Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

I'm really not interested in bringing my new car (which now has CS intake and RB Exhaust) in to this dealer if it's going to be a continuation of the hassle that I've had thus far. I had a much, much better experience at the original dealer I bought the car from. I may just wait until I need an oil change and bring it to the original dealer... which ends up being a half-day adventure, ugh.
Same for me. I drive almost 2 hours to my dealer. They treat me with respect and it makes me want to do business with them.

There is a dealer in my local town and after an exchange I had with the service manager, I will never go there again.

I’m making the trip monday and getting the tsb done along with the 65k spark plug service. Excited for the trip!

All the service writer has to do it write 'confirmed customer concern' on the RO
When the service advisor writes “confirmed customer concern”, the tech needs to tell the SA he did find the power loss in the test drive, but the tech simply can’t do it in the above 20°F temperature.

Last edited:
⋯ I’m making the trip monday and getting the tsb done along with the 65k spark plug service. Excited for the trip!
See post #700 above for performing the TSB. It isn’t automatic to perform a TSB if the dealer can’t observe the symptom.

And the recommended spark plug change interval by Mazda for the 2.5T is 40,000 miles.

Same for me. I drive almost 2 hours to my dealer. They treat me with respect and it makes me want to do business with them.

There is a dealer in my local town and after an exchange I had with the service manager, I will never go there again.

I’m making the trip monday and getting the tsb done along with the 65k spark plug service. Excited for the trip!
I’ll 3rd that lol but with Toyota. I had such a crappy experience with the local dealer in Huntsville that I won’t spend another dime there again. I’ll drive an hour to Albertville where I had an honest and good purchase experience before I go to the local dealer. It is mind boggling how different two dealerships under the same brand are willing to manage themselves.

It's a dealer/service writer thing, not a manufacturer thing.

Regardless, I think printing the TSB and showing it to the Service writer may have been the way to go in the first place.
Yes, but if you can't get the car properly serviced, no ty. Goes for any brand.

See post #700 above for performing the TSB. It isn’t automatic to perform a TSB if the dealer can’t observe the symptom.

And the recommended spark plug change interval by Mazda for the 2.5T is 40,000 miles.
Yes. Both of those statements are true, as were mine.

My dealership is familiar with the issue and the TSB.

Regarding the spark plug service…I’m in metric units (like most the world), so I was referencing kilometres, not miles.

I just took mine in today, showed them the TSB and got the "we will have to run a complete diagnostic on it to see if we find the problem". I explained to him that it was a programing problem which it even states in the TSB, not so much a diagnostic problem. Then I got the "it could be a couple hours to do everything" I showed him that Mazda is only paying .3 hours to reprogram it. I told him that if they didn't want to do it to bring the car back out and I would take it to another dealer, he said he would discuss it with his Service manager. About a half hour later they brought it back out and said they performed the update and if that didn't cure the problem then they would have to do a complete diagnostic on it, although the invoice showed that no problems were found and the update to the ECM was done. Now I will have to wait for some frigid temps to see if they actually did do it, unless somebody knows of any other way to check.

I just took mine in today, showed them the TSB and got the "we will have to run a complete diagnostic on it to see if we find the problem". I explained to him that it was a programing problem which it even states in the TSB, not so much a diagnostic problem. Then I got the "it could be a couple hours to do everything" I showed him that Mazda is only paying .3 hours to reprogram it. I told him that if they didn't want to do it to bring the car back out and I would take it to another dealer, he said he would discuss it with his Service manager. About a half hour later they brought it back out and said they performed the update and if that didn't cure the problem then they would have to do a complete diagnostic on it, although the invoice showed that no problems were found and the update to the ECM was done. Now I will have to wait for some frigid temps to see if they actually did do it, unless somebody knows of any other way to check.
That's annoying, but I hope you're squared away.

Went into a dealer (note I didn't buy my car from this dealer, but it's much closer to me), asked the service writer if they could update the TCM and PCM software according to the TSB form 01-016/21 (on my phone - above).

Service writer was VERY defensive, stating that "forums are never right", and basically told me that I have no idea what I'm talking about and had no interest in seeing the form on my phone.

Service writer stated that Mazda doesn't pay to do service work if the issue can't be replicated.

I explained to him that it was the TSB FORM, not FORUM. I also attempted to explain to him the issue, stating it's a common problem.

Service writer was surprised and questioned how I got the TSB form/TSB Number. Asked if I had an official Mazda certified tech suggest this as a fix for the issue. I said no, and that the issue aligns with the issues that other CX-5 owners are having with the same exact vehicle.

Service writer reluctantly scheduled an appointment to replicate the issue (who knows if the temp is going to be cold enough for the power reduction to occur again).

I honestly didn't think it was going to be an ordeal, and it's kind of off-putting that this guy wouldn't listen to a knowledgeable person.

I'm really not interested in bringing my new car (which now has CS intake and RB Exhaust) in to this dealer if it's going to be a continuation of the hassle that I've had thus far. I had a much, much better experience at the original dealer I bought the car from. I may just wait until I need an oil change and bring it to the original dealer... which ends up being a half-day adventure, ugh.
Blacklist this service advisor and service center.

The Mazda (Palisades Mazda in NY) service center I went to treated me with premium courtesy.

Expecting some service centers to give resistance, I was ready to pay for the 18 mins (0.3 hrs) labor to reflash updates to both ECM/TCM, but they were more than happy to accommodate. Even updated infotainment firmware, gave me a complimentary oil/filter change, and offered tire rotation. I was confused and thought I was in a dealership for a luxury marque.

