Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

What is your instant mpg readout under wot in 1st and 2nd? If youre being nerfed it will be 1.6 and near 3mpg by 60+. If not, barely 1s, low 2s by 60+, as I recall. This is the easiest way that does not rely on your "feelings and perceptions".
Okay, 15F this morning.

Slight incline, floored it, initially 1.1 mpg, then 2.2 mpg at 60 mph.

Turned around, slight decline, floored it, initially 1.2 mpg, then 2.8 mpg at 60 mph.

Hope this is helpful. I had not considered that the instantaneous mph correlates with fuel consumption, which in turn correlates with O2 consumption, which (if you know the un-boosted rate) implies boost or lack thereof. Cool.

Frank

Okay, 15F this morning.

Slight incline, floored it, initially 1.1 mpg, then 2.2 mpg at 60 mph.

Turned around, slight decline, floored it, initially 1.2 mpg, then 2.8 mpg at 60 mph.

Hope this is helpful. I had not considered that the instantaneous mph correlates with fuel consumption, which in turn correlates with O2 consumption, which (if you know the un-boosted rate) implies boost or lack thereof. Cool.

Frank
Looks to me like they fixed you up. No way you're hitting 2.2mpg at 60 when she's limping. Feel normal to you?

Last edited:
It’s fixed! Just got my car back from the dealership, and based on feel and engine sound I’m going to say all 250hp are present and accounted for.

9E7C446F-FD20-4737-B9D6-A78E1A0DA227.jpeg

2C672C25-8549-4740-8A3C-3EEFA9A0E4D8.jpeg

It’s fixed! Just got my car back from the dealership, and based on feel and engine sound I’m going to say all 250hp are present and accounted for.

View attachment 306667

View attachment 306666

Thanks for posting those pics! I don't know why it was so difficult to get Mazda to admit why they tuned the PCM and TCM that way. But at least it's no longer a concern.

I have to wonder now though. Will the '22s with the 2.5T also have this restriction? Since it isn't included in the TSB, one might assume the issue isn't there on the new MY.

PCM on the few 2022 Turbos (not the Sig) that I checked is Rev.letter B at the end.
which is usually an update/fixes over the previous version of A. The TCM is at rev.A. What is included in each revision only Mazda knows. One could speculate the software fix is already in the 2020.
Overall Mazda is pretty good and regular with the software fixes. My 2018 has at least 6-7 revisions over time for the PCM and with the latest version all issues that were reported and experienced during the last 3 yrs are resolved. The car is now much more fun to drive than what it was 2 yrs ago :)

Last edited:
I don't know why it was so difficult to get Mazda to admit why they tuned the PCM and TCM that way. But at least it's no longer a concern.

I have to wonder now though. Will the '22s with the 2.5T also have this restriction?

From Mazda's explanation, the difference in TCM/ECM programming between CX5 turbo and CX9 is because of the roughly 500 lb difference to control slippage in 1st and 2nd? Seems odd.

------------

I still think they may have pulled torque as damage control on the CX5 turbo when they started seeing CX9s come in with cracked head-manifold join and wanted to play safe until they ascertained that pulling torque when cold was over-compensating. This reason is harder to put on paper.

And since '22s came out after that coolant leak TSB, it could be that they already have done enough testing to have confidence that '22s can be released without the handicap. We'll see.

Last edited:
From Mazda's explanation, the difference in TCM/ECM programming between CX5 turbo and CX9 is because of the roughly 500 lb difference to control slippage in 1st and 2nd? Seems odd.

------------

I still think they may have pulled torque as damage control on the CX5 turbo when they started seeing CX9s come in with cracked head-manifold join and wanted to play safe until they ascertained that pulling torque when cold was over-compensating. This reason is harder to put on paper.

And since '22s came out after that coolant leak TSB, it could be that they already have done enough testing to have confidence that '22s can be released without the handicap. We'll see.

it is for dmg control but my bet is it has nothing related to the cracked engine head. Its most likely to protect the transmission , transfer case and differentials.
Notice its also only for the 4wd.

My dealer came back and told me this:

"We would have to be able to duplicate the concern. If possible maybe do an overnight drop off to where we have a cold start on the vehicle."

Interesting to me as I would think me saying I had the issue would suffice considering how rare 20F temps are in Georgia (the TSB states the customer complaints have been for 0F temps which is not what people in this thread are saying). I would get it if I was asking for replacement of a part, but this is simply a software update and I have purchased two cars from this dealer over the last 3 yrs. It looks like the warranty time allowed is 0.3hrs so not really a significant expense to anyone. They really should just say "come on in and we will take care of it".

Anyone else notice that the description says "0 F"? I'm assuming this is a typo as the issue is usually noticed at or below 20 F.
Going with typo. It was between 10-13 degrees Fahrenheit today and power felt good in all 1st and 2nd gear scenarios. It’ll be -3 when I leave work tonight. I’ll confirm again.

