Wife got T-Boned - Wrote off CX-5

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
So, the wife was driving and got t-boned by a guy that blew a stop sign and hit her doing about 60km/hr.

Truck is wrote off. It's just a baby too. 31k kms.

2017 CX-5 GT no Tech.

IMG-7842-1.jpg

IMG-7843-1.jpg

Z46Oo0b.jpg

8Dy1TKV.jpg

2OOis8s.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like he*s tried to upload photos but directly instead of via an image hosting site. The best free one and dead easy to use is Postimage.org

Nowadays a vehicle seems to suffer very minimum damage and it's totaled! Glad there's nobody got hurt!

Nowadays a vehicle seems to suffer very minimum damage and it's totaled! Glad there's nobody got hurt!

Dude that's a good hit on a key structural member of the car. The whole structure in that area is tweaked. Door is done. Airbags went off. Plus where the impact was I wouldn't be surprised if there's also underlying rear suspension and driveline issues.

I'm glad everyone's OK. It looks like the car took the hit well. Cars can be replaced. I don't know where you are in Canada and how insurance is in your province. Do you have new vehicle replacement (waiver of depreciation) coverage and are you still within it?

Dude that's a good hit on a key structural member of the car. The whole structure in that area is tweaked. Door is done. Airbags went off. Plus where the impact was I wouldn't be surprised if there's also underlying rear suspension and driveline issues.
Right? I see people, generally older people, say this all the time. "Remember the good old days when you'd get in an accident and the car wouldn't be totaled???"
Yea... the people would be totaled... but the cars were OK. (hand)

I'm glad everyone's OK. It looks like the car took the hit well. Cars can be replaced. I don't know where you are in Canada and how insurance is in your province. Do you have new vehicle replacement (waiver of depreciation) coverage and are you still within it?

Bingo.

sorry to hear about the car but happy to hear your wife is safe.
as others have mentioned, cars can be replaced.

Was the CX her primary vehicle?

Not sure how the insurance company would handle this in Canada, but in US this CX-5 will get purchased fast by someone in auction, as the damage like this can easily be "fixed" by a body shop and resell it with a salvage title.

Right? I see people, generally older people, say this all the time. "Remember the good old days when you'd get in an accident and the car wouldn't be totaled???"
Yea... the people would be totaled... but the cars were OK. (hand)
Not sure how old are you, but I find this post is full of prejudice against "older people"!

Do you really believe an accident like this someone would get "totaled"???

"Older people" many grew up in the tougher environment, some even barely to have enough food to eat when they were young. Some had seen friends and family starving to death, or got killed in the civil war, or even in the Vietnam War. It's very understandable that if some of them put more emphasis to material than human life because they have seen too many death.

Not sure how the insurance company would handle this in Canada, but in US this CX-5 will get purchased fast by someone in auction, as the damage like this can easily be "fixed" by a body shop and resell it with a salvage title.

If the damage wasn't deemed to be significant, the car wouldn't be totalled and it wouldn't be going to auction. In my experience, if a car's history shows that airbags have gone off as a result of a collision, it lowers the value of the car significantly because that implies that the damage was substantial. Looking at the damage on clownshoes2's wife's car, it doesn't look like much at first, but I wouldn't assume that it's easy to realign the door/door hinges, and I wouldn't assume that the damage in the pictures is all that needs to be repaired. As Studum suggested, there may be additional damage to the suspension/driveline components and damage to the frame that may not be apparent in these pictures.

This is why I won't buy a salvage title car without knowing it's history. You wouldn't be able to tell if the shop properly repaired the damage or just took shortcuts in the repair. Then when it goes for a safety inspection, you don't know if the shop doing the safety is on the level. The first car I bought had a salvage title, and while I had a good experience with it, I've read about and heard about way too many horror stories to even consider a salvage vehicle in the future. It's just not worth it IMO.

BTW clownshoes2, glad to hear your wife is ok. What was the other person driving when they hit her?

Last edited:
Nowadays a vehicle seems to suffer very minimum damage and it's totaled!

LOL, sound like the insurance company that cut me a low-ball check off of a picture instead of having someone actually look and inspect the damage.

Not sure how old are you, but I find this post is full of prejudice against "older people"!

Do you really believe an accident like this someone would get "totaled"???

"Older people" many grew up in the tougher environment, some even barely to have enough food to eat when they were young. Some had seen friends and family starving to death, or got killed in the civil war, or even in the Vietnam War. It's very understandable that if some of them put more emphasis to material than human life because they have seen too many death.

I think you are reading far too much into what 7eregrine said.

He is simply stating that modern cars are designed to crumple in ways that yes, make them far easier to total, but in return also make them substantially safer for the occupants than how cars used to be where the car was more solid sure, but was also less safe for the occupants.

And I had to walk 5 miles to school and back, up hill both ways! Kids nowadays...

Unibody is more likely to be totaled with body damage than body on frame.

Back