niche in the U.S. market...It seems people are more "Fuel Efficient" conscious and SUV's are played out (I hope)...plus the sport/family factor...Hmmmm

Damn, i didn't realize the stick was an option...I'm wanna be the first Hiboost/MAM boosted Mazda5! True sleeper.

I definitely dig it. Will have to see it in person of course but:

I don't want an SUV. Mazda 6 is cool, but I'm over 6' and just can't sit in the back unless it's a wagon. But the wagon gets poor MPG per what people say...

With a second baby on the way - this might just be what we need, trade in the P5 that the wife drives... we'll see. P5 is awesome but there just is not that much space for all the baby junk + stroller + shopping bags back there...

Plus - airbags all around + ABS standard? FINALLY someone gets it!! Good job MAZDA!

The Mazda5 is just what I want. A big 4 cylindar engine (good fuel economy) seats 6 and it comes loaded. I drive long distances to work but I also go on vacation frequently with friends and need room for everyone/thing. This is perfect for me. Just wish it had all-wheel drive like my Rav4. Can't wait to buy it next year when my cars are paid off!!

protegeV said:
Soccer Mom's everywhere will LOVE it :D

Although I know you meant it the good way, but I also think that it's kind of offensive.

If I love it, am I a "soccer mom" as well. I'm a man by the way. (attn)

Secondly, I'm not sure that a "soccer mom" will really appreciate the Mazda5 as much as a real car enthusiast does. A "soccer mom," I believe, will hit the Sienna or Odyssey, although not bad choices as well. But for someone who is looking for a more compact car with better driving feel and little more mpg, and little more aggressive look will need more than a regular "soccer mom" to appreciate it. Hence, not much "soccer mom" in the US will really appreciate the Mazda5, although a very very fine car. As you know it, the US public (i.e. majority) is very latent in mentality, always thinking that "bigger is better." (usa)

Last edited:
Foolish said:
I like it a lot. I think it's a great idea. If we lose our minds after having this kid, and decide to have a second one, I may need to move up to a larger vehicle, and this seems like a perfect option to me. Lots of room, without being huge, available in a stick, and probably mod-able using Mazda3 parts!

That being said, it will probably bomb terribly here, because my opinions on cars don't seem to fit those of the general U.S. populace. I think SUV's are mostly stupid. There are people for whom they (SUV's) make sense, but if only the people who needed them had them, the sales figures would be about 1/20 of what they've been for the last ten years.

It seems the U.S. market just doesn't want flexible, useful, fuel-efficient vehicles. I guess we'll see.

This is my educated guess whats: Mazda is trying to replicate the sucess of the Honda element, PT Crusier, both thease cars were originaly targted at first time car buyer, but were a huge hit with "soccer moms" cuase they were "cool" and had versatlty. Mazda also banking on the high gas prices creating the need for a supply of fuel efficiant peole movers (supply creats demand) . Also most male dont want to drive a minivan period, but most male still are the primary buyer of 98% of them, it low fule econmey and can carry kids thats an easey sell to somone wife, its should do well

Mazda3ofKent said:
This is my educated guess whats: Mazda is trying to replicate the sucess of the Honda element, PT Crusier, both thease cars were originaly targted at first time car buyer, but were a huge hit with "soccer moms" cuase they were "cool" and had versatlty. Mazda also banking on the high gas prices creating the need for a supply of fuel efficiant peole movers (supply creats demand) . Also most male dont want to drive a minivan period, but most male still are the primary buyer of 98% of them, it low fule econmey and can carry kids thats an easey sell to somone wife, its should do well

The only reason I would buy one of these for cargo space w/ a 5 spd/ good handling...we'll have to see how it does in person

After learning more about the Mazda5, I'm rather disappointed in the details. No DSC for the US market initially, and relatively poor fuel economy as a result of tall gearing to move those 3333lbs at a zoom-zoom pace.

More info at: mazda5club.com

Latest posts

Back