Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

Tried to have it done today as I needed an oil change. Temps in Georgia are 85-95 right now so obviously there will be no confirmation of the issue. Also no codes will be thrown as the programming just needs to be updated. I had hoped I would get a better reception than I did with my email 6 mths ago but I did not. I asked if they wanted the TSB number, but they said they could look it up. After waiting three hours (I had asked for an oil change/rotation, check the shuddering front brakes and the TSB). They did the oil change/rotation and resurfaced my rotors (I was surprised they wouldn't just replace them did not know dealers actually reused anything anymore) and then said my car didn't have any TSB's. I had a long discussion with him- the SA asked where I had been driving the car that the temps would be low enough (seriously????). He said they had reset my PCM but as I was so persistent, he said he would talk to the tech and took the TSB number down to show them. I am hoping this will finally get taken care of but am pissed I waited three hours and still don't have the updates. Also it seems they expect me to pay for the resurfaced rotors. I was surprised at this as the car has 10k miles on the clock. Rotors shouldn't warp in such a short time frame without serious abuse (which I don't do). Other cars I have had this issue with in the past were covered under the factory warranty. They had computer issues at check out so they kept my ticket open. I have no paperwork to see what they did exactly as far as the TSB is concerned.

Tried to have it done today as I needed an oil change. Temps in Georgia are 85-95 right now so obviously there will be no confirmation of the issue. Also no codes will be thrown as the programming just needs to be updated. I had hoped I would get a better reception than I did with my email 6 mths ago but I did not. I asked if they wanted the TSB number, but they said they could look it up. After waiting three hours (I had asked for an oil change/rotation, check the shuddering front brakes and the TSB). They did the oil change/rotation and resurfaced my rotors (I was surprised they wouldn't just replace them did not know dealers actually reused anything anymore) and then said my car didn't have any TSB's. I had a long discussion with him- the SA asked where I had been driving the car that the temps would be low enough (seriously????). He said they had reset my PCM but as I was so persistent, he said he would talk to the tech and took the TSB number down to show them. I am hoping this will finally get taken care of but am pissed I waited three hours and still don't have the updates. Also it seems they expect me to pay for the resurfaced rotors. I was surprised at this as the car has 10k miles on the clock. Rotors shouldn't warp in such a short time frame without serious abuse (which I don't do). Other cars I have had this issue with in the past were covered under the factory warranty. They had computer issues at check out so they kept my ticket open. I have no paperwork to see what they did exactly as far as the TSB is concerned.

You definitely shouldn't have to pay for resurfacing unless there is some evidence of component abuse, IMO. Any premature brake work should be covered under the 1 year adjustment warranty. At least, that's how it is in Canada:

Annotation 2022-07-12 084535.png

Not sure if the US has the same thing, I couldn't find it on mazdausa.com.

Do you have a different Mazda dealer local to you? If so, I would just call the other dealership and see if they will apply the update for you. For whatever reason, many service techs at these dealerships are willing to lose lifelong customers over some trivial things like applying an update as detailed in a TSB. You can also ask to speak to a service manager, and if you can't get resolution there, go over their head to the dealership's general manager. All of this could have been avoided if the service writer just looked up the TSB when you first offered it and then did the update while they were doing the other work.

That is what I was thinking about the TSB. It's just a software update that won't take much time at all. Yes, we have other dealers and I will try that if I can't get it done at my dealer (who I have purchased two CX-5's from in the past 3 years). We have the same "adjustments" in the US, but I am at 14mths so maybe it isn't covered at this point. Should have taken it in earlier.

That is what I was thinking about the TSB. It's just a software update that won't take much time at all. Yes, we have other dealers and I will try that if I can't get it done at my dealer (who I have purchased two CX-5's from in the past 3 years). We have the same "adjustments" in the US, but I am at 14mths so maybe it isn't covered at this point. Should have taken it in earlier.

Despite that, I think I would still fight the charge. Needing to have your rotors resurfaced or replaced this early in the car's lifespan is premature, I would argue that maybe it was a manufacturer defect. I personally think it's annoying that despite your purchase history with this dealership, they still treat you this way.

Also, mazda brakes have a lifetime warranty (for parts). It doesn’t apply to labor, the mazdausa link says it is for pads and shoes, but here in canada Mazda changed my rotors under warranty after about 2.5 years. See the brake warranty section near the end of this page: Mazda Warranty Information | Mazda USA

Different dealers take tsb and warranty very differently. I had a transmission TSB on my previous Ford that 2 local dealers didn’t want to do. I was away for work in another city and brought to that dealer, they applied it no questions asked and it fixed the issue. It can be quite frustrating sometimes.

In my experience, wether you bought from them or not doesn’t really seems to make a difference. I buy where i get the best deal, and get the maintenance done where i get the best service.

Also, mazda brakes have a lifetime warranty (for parts). It doesn’t apply to labor, the mazdausa link says it is for pads and shoes, but here in canada Mazda changed my rotors under warranty after about 2.5 years. See the brake warranty section near the end of this page: Mazda Warranty Information | Mazda USA
That's interesting. However, that brake warranty link mentions pads and shoes but not rotors, and that warranty is for replacements that were paid for, not the originals on a new vehicle. That kind of lifetime warranty "for as long as you own the car" is not uncommon among brake shops, chains and other manufacturer dealers. It's a come-on like lifetime rotations from tire shops.