Expecting some service centers to give resistance, I was ready to pay for the 18 mins (0.3 hrs) labor to reflash updates to both ECM/TCM, but they were more than happy to accommodate. Even updated infotainment firmware, gave me a complimentary oil/filter change, and offered tire rotation. I was confused and thought I was in a dealership for a luxury marque.
This is how I felt at the dealership I got the vehicle from.

I just made the visit last Friday to my closest dealer which is a 2.5 hour drive. The complicating factor is that I live at 7000 feet in Flagstaff, AZ and the dealer is at 2000 in the Phoenix area. Friday morning when I left for my 11 am appt at the dealer, it was 10°F in Flagstaff and 45° in Phoenix.

I checked in for my appt and I had referenced the issue and the TSB in my online comments. At check-in, I was asked to tell them what the problem was, so I reinforced what I had entered for my appt. The service rep started with a statement to the effect that they were running late and they 1st have to do a bunch of diagnostics to confirm the problem before they can do the update, so it would be at least three hours before my car would be ready whether or not they could do the update.

Twice I had to explain, which I'm sure the rep understood the first time, about the inability to confirm the issue when it never goes below 20° in Phoenix.

Then a next level rep, who was standing about 10 feet away and listening, moved in. A couple of interactions with him including one where he said that I had come in with expectations of what would happen and how long it would take with no understanding of how things work. I almost started to lose it, but kept my friendly manner on and said, "so, you're telling me that even though you know it will be impossible to confirm the issue and that I've said that I've experienced it twice when pulling out into highway traffic is sub 20° temp, that you will keep my car for 3 hours and hand it back to me in the same condition it is now"?

My wife talked me into leaving it although I was ready to walk away. While we were outside the service office waiting for a courtesy ride to do some shopping while we waited, the second rep came out and said that the the service manager said they would go ahead and do the update as long as I understood that if it didn't fix the issue, I couldn't blame them. I agreed. The car was ready in an hour.

It was an effort expended that shouldn't have been needed, but they came around and did the right thing. All my standard oil changes and basic warranty work is done in Flagstaff by a well respected indy service shop.

By the time we returned to Flagstaff two days later it was too warm to confirm the update worked. I'll have another chance this Sunday or Monday when the morning temps dip into the teens.

I really don’t understand what their hesitation is to do this work. It’s basically a firmware update. It’s not our fault if it doesn’t fix it? Lol. Logic has no place in there.

I really don’t understand what their hesitation is to do this work. It’s basically a firmware update. It’s not our fault if it doesn’t fix it? Lol. Logic has no place in there.
Many dealers are afraid of not getting paid by Mazda North American Operations if they couldn’t verify the symptom described in the TSB but performed it anyway. I’d say rockethead26’s experience with his Mazda dealer is normal and expected.

I just made the visit last Friday to my closest dealer which is a 2.5 hour drive. The complicating factor is that I live at 7000 feet in Flagstaff, AZ and the dealer is at 2000 in the Phoenix area. Friday morning when I left for my 11 am appt at the dealer, it was 10°F in Flagstaff and 45° in Phoenix.

I checked in for my appt and I had referenced the issue and the TSB in my online comments. At check-in, I was asked to tell them what the problem was, so I reinforced what I had entered for my appt. The service rep started with a statement to the effect that they were running late and they 1st have to do a bunch of diagnostics to confirm the problem before they can do the update, so it would be at least three hours before my car would be ready whether or not they could do the update.

Twice I had to explain, which I'm sure the rep understood the first time, about the inability to confirm the issue when it never goes below 20° in Phoenix.

Then a next level rep, who was standing about 10 feet away and listening, moved in. A couple of interactions with him including one where he said that I had come in with expectations of what would happen and how long it would take with no understanding of how things work. I almost started to lose it, but kept my friendly manner on and said, "so, you're telling me that even though you know it will be impossible to confirm the issue and that I've said that I've experienced it twice when pulling out into highway traffic is sub 20° temp, that you will keep my car for 3 hours and hand it back to me in the same condition it is now"?

My wife talked me into leaving it although I was ready to walk away. While we were outside the service office waiting for a courtesy ride to do some shopping while we waited, the second rep came out and said that the the service manager said they would go ahead and do the update as long as I understood that if it didn't fix the issue, I couldn't blame them. I agreed. The car was ready in an hour.

It was an effort expended that shouldn't have been needed, but they came around and did the right thing. All my standard oil changes and basic warranty work is done in Flagstaff by a well respected indy service shop.

By the time we returned to Flagstaff two days later it was too warm to confirm the update worked. I'll have another chance this Sunday or Monday when the morning temps dip into the teens.
Pretty much the exact same experience I had, had to check to see that it wasn't my post. Ha ha.

Many dealers are afraid of not getting paid by Mazda North American Operations if they couldn’t verify the symptom described in the TSB but performed it anyway. I’d say rockethead26’s experience with his Mazda dealer is normal and expected.
I have to disagree. Nobody should have to expect a 3 hour wait to inevitably hear “the problem couldn’t be replicated” because the environmental conditions weren’t correct. That’s the part that defies logic to me. They knew there was going to be an upset customer in a few hrs, so they realized check a box and perform the update is the best solution.

I have to disagree. Nobody should have to expect a 3 hour wait to inevitably hear “the problem couldn’t be replicated” because the environmental conditions weren’t correct. That’s the part that defies logic to me. They knew there was going to be an upset customer in a few hrs, so they realized check a box and perform the update is the best solution.
If Mazda wants to be perceived as moving upscale, they’re going to have to get better at handling situations like this.

It seems like the answer is with rockethead26's post.

If you ask them to update your PCM/TCM, they won't have a problem, but if you ask them to fix the no boost on 1st/2nd below 20deg F, they resist.

Back