Windshield broken - What to test after replacement?

:
2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)
My wife is down in Florida visiting her mother, and last week there was a major hailstorm that did considerable damage to our 2019 CX-5 (Touring), including both front and rear windows smashed. She just had them replaced today, so I want to tell her what to test, so we can be sure the through-windsheild electronics have been restored correctly.

So far, I can only think of the rain-sensing wipers and lane departure camera. Anything else I missed (I'm sure there's more than this)?

We'll leave the myriad of body dings until she gets back home.

They should know that a calibration is required, usually the dealer needs to do this. Radar is in the Mazda emblem.

My wife is down in Florida visiting her mother, and last week there was a major hailstorm that did considerable damage to our 2019 CX-5 (Touring), including both front and rear windows smashed. She just had them replaced today, so I want to tell her what to test, so we can be sure the through-windsheild electronics have been restored correctly.

So far, I can only think of the rain-sensing wipers and lane departure camera. Anything else I missed (I'm sure there's more than this)?

We'll leave the myriad of body dings until she gets back home.
yes those two modules. But usually the dash lights up with yellow warnings if the camera is badly misaligned after driving a bit. The distance cruise control and smart city braking and auto high beam if the car has it.

It needs to be calibrated...

"As a special caution, vehicles equipped with i-ACTIVSENSE, forward sensing cameras require the aiming procedure if the windshield is replaced or reused."

The manual for the 2020 (page 4-207) states the following:

"Your vehicle is equipped with a Forward Sensing Camera (FSC). The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) is positioned near the rearview mirror and used by the following systems.

 High Beam Control System (HBC)
 Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
 Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR)
 Advanced Smart City Brake Support (Advanced SCBS)
 Smart City Brake Support (SCBS)
 Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)
 Smart Brake Support (SBS)"

There's more detail sprinkled throughout the manual though I don't see anything describing how the camera participates in radar cruise. Of course any of the functions that perform automatic braking can't be prudently tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, yes, that would be the full list, thanks! And yes, I'm not going to ask her to test auto braking :)

I'm still surprised that the FSC has anything to do with the Radar Cruise Control, though.

And, for what it's worth, here's what the manual states about the front grill sensor:

Your vehicle is equipped with a radar sensor (front).

The following systems also use the radar sensor (front).

• Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS)
  • Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)
  • Smart Brake Support (SBS)
The radar sensor (front) functions by detecting the radio waves reflected off a vehicle ahead or an obstruction sent from the radar sensor.

The radar sensor (front) is mounted behind the front emblem.

I would insist on getting the camera recalibrated if it were my vehicle. This should not be a question.

I'm still surprised that the FSC has anything to do with the Radar Cruise Control, though.
Well, it's not an isolated mistake on the the page I referenced. There are numerous references throughout the manual to that affect, including warnings about how radar cruise is affected if the camera malfunctions. What respective roles the radar and camera play in the process is above my pay grade which happens to be $0. ;)

The term "radar cruise" is misleading which is probably the cause for surprise. "Smart cruise" or some such would have been better though I tend to choke on the word "smart" when it comes to machines.

56A85642-3B7D-433A-B622-15458EF4B100.jpeg

this is what stops to function normally when the Front camera is not operating as expected.

And it is not always mandatory to calibrate it after windshield change. But it is recommended.
I wont go into too much details just say that there are scenarios when calibration is not needed.

And it is not always mandatory to calibrate it after windshield change. But it is recommended.
I wont go into too much details just say that there are scenarios when calibration is not needed.
Why take the risk? You're paying for the windshield, get the calibration. I would think insurance companies would require it. It's in their best interest.

Absolutely agree on this. Just saying that sometimes its not needed. For example if everything works after the replacement and they did not do it on the invoice it may be because they know how to change the windshield without the need for calibration.

Apart from that and since the front cam is part of the I-activesense safety systems on the CX5 its worth going to a place which knows what they are doing. As well as asking for oem windshield where available.

Had extensive hail damage (just the body; no damage to glass) a number of years back on an Explorer. I took the cash from the claim and had nothing fixed. Three years later, pretty much all of the dings had popped out on their own...this was in Minnesota. The only dings I could still see were those on the plastic trim around windows, etc.

OK, so an update. I just got a copy of the receipt from Safelite from my wife. I was a bit stunned yat the cost... To replace the front windshield, the total was $877! This broke down to $345 for the glass, plus $80 labor plus tax and $395 for the calibration. Nearly four hundred bucks just to calibrate? WTF? What on earth do they do that costs that much?

Moral of this story: do NOT get your windshield broken.

OK, so an update. I just got a copy of the receipt from Safelite from my wife. I was a bit stunned yat the cost... To replace the front windshield, the total was $877! This broke down to $345 for the glass, plus $80 labor plus tax and $395 for the calibration. Nearly four hundred bucks just to calibrate? WTF? What on earth do they do that costs that much?

That actually seems quite reasonable to me.

It gets a lot worse with a heads up display.

Also, I've got a new dime-to-nickel sized star crack in another car--$150 quote from Safelite to fill it.

the calibration addon is pure profit scheme :)
They dont do much but since its requirement they use to profit and bill it to the insurance.
Gone are the good old days when windshield replacement was 200-250$

the price of the glass itself is actually relatively cheap.
Oems and especially with the Hud are 800+ alone for the glass.

Back