For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

...Do you think it is reasonable to have a transmission issue on 84K miles in? ...
Well sure. It's a machine. They are not perfect and parts and components fail from time to time. Maybe something fails at 300 miles or 300,000 but failures DO happen no matter how well engineered and manufactured a product is. Such is life. Just because failures happen doesn't mean a manufacturer doesn't care about your safety or about the reliability of their product.

I have several Mazdas and fully anticipate them to last 10+ years and several hundred thousand miles each with little to no major issues. Mazda has made no claim to that effect but history has shown me that Mazda makes reliable vehicles. You likely felt the same. It doesn't mean that a costly repair can't or won't happen but it's not likely.

You have to realize that of over a quarter million (253691 according to the interwebs) 2013 CX5's sold (worldwide) that a small number will have failures. The older the vehicle gets with both age and usage the more chances are of a problem occuring, components failing. That's why they loose value because there is more risk to owning/operating an older vehicle. You are owning/operating an older vehicle.

I don't really see the point of your post Miss Regina 🤷‍♂️ other than venting your "feels" about your perception of Mazda mistreating you by only agreeing to cover 62% of an out of warranty repair that they have no obligation to pay any of.

IMHO, Mazda IS taking very good care of you. Above and beyond what they're required to. You should stop with the drama and blasting of Mazda and get your car repaired for the low cost of $750. If that's the only non maintenance repair you've had in 9 years of ownership of a pre-owned purchase, I'd call that a win!

I get it, nobody likes to deal with car breakdowns and repairs but they do happen.

^said it better than I could have. I wouldn’t define the issue on whether or not it’s reasonable, but it’s rather unfortunate.

Last edited:
Hello!
I own a Mazda CX5 2013 touring 4 CYL, 2.0L, Skyactive that has 83K miles on it (San Diego, CA).

I bought this car in 2015, it had about 16K miles on it, directly from the Mazda Dealership with an expectation that this is a safe car and that it will drive at least 200K. However, about 2 weeks ago while I was driving, I lost control over my car. The console warning lights came on (same as mentioned above), I lost a control of my car before it stopped moving in the middle of the street. This created a very dangerous situation where I could have hit somebody or hurt myself and my passengers.

⋯ Like I said in my post, this issue has occured at 5K, 18K, 27K and now 84K miles on the car, it does not seem to relate to the car's age and milage but rather manufacturing problem begin with which left drivers in a dangerous condition.
I guess I got confused here. You bought the CX-5 with 16K miles on it, yet you have experienced the problem at 5K、18K、27K、and now 84K miles? Did you report the same problem at earlier miles to the Mazda dealer? If you did, I’d believe Mazda should have obligation to fix the problem for you.

I guess I got confused here. You bought the CX-5 with 16K miles on it, yet you have experienced the problem at 5K、18K、27K、and now 84K miles? Did you report the same problem at earlier miles to the Mazda dealer? If you did, I’d believe Mazda should have obligation to fix the problem for you.
Good question. I assumed those mileages were for other cars reported under this thread. Check their post and that’s how I read it, problems reported for their same model year at various miles but not their vehicle specifically.

Hello!
I own a Mazda CX5 2013 touring 4 CYL, 2.0L, Skyactive that has 83K miles on it (San Diego, CA).

I bought this car in 2015, it had about 16K miles on it, directly from the Mazda Dealership with an expectation that this is a safe car and that it will drive at least 200K. However, about 2 weeks ago while I was driving, I lost control over my car. The console warning lights came on (same as mentioned above), I lost a control of my car before it stopped moving in the middle of the street. This created a very dangerous situation where I could have hit somebody or hurt myself and my passengers.
#00198656 my case number:
I decided to take my car to the Mazda dealership after stopping at a small repair shop by my house where they ran a quick diagnostics and where they informed me that it was a computer issue (basically, the computer was not talking to the car. The mechanic suggested to take it to the Mazda dealership as soon as possible) on Monday April 22, 2024.
I went to the dealership and explained what happened and how unsafe I felt. The service intake person, Antonio, did not listen what I had to say but tried to tell me that my car did not start back on since I didnt put it "on park" and probably it was "bad battery" problem but they would have to run the diagnostics for $199 no way around that. I felt like I was belittled and my safety was not taken seriously so I decided to go to a different dealership hoping to get better customer service. However, on my way out, my car started "acting up" again and I lost the control over the car. Thankfully, it did not happen on the freeway and I didnt get into an accident. I had no choice to leave my car there and pay $199. It took a day or two, Antonio called me and said that it "might" be an alternator issue and it might need to be replaced. I asked about the computer issue since they never listed that as an issue. It took another day, he called me back and said that it wasn't an alternator issue after all, it was now a transmission valve issue (computer issue!!!) and it costs about $3000 for me to fix it but also noted that it still might not fix the overall issue. Since my car is 3000 miles over 80K mile warranty, I would have to pay for it.
I Here I am 83K miles later and my car is a lemon (Transmission Valve issues). After escalating this issue to Mazda USA. Mazda is asking me to invest another $750 (They are covering $1243.27 portion, so it was never $3000 as a total) to replace the valve now, on the issue that is a manufacturing problem that is nothing to do with miles driven and might not even fixed the issue. According to my research and people's comments above, I have learned that this issue has been known to MAZDA USA from 2013 and had happened to the same exact models at 5000K, 18K, 27K, and my 83K (not even counting all the troubled cars in) miles. Not only am I disappointed in the current condition of my car but how lightly Mazda is considering the safety on top of the poor customer service after being Mazda customer for 8 years. As you can hear from the recording, their concerns stop at certain "year and milage" on the car. My car is "too old" and "too high on miles" for them to care. Please, note that you will be only valuable to Mazda if you are driving a "NEW" model! I was lucky that I didn’t get into an accident since my car lost control during the drive and when I originally described the issue on my arrival to the Mazda dealership they still let me to drive away with this car. Furthermore, Mazda does not care that there are so many 2013 CX5s driving on the road now that have the same problem. They should have been recalled years ago! I don’t have confidence in driving this car ever again and replacing this it will be challenging because it has lost it’s market value tremendously due to the issue it has even when it gets fixed. Please, contact me if you like to take any further action against Mazda due to the safety issue: regina.toom@gmail.com. Unfortunately, this chat does not let me attach the "voice memo" but if you are interested listening a very rude and careless Mazda USA representative; Betty, I would be happy to email you the memo. I would greatly appreciate any support! Thank you!

Hi Regina,
Just happened to my dads car too. 2013 with only 67,000kms (41,000miles). You're lucky Mazda USA has given you discounts on your repairs. We paid the full price after the repairs (took 3 months!) as Mazda Malaysia doesnt give a damn but i am still persistent with them (still emailing them) for discounts of any sorts and a proper technical explanation on what that had happened.

Back