2007~2015 Wipers Only Work in Low and High Speed and Stop Anywhere

:
2014 Mazda CX-9
I searched far and wide, but didn't find the exact problem I'm having with my '14 CX-9 GT. I did find a thread about a Protoge5 that sounds nearly identical, but considering the HUGE difference in models and years of vehicles, I'll post a new one anyway. So...

My front wipers suddenly have the following behavior:

- Auto and Intermittent settings do nothing
- Pressing up to the single wipe "mist" cycle will start a cycle but stops in the middle or anywhere if I stop holding it up.
- Low and High speeds work, but similar to the mist cycle, will stop right where they are when they are turned off rather than returning to the rest position
- Spraying washer fluid does not automatically run the wipers either. They must be manually turned to low or high.

I have no checked fuses yet. The other thread I mentioned in the Protoge5 forum mentioned replacing the wiper stalk or possibly a relay.

Does anyone have any details about any of the above? Wiper stalk, fuses (specific fuse numbers), or location of the wiper relay, if that is the issue?

Thanks.

Not CX-9 specific, but there is usually a module inside wiper motor that does the park and delay. Don't see a listing on Rock Auto for it, so it might be part of a new wiper motor, dealer only, or not applicable to the 9.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Thanks. That complicates things, though. I was going to just buy a new stalk on RockAuto for $110 and hope it solves the problem. Worst case....I have a new wiper stalk...for whatever that's worth and I still need to manually cycle my wipers. I'm not sure how I can diagnose one or the other other than replacing the stalk. I'm assuming the wiper motor would be more. I'll have to dig into RockAuto a little more. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
There are definitely some gremlins in my CX-9. I discovered another strange symptom that I'm not positive is even related to the wipers. Doubtful, really. Now, the external button to open the tailgate has changed behavior. It should open the tailgate but now operates like a lock button, locking and unlocking the car when it's pressed. Using the button on the fob works normally. It's just the external button on the tailgate that changed behavior. I did change the battery a few weeks ago, but these symptoms started only recently, so I doubt it's related to the battery change either.

Upvote 0
That is how my external button has always worked (when it works). My research shows that that is the correct operation, just lock/unlock doors, not open tailgate. Maybe your gremlins are actually gone? LOL

I use my Compustar to do all that these days.

Upvote 0
Haha. That is really strange. I wonder if it can actually be changed like this, by choice, like the side mirror tilt feature that randomly turns itself on with no way to disable it that I've found.

Now I'm second guessing myself and how it's actually worked all this time. I've had the car over 6 years from new, though. It's not the end of the world. I'm just interpreting issues to determine if they're related. My wife reminded me that the auto-down and auto-up feature on the driver window didn't work for a week or 2 either. It does work now, though. I think I'm still going to go with replacing the wiper stalk since it seems like the most likely cause of wiper related issues like this.

Upvote 0
I am not aware of it being able to be changed. The mirror has a selector/lockout switch. I'm sure you are aware of that?

Upvote 0
The body control module is responsible for a lot of the functionality you are describing (door locking, window auto up/down, etc). Not sure if it controls the wipers as well but if you are chasing electrical gremlins I'd inspect the BCM. Do you have a sunroof?

Upvote 0
Yes, I have a sunroof, too. Being winter in Chicago, I haven't had much reason to use it, so I don't now if it's operating normally.

The body control module is responsible for a lot of the functionality you are describing (door locking, window auto up/down, etc). Not sure if it controls the wipers as well but if you are chasing electrical gremlins I'd inspect the BCM. Do you have a sunroof?

Upvote 0
I am not aware of it being able to be changed. The mirror has a selector/lockout switch. I'm sure you are aware of that?
Yes, I am aware of the mirror functionality. I just meant that I was overcomplicating it by assuming it was a setting somewhere in the Vehicle Setup options. I love when it's something simple like you described.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have a sunroof, too. Being winter in Chicago, I haven't had much reason to use it, so I don't now if it's operating normally.

Sometimes the drain for the sunroof gets clogged and water ends up running down the driver's side A pillar and can get into the BCM. Has the floor on the driver's side ever been damp?

Upvote 0
Sometimes the drain for the sunroof gets clogged and water ends up running down the driver's side A pillar and can get into the BCM. Has the floor on the driver's side ever been damp?
I've never noticed any water on the floor. This definitely is not a good time to look, either. Thanks for the tip, though.

Upvote 0
Hi graz34,
I am having the exact same problem and I was wondering if you've ever solved this. My CX9 is a 2010. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Back