Wireless OBDII, Torque Pro and Custom PIDs

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
How much is involved? I understand there are custom PID's that will show Individual tire pressure as well as AWD split/time used?

Anyone familiar with this and what's involved in getting the custom PID's running. While we're at it, what Wireless OBDII are you using and can you leave it always connected with the power drain not affecting my car starting - sometimes I don't use my car for 3 days.

Android application and on screen with Android Auto obviously

One thing that you need to be aware of is that third party support for proprietary Mazda OBD PIDs which are valid for our newer vehicles is minimal at this point in time. Although you may see Mazda PID lists available online, I've yet to come across anything free that's valid and useful for our newer gen vehicles.

I've owned a Launch OBD reader for quite a few years, and it's been a very good unit for a number of our older vehicles. And although this reader supposedly comes with lifetime free upgrades for newer vehicles, the latest upgrade release for Mazda is a total non-starter for reading their newer proprietary live data. And of course there has been zero support available from Launch, even though I've sent numerous requests to multiple email addresses.

I mention this not as a sob story, but rather to confirm that the more recent proprietary live data is being closely kept under lock and key by Mazda (and the cost to license it is off the charts). AFA Torque Pro, I'm familiar with only one add-on APK that provides any newer Mazda PIDs, and that one appears to be only available for Windows running emulated Android. I have it running on that platform, but have not been able to find an Android phone counterpart for that APK anywhere. And I must also say that add-on is very limited in content, with TFT being the only PID that I've actually used.

Now certainly there must be OBD readers on the market which provide at least some of the newer Mazda proprietary live data PIDs. But at this point I'm not willing to spend a significant amount of $$ for one of those units. So, with no great need at this point, I'll wait it out until something else shows up, such as a collection of working PIDs for our vehicles that fell off the truck.

The following work great on my '15 CX-5

FORScan Lite

Along with OBD Link or OBD Fusion.. Link comes with all the expansion packs while Fusion costs for each one and model year. They support up to 2021 Model year enhanced diagnostics on Mazda at this time.

Android - OBD Fusion
Android - OBD Link

IOS - OBD Fusion
IOS - OBD Link

with this adapter

Above adapter does not drain battery and also receives regular firmware updates as well.

Older thread watching iActive torque distribution

Read AT fluid temps

Last edited:
FORScan Lite is what you want.

Vgate VLinker is the bluetooth dongle (from Forscan site suggestion) that I use and just leave plugged in all the time.

It's very easy to use (I think) and set up what you want to display from lists of hundreds of PID's from the various control modules on the car.

One time $6 purchase for the app.

Here's a screenshot, as an example, of the page I run. There's another row or two of data below what's in the screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211205-210830.png
    Screenshot_20211205-210830.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 315
One reason for OBD Link is if you have other vehicles… it covers many other makes and years….

agree…if just need a solution for Mazda .. Forscan is a great option.. I’ve created similar dashboards

It does on my Lexus with these tools but unfortunately my '15 CX-5 has the "Indirect TPMS" system that doesn't have sensors on the valve stems so a no go for me to confirm that for your latter year CX-5 with the direct system.

Yes on AWD activity with both products. It is covered in one of the threads I posted above.

.... It's very easy to use (I think) and set up what you want to display from lists of hundreds of PID's from the various control modules on the car.....
When I was researching this stuff some months ago and checked the FORScan site, I saw the following note (which is still there): Note: New Mazda 7G models (2019+ Mazda 3 and CX-30) have very limited support yet.

With that warning about Mazda (even though they didn't include CX-5), and no way to find out exactly which PIDs they would provide for my vehicle, I decided at that point to not consider FORScan. However, I'm always willing to reconsider that type of decision, based on new information. So if you have a few minutes to spare, perhaps you can do a quick search, to see how many of the following PIDs are currently available in the Mazda package that you currently have.

Although there are hundreds of additional Mazda PIDs, I selected the group below because each one of them is referenced in one or more sections of the FSM, and used during diagnostic troubleshooting. Not asking you to spend lots of time on this - it would be fine to say that you found the first 5 PIDs or so on my list, because that would likely mean that most of the rest are available as well. If most of these are available in FORScan, then I'll definitely be on board with it. TIA.

OIL_P_SOL; OIL_PRES; VT_IN_DES; VT_IN_ACT; VT_EX_DES; VT_EX_ACT; ETC_DSD; ETC_ACT; EVAPCP; EVAPCV; FUELPW; ENG_CL_V_POS; ECT2_V

@edmaz , no trouble at all. I did a PID search by entering the first few letters of your requested examples. Didn't come up with any of them specifically. I wonder if those are specific to a gas engine? My FORScan lite appy won't show any PID's unless I'm actually hooked up to the vehicle and communicating making me think it gives me the list of available PID's to choose from based on the vehicle. (Mine being a 2019 cx5 diesel).

My Dad has a 2021 cx5 GT (whatever they call that trim now) I could try hooking up to next time he's around to see if I come up with those PID's on his newer gas powered (NA 2.5) model.

A couple screen shots for you ...

Screenshot_20211206-170232.png

Screenshot_20211206-170410.png

Screenshot_20211206-170540.png

My Dad has a 2021 cx5 GT (whatever they call that trim now) I could try hooking up to next time he's around to see if I come up with those PID's on his newer gas powered (NA 2.5) model.
I would appreciate that, but this isn't something I'm in immediate need of, so whenever it happens works fine for me.

Back