That warranty does not explain how you got rotors replaced under warranty. Perhaps Mazda Canada covers replacement rotors as well. However, you didn't say whether the rotors that went bad were replacements. It is also possible they were replacements deemed defective under the parts warranty that applies to all replacement parts other than brake pads if they went bad inside 12 months / 12,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting. However, that brake warranty link mentions pads and shoes but not rotors, and that warranty is for replacements that were paid for, not the originals on a new vehicle. That kind of lifetime warranty "for as long as you own the car" is not uncommon among brake shops, chains and other manufacturer dealers. It's a come-on like lifetime rotations from tire shops.

That warranty does not explain how you got rotors replaced under warranty. Perhaps Mazda Canada covers replacement rotors as well. However, you didn't say whether the rotors that went bad were replacements. It is also possible they were replacements deemed defective under the parts warranty that applies to all replacement parts other than brake pads if they went bad inside 12 months / 12,000 miles.

You are correct. To be honest i don’t really know. My rotors weren’t bad in a way that they were vibrating or anything. My rear pads were getting low and my rotors were a bit rusted (not uncommon here with all the salt on the road). They then said they could change my brakes under warranty, i was only charged the labor. I tought they were only replacing the rear pad, but when i came back to my car i noticed i had four new rotors.

Since i was charged labor only, i assumed they used the brake warranty. But my car was also under the 3 year warranty, so it may be a combination of both. The receipt wasn’t really clear on that.

I would expect the lifetime brake pad and shoe warranty also applies to original brakes, there shouldn’t be any difference, but you may be right that it might only be for replacement.

Last edited:

You are correct. To be honest i don’t really know. They were original rotors. My rotors weren’t bad in a way that they were vibrating or anything. My rear pads were getting low and my rotors were a bit rusted (not uncommon here with all the salt on the road). They then said they could change my brakes under warranty, i was only charged the labor and I tought rhey were only doing the rear pads. But when i came back to my car i noticed i had four new rotors.

Since i was charged labor only, i assumed they used the brake warranty. But my car was also under the 3 year warranty, so it may be a combination of both.

I would expect the lifetime brake pad and shoe warranty also applies to original brakes, there shouldn’t be any difference, but you may be right that it might only be for replacement parts.

Last edited:
Actually just went to read the receipt, it said they were replaced according to a service bulletin. It didn’t say which bulletin however.

I would expect the lifetime brake pad and shoe warranty also applies to original brakes, there shouldn’t be any difference, but you may be right that it might only be for replacement parts.
If you look at that warranty again you'll see the brake section is part of the replacement parts warranty. And the brake section makes reference to replacements.
Actually just went to read the receipt, it said they were replaced according to a service bulletin. It didn’t say which bulletin however.
A TSB makes sense. Maybe the attached TSB if it was your rear brakes that were serviced--some issue with the pad material used with electronic parking brake systems that causes rotor rust buildup. They've now switched to a different material. It calls for replacing or machining rotors in some circumstances, covered under the 36/36,000 warranty. Yours may have been machined if the shop has the equipment unless the invoice shows new ones installed.

Sorry to say, but if this was the applicable TSB and you were within the 36/36,000 warranty, they should not have charged you for labor.

Attachments

• Grinding noise from rear brakes.pdf
    403.9 KB · Views: 90
Definitely not machined. Since there was no corrosion anymore at all. Even in the ventilated area of the front disc.

I don’t know what they did honestly. This TSB should be free, and looks similar to the description on the invoice but they also did the front which is not covered by the TSB. The invoice only show work for the rear. In the end it was pretty cheap for a 4 x rotor and 4 pad job, so i didn’t complain.

All that to say, you are probably right that the lifetime warranty is only for replacement parts.

Definitely not machined. Since there was no corrosion anymore at all. Even in the ventilated area of the front disc.

I don’t know what they did honestly. This TSB should be free, and looks similar to the description on the invoice but they also did the front which is not covered by the TSB. The invoice only show work for the rear. In the end it was pretty cheap for a 4 x rotor and 4 pad job, so i didn’t complain.

All that to say, you are probably right that the lifetime warranty is only for replacement parts.
Well, if they did the fronts, and I see no TSB for those, I agree that was probably a good deal. As an added bonus the rear replacement pads are under that lifetime wear warranty, though not the rotors. I reckon full freight these days is around $350 - $400 US per axel for pads and rotors at a dealer shop in many places. That number might be low with wages having gone up quite a bit in recent years or in high cost of living areas. One other thing--you had me taking a close look at my rear rotors. ;) So far so good at almost 15,000 mi.

I was called by the dealer yesterday and they finally agreed to do the TSB. Just got back from having it done. They also did NOT charge me for the machining of the rotors. I was actually surprised to get machining done at all. I thought this was a lost art at dealerships. They just seem to replace rather than repair things. Interestingly on my invoice there is a note which says I declined having the engine air filter and cabin air filter replaced. They never asked about them at all. I wouldn't change them at 1yr/10k miles anyway and plan to do them myself....

Back