CX-70 debut information, pictures, discussion

Thats an error in the article. The least expensive (GS) model for the CX-70 is not out yet. So they compared the CX-90 GS to the CX-70 GS-L, which is the next trim up. That is pretty poor journalism.

Thats an error in the article. The least expensive (GS) model for the CX-70 is not out yet. So they compared the CX-90 GS to the CX-70 GS-L, which is the next trim up. That is pretty poor journalism.
Winnipeg Sun sounds like the typical tabloid who is looking for a bit of sensationalism so par for the course!

In Canada they are 1k less. But CX-90 in Canada where already cheaper than the in the US. So it sounds like the CX70 in the US pricing is more aligned with the canadian pricing and the difference with the CX-90 in the states is from the inflated CX-90 pricing.

In canada:
Cx-70 GS-L : 49 750$
CX-90 GS-L: 49 300$

CX-70 signature (top trim): 62 300$
CX-90 Signature: 63 300$

In Canada they are 1k less. But CX-90 in Canada where already cheaper than the in the US. So it sounds like the CX70 in the US pricing is more aligned with the canadian pricing and the difference with the CX-90 in the states is from the inflated CX-90 pricing.

In canada:

Interesting. Now the CX-70 prices are showing that the CX-90 was overpriced in the US. Mazda must have a very large margin on the CX-90.

Ahh crud, it just sunk in that the Turbo S models force you into 21" tires, which I really don't like, and it doesn't make sense to go for an S then have to pay more to get 19" rims and tires.

Where I live the 19" just work well for me all year.

Ahh crud, it just sunk in that the Turbo S models force you into 21" tires, which I really don't like, and it doesn't make sense to go for an S then have to pay more to get 19" rims and tires.

Where I live the 19" just work well for me all year.
Does Mazda forced you to get a staggered setup w/21" wheels?

resting. Now the CX-70 prices are showing that the CX-90 was overpriced in the US. Mazda must have a very large margin on the CX-90

Well not really new, I had already reported on it somewhere else a few time, but I realise not everyone saw it before. Honestly I could probably sell canadian Cx-90 to the states and make a profit.

Post in thread 'CX-90 Reviews are out'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cx-90-reviews-are-out.123879051/post-6779491

Post in thread 'CX-70 debut information, pictures, discussion'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cx-70-debut-information-pictures-discussion.123880571/post-6795148

Does Mazda forced you to get a staggered setup w/21" wheels?
The Turbo S are fitted with 21" coming off the line. There isn't an option showing to select 19", so I'd have to then buy 19" separately.

On Lexus RX I can go up to a Premium+ Trim - those models have 19" as base, but 21" as an option. Above Premium+ Trim they only have 21", no option to down-select to a 19".

I've driven with 21" loaners as well as 19", get current-year RX loaners when getting service. My desire to stick with 19" is based on where I live and drive. For the mix of potholes and snow conditions I experience the 19", without having to swap to specific winter tires, actually works well.

Last edited:
The Turbo S are fitted with 21" coming off the line. There isn't an option showing to select 19", so I'd have to then buy 19" separately.
What I meant was does Mazda use different width 21" wheels in the front compared to the back?

I'd really hoped to see them bump the tuning a bit, another 10 - 20 HP on both the Turbo and Turbo S versions. They should have had enough time, and plenty of available growth potential with that engine, to do good things.

In canada:

It looks like the CX-70 is $1k cheaper across all trims in Canada. The CX-70 GS-L does cost $450 more but that now comes standard with the Moonroof which required an add-on package with the CX-90 GS-L.

Now that basic information and pricing are out - it seems that Mazda wants to push as many people to the CX90 as possible - which makes the earlier comment about CX70 sales being 30% of CX90 sales seem very plausible.

Only one exterior color, Jet Black Mica, is free of additional cost. 4 of the 8 colors on the CX90 don't have an upcharge. They should have offered the blue that's on the CX90 - it's a nice color and would both sell and age better than the copper because that is going to age like milk.

There are a lot of features on the Turbo S Premium Plus (on both CX70 & 90) that are desirable but that interior color kills it for me - it looks like it came out of a 1980s Lincoln.

I didn't find much of a price delta ($54,275 for the CX70 3.3 Turbo S Premium vs. $56,414 for the CX90 3.3 Turbo S Premium) but the CX70 doesn't have all of the fake chrome and that's a plus to me.

The more I learn about it - the less desirable it is and that kind of sucks because I was looking forward to getting back into a Mazda.

I'm going to test-drive the competition in the coming weeks because it's becoming apparent this is going to be a miss between the size, the interior colors vs. options and cost.

Someone who wants a lot of cargo space, doesn't mind really long (goes with that much cargo space), wants a nice interior.

I got it - an upscale backpacking guide, who takes groups of 4 people on trips, needs space for 5 fully loaded backpacks plus additional supplies.

They can corner the market!

Someone who wants a lot of cargo space, doesn't mind really long (goes with that much cargo space), wants a nice interior.

I got it - an upscale backpacking guide, who takes groups of 4 people on trips, needs space for 5 fully loaded backpacks plus additional supplies.
I don't think Mazda honestly knows - this feels more and more like a swing for the fences because it's so out of touch. Their whole strategy is overly complex (8 trim levels in CX90, not counting PHEV) and a 2nd, nearly identical model with very similar pricing that still misses the boat because they've duplicated the 90's cell phone contract style options levels.

Simplicity sells, kids. Both vehicles should have been 1 model with 4 trim levels, 1 engine option (not including PHEV), 3 seat configurations (Captain's with 3rd row, bench with 3rd row or bench without 3rd row). That alone would streamline their production lines.

Bring over CX60 as the luxury option to the CX50.

Back