Wind noise at higher speed

darekd

:
2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Sky Blue
I've had my CX-5 for over 6 months now and I've been very happy with the car. The only annoying problem is wind noise. This only occurs at speed above 60 or higher winds. As I can tell, something around passenger A-pillar catches wind. It could be wiper, roof rail or plastic cover at the bottom of the windshield. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

I've had my CX-5 for over 6 months now and I've been very happy with the car. The only annoying problem is wind noise. This only occurs at speed above 60 or higher winds. As I can tell, something around passenger A-pillar catches wind. It could be wiper, roof rail or plastic cover at the bottom of the windshield. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
If you have the optional roof rails you will experience more wind noise at higher speeds.This is true of any car or suv with roof rails.

Well my last car a Xtrail had rails but I noticed no wind noise?

On the motorway today up to 85mph and no excess wind noise, I find the wind noise can vary according to the wind direction.

I also remember that of the four test drives I had, the only one of the four that had really bad wind noise also had mirror shake, bad mirror shake.
Perhaps there is a connection, but I'm very happy with mine, little wind noise and no mirror shake, nor can I see hood shake.

I've noticed something very similar on mine above 60 mph. Doesn't do it all the time (maybe has something to do with wind direction vs direction of travel) and sounds like a light rain hitting the right hand portion of the windshield. Is that what you're talking about?

I've noticed something very similar on mine above 60 mph. Doesn't do it all the time (maybe has something to do with wind direction vs direction of travel) and sounds like a light rain hitting the right hand portion of the windshield. Is that what you're talking about?

I have the same problem. It only happens when driving fast (75+) in cross or head winds.
Mine occurs on the drivers side of the car.

I have tracked the source of the noise down to the little rubbery piece in the bottom corners of the windshield. It is loose, and if I fling it with my finger I can replicate the noise without the car moving..

Now the question is how to fix this noise? Hot glue to rubbery thing to the windshield?

I have the same problem. It only happens when driving fast (75+) in cross or head winds.
Mine occurs on the drivers side of the car.

I have tracked the source of the noise down to the little rubbery piece in the bottom corners of the windshield. It is loose, and if I fling it with my finger I can replicate the noise without the car moving..

Now the question is how to fix this noise? Hot glue to rubbery thing to the windshield?

The plastic (rubber) piece on the passenger side is more loose than the one on the driver side. The noise is more rattling than whistling and it's definitely much worse in crosswinds. The plastic piece might be the culprit.

Last edited:
The plastic (rubber) piece on the passenger side is more loose than the one on the driver side. The noise is more rattling than whistling and it's definitely much worse in crosswinds. The plastic piece might be the culprit.

On mine the drivers side is more loose.
Hopefully there is a TSB for this.. otherwise I'll have to fix it myself with some glue and that won't be pretty.

Well my last car a Xtrail had rails but I noticed no wind noise?
The X-trail likely had more road noise than the CX-5 which comes with relatively quiet tires. More road noise will mask your perception of wind noise. Overall, the CX-5 is relatively quiet.

Can anyone take a picture of this "rubber thing". When I go to purchase my CX 5 I want to pay close attention to it on the test drive.
Thanks guys

Can anyone take a picture of this "rubber thing". When I go to purchase my CX 5 I want to pay close attention to it on the test drive.
Thanks guys

Hopefully the picture will show up..
This is a very "minor" issue, and the fix for it should be trivial (once you know what is causing the tapping/rattle sound). I first noticed it about 4 months ago, but just this past weekend I was able to figure out the culprit.

For me it only happens at 75+ in crosswinds. Without wind the rattle has never happened even at 90.

Car0001.JPG

I seriously doubt this trim strip is the cause of the noise piotrek91. It fits so snugly against the windshield on both sides it's hard to imagine a crosswind lifting it off the glass. I suppose one way to test your theory is to jamb something under the trim and see if the noise goes away.

I seriously doubt this trim strip is the cause of the noise piotrek91. It fits so snugly against the windshield on both sides it's hard to imagine a crosswind lifting it off the glass. I suppose one way to test your theory is to jamb something under the trim and see if the noise goes away.

sorry about the poor quality picture. I sized it down way too small.

It's not the "trim strip" I'm talking about. It's that rather large rubbery piece that extends from where the arrow ends down to the bottom of the windshield. This piece definitely does not fit snugly on my car. It is enough to lightly tap the piece to get it to make the noise.

I tried to circle the piece in question:
Car0001.JPG

sorry about the poor quality picture. I sized it down way too small.

It's not the "trim strip" I'm talking about. It's that rather large rubbery piece that extends from where the arrow ends down to the bottom of the windshield. This piece definitely does not fit snugly on my car. It is enough to lightly tap the piece to get it to make the noise.

I tried to circle the piece in question:
View attachment 204135
I understood which piece you were referring to. Still not buying it. As noted above, the noise on my car comes from the right hand side and the piece you point out is the last thing I would attribute it to. Sorry, but I think this is a dead end.

I'm leaving on a longer road trip later today, so I'll probably experience the noise again (if the wind is blowing hard enough).
I'll report back on Tuesday if jamming something under that trim (if I can get it to stay) fixes the problem.

I confirmed that the plastic piece is the source of the noise by fixing it. I removed the plastic by gently pulling from the bottom. There are two tabs that release relatively easily. The top slides out. I dipped 3/4 of plastic (the top portion) in hot (boiling) water. After 30 seconds I removed it and re-shaped it slightly by dipping in cold water. You have to hold the plastic certain way when dipping in cold water. You will know which way. I installed the plastic back and now it touches the windshield with greater force. To test it, I went on interstate and at 75 there was no noise. Before I could hear it at anything above 65.

Last edited:
I confirmed that the plastic piece is the source of the noise by fixing it. I removed the plastic by gently pulling from the bottom. There are two tabs that release relatively easily. The top slides out. I dipped 3/4 of plastic (the top portion) in hot (boiling) water. After 30 seconds I removed it and re-shaped it slightly by dipping in cold water. You have to hold the plastic certain way when dipping in cold water. You will know which way. I installed the plastic back and now it touches the windshield with greater force. To test it, I went on interstate and at 75 there was no noise. Before I could hear it at anything above 65.

Glad you fixed it darekd! hopefully it stays fixed.

On my roadtrip this past weekend there wasn't any significant wind, so despite hitting 95MPH the noise did not occur.
See the "who loves their CX-5" thread for some pictures showing off how awesome the CX-5 is.

I find this interesting, can you post a picture of the offending piece?

Back