Going with typo. It was between 10-13 degrees Fahrenheit today and power felt good in all 1st and 2nd gear scenarios. It’ll be -3 when I leave work tonight. I’ll confirm again.
Nice I'm vicariously excited for you. My appointment is in a week and it's supposed to be lows in the single digits here for the next 10 days or so. This really is a huge and unexpected resolution to the problem. Thanks to you and the person on the JBR forum who brought this to your attention! You guys are truly heros in the CX5 community and deserve an award or something.

PCM on the few 2022 Turbos (not the Sig) that I checked is Rev.letter B at the end.
which is usually an update/fixes over the previous version of A. The TCM is at rev.A. What is included in each revision only Mazda knows. One could speculate the software fix is already in the 2020.
Overall Mazda is pretty good and regular with the software fixes. My 2018 has at least 6-7 revisions over time for the PCM and with the latest version all issues that were reported and experienced during the last 3 yrs are resolved. The car is now much more fun to drive than what it was 2 yrs ago :)
Is this just the latest version of the firmware [that has the fix included] or is it specific new file(s)/config?
i.e. if my 2021 CX-5 firmware is updated in future with the then latest version, will this fix be automatically included or does the dealer still have to do something specific related to this TSB?

Is this just the latest version of the firmware [that has the fix included] or is it specific new file(s)/config?
i.e. if my 2021 CX-5 firmware is updated in future with the then latest version, will this fix be automatically included or does the dealer still have to do something specific related to this TSB?
That’s a question for your service advisor.

Yes. latest version always includes all previous fixes for your specific PCM (engine control). Mazda calls it calibration file/ver. Same for the TCM (transmission control)
Actually there isnt even easy way for the dealer to go to an older version and there is no point as well.
At the time of the update the car always gets the very latest as of that moment.
You will be ok.

Last edited:
Yes. latest version always includes all previous fixes for your specific PCM (engine control). Mazda calls it calibration file/ver. Same for the TCM (transmission control)
Actually there isnt even easy way for the dealer to go to an older version and there is no point as well.
At the time of the update the car always gets the very latest as of that moment.
You will be ok.
Thanks.
Are they [software updates to PCM/TCM] installed as a pair i.e. if get latest PCM version will almost always also get the latest TCM [and vice versa]?
I say 'almost always' incase it's 2 separate installs and dealer may do one [to fix some issue you have] but forget to check/do the other [which is unrelated to the fix of your issue]
Is there any way to check the version e.g. using OBD - the "File Name" mentioned in jcrout7992 images presumably relate to the version number
Apologies for all the questions, hopefully someone may know!
TIA

They are 2 separate independent updates.
Actually nowadays its rare to see both being updated in the same tsb. This tsb being the exception but the dealer updated each separately on this one. Dealer will update only what is written in the tsb. They wont update anything else. Hope this makes sense.

yes you can see the calibration ver. of each module in your car.
It shows in forscan app (the name is not calibration but it was something else in the app) and may be in other scan tools but I use forscan most of the time. I dont know how well forscan works with 2021 models though as Mazda changed lots of things (new gen software, new infotainment software, etc) in this year cx5.
The old one had lots of similaritiee with ford based prior 2021. forscan is mostly for Ford although it works with Mazda too.
It does show in the official Mazda dealer tool too
Enjoy your car and dont think so much about it.

Last edited:
They are 2 separate independent updates.
Actually nowadays its rare to see both being updated in the same tsb. This tsb being the exception but the dealer updated each separately on this one. Dealer will update only what is written in the tsb. They wont update anything else. Hope this makes sense.
Yes, thanks
yes you can see the calibration ver. of each module in your car.
It shows in forscan app (the name is not calibration but it was something else in the app) and may be in other scan tools but I use forscan most of the time. I dont know how well forscan works with 2021 models though as Mazda changed lots of things (new gen software, new infotainment software, etc) in this year cx5.
The old one had lots of similaritiee with ford based prior 2021. forscan is mostly for Ford although it works with Mazda too.
I recently got the latest FORScan lite [android] & there are low 100's of PID's [car Parameters ID's] on my CX-5 2021 [Gen7] - alot have duplicate values. I'll have a closer look [the search doesn't always work that well] as I was going to try to figure out which wheel corresponds to each PID [numbered 1 to 4] for individual tyre pressures [and temp, and what looks like TPMS sensor id] - vals seem about right [35-37psi, quoted to one decimal place]. Unless there is a better method [don't want to buy a TPMS tool], was going to try varying the pressure [I have a pump] and see what value changes?
It does show in the official Mazda dealer tool too
Enjoy your car and dont think so much about it.

Yes, thinking about things too much is a bad habit...:rolleyes:

Back